football forum

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, Beelzebub said:

I'm applying for a Chinese (Mandarin) HSK-1 course. It's paid but it will be free if I get selected as a 'student'. I have some free time so it would be an interesting activity.

Nice! It's been on my list for eternity. Signed up for online classes during the first lockdown, but then my workload increased massively, so I sadly had to put it on hold. 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Nice! It's been on my list for eternity. Signed up for online classes during the first lockdown, but then my workload increased massively, so I sadly had to put it on hold. 

They have limited seats so hopefully I get selected otherwise the fee for entire program is not something to just spend for a few classes and leave it in the middle.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Beelzebub said:

They have limited seats so hopefully I get selected otherwise the fee for entire program is not something to just spend for a few classes and leave it in the middle.

What are the selection criteria?

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Beelzebub said:

Mainly academic performance, due to increasing Chinese infrastructure plans unis offer Chinese language courses for students.

Good luck! I think learning Mandarin is a very clever thing to do for the future. Many work and business opportunities.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/10/2022 at 08:56, Beelzebub said:

I'm applying for a Chinese (Mandarin) HSK-1 course. It's paid but it will be free if I get selected as a 'student'. I have some free time so it would be an interesting activity.

I was called in for interview today after shortlisting. They asked why I wanted to learn and checked my China knowledge. I think I impressed with the latter (thanks to YouTube). 

4 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

I was called in for interview today after shortlisting. They asked why I wanted to learn and checked my China knowledge. I think I impressed with the latter (thanks to YouTube). 

Should have greeted them with Konichiwa. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/10/2022 at 11:33, Beelzebub said:

I'm in for the Chinese course. Starts from next week

First week was good. The teacher (Jessica) communicates well. Covered the pinyin system, initials and finals and tones. The tones seem a bit daunting right now.

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

First week was good. The teacher (Jessica) communicates well. Covered the pinyin system, initials and finals and tones. The tones seem a bit daunting right now.

The tones are really difficult for me, too. I have put the learning on hold, but a while ago when I was still doing it, I could identify the tone correctly and pronounce it right most of the time, but only for words/syllables in isolation - once there's a whole sentence, for me one tone just blends into another, and I struggle to distinguish it afterwards. Mimicking native speakers helps somewhat, but I feel it's going to be years of regular dedicated practice to reach any level of fluency.

Archived