• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Learning a new language

football forum

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 07/03/2017 at 9:49 PM, Tsubasa said:

I've been learning Spanish on Duolingo every now and then. Once you have a bit of a grasp of the language, I'd definitely recommend watching movies in the language you're learning with subtitles in your language. 

You should avoid subtitles in your own language if you ask me and not use them at all as it doesn't push your listening to its limits in my opinion. If you must have subtitles, then it would be better to have them in the language you're learning, i.e watching a Spanish film with Spanish subtitles.

The only way to learn a language properly is to be in amongst them listening to them consistently. It drills into your brain and because the brain is a miraculous and marvellous piece of equipment, then you'll all of a sudden without knowing when or how undeestand phrases. The difficulty then lies in twisting your tongue to make the speach habitual.

Children find this easy and it's been proven they can learn upto 7 completely different languages fluently. The older you become, the more you have to immerse yourself in the world you want to capture.  

Agreed Sir Balon. I am a little embarrassed by my spoken Japanese level after 3 years. There are two things I use as excuses 1) I didn't study the first 10 months as I was thinking I'd leave and 2) I am in a unique work environment where everyone speaks English. I have realised (a little late) that they are not excuses. I am now committed to learning Japanese and using it for the remainder of my life. I've invested time and money into this and want to come out somewhere near fluent in the next 3-4 years. 

I also want to continue my German. I did 1 year at high school but forgot most of it. Would love to be able to converse on here with some of our German members in the future.

• Subscriber
On 3/14/2017 at 4:58 AM, ATL said:

Does anyone know any Arabic? I've been thinking about it - however it would be quite a tall task and I'd have NO IDEA on where to start. 

I do and the right-side joke never gets old haha. The best place to start (don't laugh) are kindergarten books because its not just the pronunciation but also getting to understand how they form sentences. The other problem with the language is how the sounds change dramatically across the Middle Eastern zone into Africa. Its quite noticeable once you hear a few and its easy to pickup (I think so at least). Trying my hand at Japanese in May, I wanted to sign up in April but they had no free slots. 

This guy does a good job and its Egyptian Arabic which isn't what I learned but even with small variations you'll get it.

4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I do and the right-side joke never gets old haha. The best place to start (don't laugh) are kindergarten books because its not just the pronunciation but also getting to understand how they form sentences. The other problem with the language is how the sounds change dramatically across the Middle Eastern zone into Africa. Its quite noticeable once you hear a few and its easy to pickup (I think so at least). Trying my hand at Japanese in May, I wanted to sign up in April but they had no free slots. 

Feel free to practice with me, maybe we can start a thread. I need to improve all aspects.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Anton said:

Feel free to practice with me, maybe we can start a thread. I need to improve all aspects.

Will do, bought a book last year and have been reading it while I am travelling but I think a classroom suits me better. Lets me talk to people and have people correct me when I get things wrong.

38 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Will do, bought a book last year and have been reading it while I am travelling but I think a classroom suits me better. Lets me talk to people and have people correct me when I get things wrong.

頑張ってね

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Oh I will try for sure haha. Do you type that out knowing what the script is and how hard is it doing that?

I use the 'Romaji' keyboard, it takes me too long to locate all the hiragana, then kanji going the Japanese way. So I type the sounds 'ga n ba tte' which automatically convert into hiragana and then because I know the kanji I select it from a list... make sense? probably not haha

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Anton said:

I use the 'Romaji' keyboard, it takes me too long to locate all the hiragana, then kanji going the Japanese way. So I type the sounds 'ga n ba tte' which automatically convert into hiragana and then because I know the kanji I select it from a list... make sense? probably not haha

Still stuck trying to figure out the Romaji portion of that sentence haha

Like that? https://www.romajidesu.com/romaji_kana/ga n ba tte

Just now, Mel81x said:

Still stuck trying to figure out the Romaji portion of that sentence haha

Haha, romaji is the romanised version of Japanese. So for the hiragana (standard Japanese writing character) が the romanised sound is ga. I type ga and it then converts to が。

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Anton said:

Haha, romaji is the romanised version of Japanese. So for the hiragana (standard Japanese writing character) が the romanised sound is ga. I type ga and it then converts to が。

So it uses the sound of the word with its Roman letter equivalents to generate the characters in Hiragana and then the user has to know enough to put them together is what I guess

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

So it uses the sound of the word with its Roman letter equivalents to generate the characters in Hiragana and then the user has to know enough to put them together is what I guess

Pretty much. Then there is katakana for 'loan words'. Also, Kanji can fuck off.

• Subscriber
Just now, Anton said:

Pretty much. Then there is katakana for 'loan words'. Also, Kanji can fuck off.

Think its time for another thread haha. Wish I was starting classes next month. This is starting to sound like one of those hard architecture type solutions I have to work on and my basics will definitely need to be strong before I can even start using something like the Romaji system.

はじめまして!

I learnt Japanese for 6 months 5 years ago but gave up as I couldn't find anyone to practice with. The reason I learn is to understand Ayumi but apparently I just don't love her enough to pursue further :D

Being a Chinese it makes learning the Kanji much easier for me, also the pronunciation. I could also read Hiragana easily but Katakana is a pain in the ass. 

I am trying to pick up Hindi now. The fastest way to learn how to speak a phrase or two is always by watching their movie and listening to their music with subtitles. 

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

This guy does a good job and its Egyptian Arabic which isn't what I learned but even with small variations you'll get it.

Awesome! Thanks man. And yeah, when I have learned previous languages, I always start with Children books. Quality stuff. Problem is finding children books in Arabic may be difficult.

Since someone in here mentioned HelloTalk a week or so ago I've been on it constantly. Some of you are saying you find learning hard because you have no native speakers to talk to, well HelloTalk is the perfect place for that. You can't learn a language from scratch on there, but if you already have a decent level it'll help you improve a lot.

I'm a lot more confident with my french than I was this time last week.

It's kinda like facebook, you just post whatever you want, and if you make any mistakes someone will correct you. Everyone is so helpful and kind. You can also chat one on one with someone which is helpful for learning to understand and reply at a decent pace.

3 hours ago, noelcwt said:

はじめまして!

I learnt Japanese for 6 months 5 years ago but gave up as I couldn't find anyone to practice with. The reason I learn is to understand Ayumi but apparently I just don't love her enough to pursue further :D

Being a Chinese it makes learning the Kanji much easier for me, also the pronunciation. I could also read Hiragana easily but Katakana is a pain in the ass. 

I am trying to pick up Hindi now. The fastest way to learn how to speak a phrase or two is always by watching their movie and listening to their music with subtitles. 

Wait, weren't you from Malaysia mate?

2 hours ago, noelcwt said:

Yup, I am a Malaysian Chinese, not Mainland Chinese :D Been working in India for the last 2 years.

So you're not one of the Malaysians that are anti China? What do you think about that movement mate?

48 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

So you're not one of the Malaysians that are anti China? What do you think about that movement mate?

Generally Chinese not from Mainland China are not very fond of China, ask any Hong Kong'ers, Singaporean, Thai Chinese etc. We may trace our root back to China but we don't see ourselves as part of "China Chinese" and have anything to do with them.

The tourists from Mainland China also cause a lot of problems for the locals everywhere, so nobody really like them except those educated ones. 

I don't hate China, but I am not fond of them either. Not sure if you heard of it before, the Malays (Muslim) extremist in Malaysia love to call us to go back to China. Ironically, China are investing heavily in Malaysia, buying our power plants and investing in the new rail line projects. They are also investing heavily in India, seems like they intend to take over the world! :D

Archived