talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Steven Gerrard - How's He Doing?

football forum

On 16/12/2020 at 21:50, Stan said:

Got the equaliser in the 88th then conceded again in stoppage time xD 

To be fair, it's probably the cup that's not a high priority for them...

I think it's fair to say that the League Cup is far more valued in Scotland than it is in England when, realistically, it's only one of three trophies that any Scottish club could win.

It's fair to say any Old Firm manager has expectations by their fans to win every domestic trophy going. Especially an Old Firm manager who is in his third year without winning a trophy... With Celtic, odds on to add another just this Sunday.

I think it's difficult for people outside the bubble of Scotland to understand the pressure of being involved in either of these clubs and has shown to be very difficult for any player, regardless of talent, to suddenly have the mentality required for them.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

I think it's fair to say that the League Cup is far more valued in Scotland than it is in England when, realistically, it's only one of three trophies that any Scottish club could win.

It's fair to say any Old Firm manager has expectations by their fans to win every domestic trophy going. Especially an Old Firm manager who is in his third year without winning a trophy... With Celtic, odds on to add another just this Sunday.

I think it's difficult for people outside the bubble of Scotland to understand the pressure of being involved in either of these clubs and has shown to be very difficult for any player, regardless of talent, to suddenly have the mentality required for them.

Whats the 3rd trophy? 

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Interesting to see his next move now. Will he hold out for a big opportunity or will he join a club at a similar level like MK Dons?

I'll be astonished if it's anything other than the Liverpool job.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Whiskey said:

I'll be astonished if it's anything other than the Liverpool job.

Might be a bad call though if he did, Graeme Souness managed Rangers years back and won 3 Scottish League Titles & 4 Scottish League Cups, left for the Liverpool job in 1991 and only won the League Cup in 1992 then got the sack in 1994. :coffee:

1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

Might be a bad call though if he did, Graeme Souness managed Rangers years back and won 3 Scottish League Titles & 4 Scottish League Cups, left for the Liverpool job in 1991 and only won the League Cup in 1992 then got the sack in 1994. :coffee:

I don't think it will end well, but I just think it's what the fans want and that even though he shouldn't be sacked, I think Klopp could be on his way out between now and the next 18 months. 

High on the success of Rangers, I can see Liverpool turning to Gerrard (as opposed to Nagelsmann, Allegri etc).

• Subscriber

Rangers: Michael Beale - meet the man behind Steven Gerrard's success

download.thumb.png.3d6a63ee48abfa2ab9e9b338d1fc107e.png

"A lot of people won't have a clue what Michael Beale does on the Rangers training pitch, but what he does is really quite special."

It is difficult to find a more defining day in Rangers' ascent to the summit of Scottish football than 4 May 2018 - simply because there isn't one.

Steven Gerrard was paraded as the Ibrox side's new manager in front of a crowd of thousands, all of whom would have been desperate for him to revive the fortunes of a club that could not even call themselves second best in the country at that point.

A month later, the former England captain confirmed his coaching staff. Fellow former Liverpool midfielder and former Scotland captain Gary McAllister was a big-name appointment as an assistant but the arrival of first-team coach Michael Beale perhaps slipped under the radar.

To this day, outside Ibrox, there is still an element of the unknown when it comes to the 40-year-old's work. But, three years on, it has become clear that he may well have proven to be Gerrard's best signing.

But how did the former Chelsea, Liverpool and Sao Paolo coach come to be at Ibrox and how he has had such a monumental impact on Rangers?

FULL REPORT

• Subscriber
On 07/03/2021 at 12:40, Whiskey said:

I don't think it will end well, but I just think it's what the fans want and that even though he shouldn't be sacked, I think Klopp could be on his way out between now and the next 18 months. 

High on the success of Rangers, I can see Liverpool turning to Gerrard (as opposed to Nagelsmann, Allegri etc).

Mark Lawrenson

'Managing Liverpool a step up'

There has always been the issue of whether Steven will manage Liverpool or not. Due to Liverpool's poor season, everyone is saying 'Steven will be next, Steven will be next', so that shout has grown louder.

What I would say is that, for all the success at Rangers, managing Liverpool is on a different spectrum. It would be a massive step. It would be a big gamble for the club's owners - Fenway Sports Group - to appoint him.

I think the one-eyed Liverpool fan would be saying 'Get Stevie G in' if Jurgen Klopp were to leave, but I think others would take a step back and go: 'he's done an absolutely fabulous job at Rangers, he was a great player, but maybe he would need to take another job in the Premier League first'.

FULL REPORT

On 07/03/2021 at 04:37, CaaC (John) said:

Souness's big mistake was tearing up King Kenny's side to "make his stamp" on the side, imo. Too many changes and let too many good players go without adequately replacing them - made his own job bigger really.

It's always a risk with any new manager tbh. Past success somewhere else doesn't mean any manager will be successful somewhere else.

Honestly, if I had to guess who our next manager would be... I think Pep Ljinders is being groomed for the job post-Klopp. But I do think Stevie will have the job one day. I'm just not sure it'll be his next job. Although, tbh, I think doing well at Rangers is probably better preparation for managing Liverpool than many jobs he might get in England. The pressure and expectation at an Old Firm club is higher, because they're two of the biggest British sides around - and managing one of them means a higher likelihood of managing in Europe too.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Souness's big mistake was tearing up King Kenny's side to "make his stamp" on the side, imo. Too many changes and let too many good players go without adequately replacing them - made his own job bigger really.

It's always a risk with any new manager tbh. Past success somewhere else doesn't mean any manager will be successful somewhere else.

Honestly, if I had to guess who our next manager would be... I think Pep Ljinders is being groomed for the job post-Klopp. But I do think Stevie will have the job one day. I'm just not sure it'll be his next job. Although, tbh, I think doing well at Rangers is probably better preparation for managing Liverpool than many jobs he might get in England. The pressure and expectation at an Old Firm club is higher, because they're two of the biggest British sides around - and managing one of them means a higher likelihood of managing in Europe too.

Most definitely true. Liverpool were ticking along nicely, a few tweaks each year. Souness tried to fix something that wasn't broken.

Great player.....shit manager afaic.

14 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But I do think Stevie will have the job one day.

A thought echoed by almost every Gers fan that I know, heard and read and believe me when he does leave Rangers it will be with the best of wishes from each and every one of them.

14 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Although, tbh, I think doing well at Rangers is probably better preparation for managing Liverpool than many jobs he might get in England.

I agree. He has done a tremendous job up here, taken us step by step since he arrived and (at least one of) his goals has been achieved. We all know the overall standard domestically of our top league in Scotland isn't on a par with the Premier League down south but what he has achieved domestically and in Europe will boost his self belief imo and stand him in good stead for when he does decide to depart. I hope it isn't for a good while yet mind you.

I dont think it's useful to compare Gerrard to Souness. Management is so different nowadays and the relative strengths of the squads in Scotland are not the same either. 

When Souness was at Rangers you could just rock up, slip on a blue suit and some brogues, sign some top players, give them a staunch talking-to, and then send them out to blow away the opposition. 

Gerrard has demonstrably improved players, motivated them, and got them to buy into a clear tactical system and style of play. 

Obviously things can always go wrong, for any manager at any club, but he is definitely not a Souness type. He's very much a modern manager from what it seems - or at least he knows how to pick his assistants, which is just as good. 

Archived