talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Learning a new language

football forum

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Danny said:

When I watched the GGG v Canelo fight an Englishman in the pub started swearing at the TV because Canelo was doing his interview in Spainish and not English.

The most hilarious outburst I witnessed was an Englishman getting mad when the waitress didn't understand his order. For fish and chips. In a local eatery. In Cambodia...

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, nudge said:

The most hilarious outburst I witnessed was an Englishman getting mad when the waitress didn't understand his order. For fish and chips. In a local eatery. In Cambodia...

It's mental, proper Rule Britannia, we used to rule the world mentality.

Good one recently that even though was blown out of proportion a bit, an old lady was annoyed so many Spanish people were on her all inclusive holiday in....Spain xD

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Danny said:

It's mental, proper Rule Britannia, we used to rule the world mentality.

Good one recently that even though was blown out of proportion a bit, an old lady was annoyed so many Spanish people were on her all inclusive holiday in....Spain xD

Yes I read that one too xD I think she even asked Thomas Cook (I think that was the travel agency she used?) for compensation xD 

15 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yes I read that one too xD I think she even asked Thomas Cook (I think that was the travel agency she used?) for compensation xD 

Well there were other issues on the holiday that I think led to that, but yeah, crazy stuff.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Subscriber

Finally enrolled in a formal Chinese (Mandarin) course for the summer. Starting mid-June... evening course, small group, 4 hours a week, a native Chinese teacher.

Looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Finally enrolled in a formal Chinese (Mandarin) course for the summer. Starting mid-June... evening course, small group, 4 hours a week, a native Chinese teacher.

Looking forward to it.

Good luck! It sounds so tough to master. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Toinho said:

Good luck! It sounds so tough to master. 

Yeah my main goal for now is to learn to pronounce the tones correctly - fluency is surely at least a few years away haha. But once I get taught the basics properly I can build on that later myself. 

6 hours ago, nudge said:

Looking forward to it.

That sounds nice but shouldn't you concentrate on learning Khmer first? :ph34r:

45 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Does anyone wants to learn or know about the Perso-Arabic script ? I'll glady help as much as i can

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQil0Jzx3rkdt0t-y8ALEB

I have a list of languages I can read, another I can speak, and then a giant list of languages I want to learn. Arabic is on that list 

16 minutes ago, Eco said:

I have a list of languages I can read, another I can speak, and then a giant list of languages I want to learn. Arabic is on that list 

Arabic alphabets are the second most widely used after Latin though there are many variations in other languages that burrowed the script but learning them makes you to read a lot more languages 

When it comes to Arabic language than there are so many dialects 

First there is the ' Fusha Arabic ' the old Arabic the one in religious scriptures, then the Levant dialect which itself has many versions Palestinian, Lebanese, Syrian etc 

Gulf Arabic is distinct in its own way but its more uniform than Levant for say

Egypt has a whole dialect of its own 

Then in further West Tunisia, Algeria, Libya form the North African belt of Arabic

Moroccan Arabic is a mixture of French, Berber and Arabic even Arabs have difficulty understanding it, its like a whole new language 

3 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Arabic alphabets are the second most widely used after Latin though there are many variations in other languages that burrowed the script but learning them makes you to read a lot more languages 

First there is the ' Fusha Arabic ' the old Arabic the one in religious scriptures, then the Levant dialect which itself has many versions Palestinian, Lebanese, Syrian etc 

Then in further West Tunisia, Algeria, Libya form the North African belt of Arabic

Moroccan Arabic is a mixture of French, Berber and Arabic even Arabs have difficulty understanding it, its like a whole new language 

Yes - and that's the biggest downfall with learning Arabic...Most places here only teach MSA, but from my understanding, if you were to go to Qatar, UAE, KSA, and speak MSA, then you wouldn't be understood. 

Right now I'm working on my German, and then either tackle Hindi or Arabic, two languages I've been dying to learn. 

18 minutes ago, Azeem said:

The Algerian dialect is a mix of French and Arabic and it's really confusing to listen to because I understand the French parts then the Arabic comes xD

I know a few words in Arabic (I don't know if it's normal Arabic or Algerian). These are the most useful ones... xD

Fox = thaaleb (or tha3leb as they write it in Algerian)

Onion = bassal

I'll have no problems going to an Arabic country B|

41 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

The Algerian dialect is a mix of French and Arabic and it's really confusing to listen to because I understand the French parts then the Arabic comes xD

I know a few words in Arabic (I don't know if it's normal Arabic or Algerian). These are the most useful ones... xD

Fox = thaaleb (or tha3leb as they write it in Algerian)

Onion = bassal

I'll have no problems going to an Arabic country B|

These numbers are used to represent alphabets that don't have any equivalent in English. That number 3 is for the aplhated ع (you can see it resembles the no 3) which gives an ' Aye ' sound from the throat like Aye Aye Captain

my username Azeem it will be written as 3zeem

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Eco said:

I'm still under the belief that Arabic and Hindi are the two most beautifully written languages. 

Also include Burmese in that list. 

Reminds me of this:

47.png

xD 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Reminds me of this:

47.png

xD 

That's brilliant. 

I love the look of Hindi though, and Burmese is just pleasant to look at. I guess according to this, I must be a fan of butts. xD

6 hours ago, Azeem said:

Does anyone wants to learn or know about the Perso-Arabic script ? I'll glady help as much as i can

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQil0Jzx3rkdt0t-y8ALEB

I can speak and understand Farsi... but I can't read a single word of it

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know any language learning websites besides Duolingo? That application is great and all but it doesn't have the language I'm looking for :( 

Archived