• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Learning a new language

football forum

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

@Machado - Any idea on how similar Portuguese is to Spanish? I was reading online that they are tough to master both due to the amount of words that sound the exact same, but have totally different meanings. 

4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I've struggled with Portuguese. Absolute bonkers half of it.

Oh...yeah forgot you might need to learn that. 

What are you using, outside of @Stan's mistress? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 21:33, nudge said:

Quite the contrary to me, as I expect Chinese to be one of the most desirable and sought-after languages in business/career in the next 5-10 years, as their sphere of influence continues to grow. Hence why I started learning it in the first place hehe.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wealthy-families-teaching-kids-to-speak-mandarin-2017-11

Billionaires and royals are rushing to teach their kids Mandarin

On 24/05/2018 at 00:58, Eco said:

@Machado - Any idea on how similar Portuguese is to Spanish? I was reading online that they are tough to master both due to the amount of words that sound the exact same, but have totally different meanings. 

My auntie is fluent in Portuguese and helped my brother pass his GCSE (15-16 year old exams) in Spanish, if that helps 😂

On 23/5/2018 at 09:58, Eco said:

Portuguese is the most similar language to Spanish, if you speak Spanish/Portuguese fluently then you would have no problem getting by with the other language. As a native Spanish speaker English was the easiest language for me to learn (perhaps because i was taught since being a child), Portuguese being the second. I don't know if this is the case with Portuguese people too, but i think Brazilians speak too fast, if i ask them to slow their pace then i can understand them fine.

8 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Portuguese is the most similar language to Spanish, if you speak Spanish/Portuguese fluently then you would have no problem getting by with the other language. As a native Spanish speaker English was the easiest language for me to learn (perhaps because i was taught since being a child), Portuguese being the second. I don't know if this is the case with Portuguese people too, but i think Brazilians speak too fast, if i ask them to slow their pace then i can understand them fine.

Spanish/Portuguese/Italian are all very similar and learning one or being native to one makes it extremely easy to learn the other two. 

Just now, SirBalon said:

Spanish/Portuguese/Italian are all very similar and learning one or being native to one makes it extremely easy to learn the other two. 

Yeah, benefits of being Latins. Altough Italian is more difficult, in a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the hardest i'd say Portuguese is 3/10 and Italian 5/10.

Just now, Berserker said:

Yeah, benefits of being Latins. Altough Italian is more difficult, in a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the hardest i'd say Portuguese is 3/10 and Italian 5/10.

Portuguese is easier from a Spanish speaking standpoint but once you learn a few fundamentals of Italian, then it flows perfectly.

French of the Latin Languages for me always has been the most difficult to capture. I had it at school and it really knackered me out with so many rules and vocalisations. But again... A lot easier than a someone of the latin languages learning French than English/German etc...

Just now, SirBalon said:

Portuguese is easier from a Spanish speaking standpoint but once you learn a few fundamentals of Italian, then it flows perfectly.

French of the Latin Languages for me always has been the most difficult to capture. I had it at school and it really knackered me out with so many rules and vocalisations. But again... A lot easier than a someone of the latin languages learning French than English/German etc...

I learned a bit of Italian just from reading newspapers, and also some words are used in our Rioplatense Spanish. But some conjugations can be difficult. Yeah, French is the most difficult, although not if you count Romanian haha. Personally i find French to be more difficult than English who for me was actually the easiest of all.

Haven't studied Japanese for 7-8 months now. Really should do some more to build my vocabulary and learn some new sentence structures. 

Eventually want to get around to learning Spanish and German to a basic level. 

On 6/19/2018 at 04:31, Cannabis said:

They're practically the same. My Mrs speaks only Portuguese but can get by and hold a solid conversation with Spanish and Brazilians. 

Like you said, the odd word means something different and they have different slang terms but if you master one you can get by with the rest. 

You and J speak Portuguese to each other then? 

I have always had this desire to learn so many languages, which seem evident with my minor in Latin from the university, my extensive learning in Russian and French, and my haphazard studying sprees of Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese, German, Romanian, Chinese, and even Esperanto. 

Luckily, with my scatter brains, work is basically paying for me to learn Spanish since I oversea Puerto Rico and a large part of Central America. The other massive benefit to this is the simple fact that it is incredible easy to find native Spanish speakers that would love to talk and help me learn their mother tongue. 

My work paid for Fluenz Spanish for me, and so I'm working on that for an hour a day, duolingo daily, and trying to listen to Spanish radio and converse with native speakers. 

As a man who loves a good list, I have moved Spanish to the top of the list of most desired languages I want to master, with Russian and Romanian closely behind. 

1 minute ago, True Blue said:

Have any of your tried the basic app Duolingo to try and get into any new language? I tried with German, can German confirm is it any good for newbies to the language?

I am a huge advocate of Duolingo. First off, it's free. Secondly, it somewhat entertaining. 

I don't speak German, but I would also look at LanguagePods, which is another free resource that would help you with your listening skills and typically does a great job on building on one another. 

HelloTalk is an app that would allow you to talk with Germans for free

iTalki is great for paid tutors, they work for you and you have plenty of tutors to find the one you like. 

Just now, Eco said:

I am a huge advocate of Duolingo. First off, it's free. Secondly, it somewhat entertaining. 

I don't speak German, but I would also look at LanguagePods, which is another free resource that would help you with your listening skills and typically does a great job on building on one another. 

HelloTalk is an app that would allow you to talk with Germans for free

iTalki is great for paid tutors, they work for you and you have plenty of tutors to find the one you like. 

Thanks i've seen that the reviews for Duolingo are generally positive and that the system is pretty reliable for some that is new to a certain language. Also it doesn't take a lot of time and from what i could find it is a enjoyable experience. I was just wondering is it any good for some mid or advanced using.

17 hours ago, True Blue said:

Thanks i've seen that the reviews for Duolingo are generally positive and that the system is pretty reliable for some that is new to a certain language. Also it doesn't take a lot of time and from what i could find it is a enjoyable experience. I was just wondering is it any good for some mid or advanced using.

It's great, I'd absolutely recommend it. I think it's not so good for grammar, but honestly when you get that far that you want to understand the rules more deeply, you can easily google for other resources. 

Duolingo's the best way to start a language imo. 

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Who cares about grammar so early while learning a new language ?

Some people’s learning styles, normally those with more experience studying languages, prefer to just learn the rules early, rather than the more naturalistic way in systems such as Duolingo.

The point of Duolingo is that you absorb the rules slowly and have them explained afterward. However, if someone is good at learning complex grammar rules quickly then they’d probably get frustrated with that method and proceed more efficiently with another route.

Archived