talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 2-1 West Ham - Saturday 31st October, 2020

football forum

• Administrator
6 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Nice 3 points but the game as a spectacle has died. I dont even celebrate goals anymore.

My Mrs has even noticed and she hates football. She said earlier "are you going off football? You usually jump around and scare the shit out of everyone when Liverpool score?"

I said "no luv, I'll always love football but now we have to wait until VAR can't find a way to rule a goal out"

"Whats the point then" she said.

She was exactly right! What is the actual point of the game when all the fun has been sucked out of it? 

Honestly, I said when it was introduced that VAR would be the death of football... and here we are. 

Pffft Next in the league is City and im not even arsed what the score is. 

We get it mate xD

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn’t celebrate the ruled out goal because I thought Jota was offside, but I absolutely celebrated his actual goal.

I think not celebrating a goal is weird. Yes, there’s a chance it may be ruled out, but deal with that after the fact. Fuck If I’m letting VAR ruin my experience. Yeah it’s a load of bollocks and needs fixed, but you shouldn’t  be letting it drown your passion. 

2 hours ago, Rick said:

I didn’t celebrate the ruled out goal because I thought Jota was offside, but I absolutely celebrated his actual goal.

I think not celebrating a goal is weird. Yes, there’s a chance it may be ruled out, but deal with that after the fact. Fuck If I’m letting VAR ruin my experience. Yeah it’s a load of bollocks and needs fixed, but you shouldn’t  be letting it drown your passion. 

Don't get me wrong I normally do. We've had a few go against us recently though and there was Mane coming back from an offside position. Even though he's obviously not interfering with a defender or the goalkeeper I was just expecting them to find something wrong with the goal

I was convinced they were going to disallow it for Mane being offside, but celebrated anyway. Couldn't stop myself if I wanted to. Same with Fabinho's goal against City last season; I was pretty sure they'd bring it back for the handball stuff at the other end, but still went nuts because we'd scored a massive goal. Worry about VAR afterwards

You've got to live a little. Let yourself enjoy things. There's enough darkness in the world as it is

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It’d get given if it was Vardy or Kane though and nobody would have batted an eyelid.

Well that's a lie. Both have got a reputation for exaggerating contact and its not gone unnoticed? 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Well that's a lie. Both have got a reputation for exaggerating contact and its not gone unnoticed? 

Vardy and Kane are right up there with Salah in terms of diving and you see it all the time... Kane & Vardy = clever, foreign player = diver.

That’s not so much true on here, on us calling English divers “clever”, but it is 100% true that some players get talked about for diving way more frequently than English players who literally go down easy just as regularly.

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Vardy and Kane are right up there with Salah in terms of diving and you see it all the time... Kane & Vardy = clever, foreign player = diver.

That’s not so much true on here, on us calling English divers “clever”, but it is 100% true that some players get talked about for diving way more frequently than English players who literally go down easy just as regularly.

It may vindicate you but Vardy and Kane may be bad but nowhere near as bad as Salah though :what:. I'm not even sure that's an English thing - think it's just how I see it. I'm not sorry for it either! 

Sterling is on Salah levels in my humble opinion... 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

It may vindicate you but Vardy and Kane may be bad but nowhere near as bad as Salah though :what:. I'm not even sure that's an English thing - think it's just how I see it. I'm not sorry for it either! 

Sterling is on Salah levels in my humble opinion... 

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree. Tbh Vardy is a worse offender than Kane, but he’s sort of Teflon in the amount of flak he manages to avoid weirdly.

I think Sterling, Salah, Vardy, Kane, and many others are serial divers. It’s always annoying to watch but... I think with how bad referees are (and now you’ve got potentially 2 levels of human error to get through), it’s understandable why players dive in these matches in the billion pound industry that is our league.

Personally I think Grealish is the biggest diver in the league. But he’s at Villa and is English so nobody really gives a shit.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree. Tbh Vardy is a worse offender than Kane, but he’s sort of Teflon in the amount of flak he manages to avoid weirdly.

I think Sterling, Salah, Vardy, Kane, and many others are serial divers. It’s always annoying to watch but... I think with how bad referees are (and now you’ve got potentially 2 levels of human error to get through), it’s understandable why players dive in these matches in the billion pound industry that is our league.

Personally I think Grealish is the biggest diver in the league. But he’s at Villa and is English so nobody really gives a shit.

Agree about Grealish. But again, I think Grealish gets a very bad rep for it, rightly so though. I don't get why you think nobody gives a shit about these players and using the English thing about it. They get justified criticism from so many fans for going down so easily. 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Agree about Grealish. But again, I think Grealish gets a very bad rep for it, rightly so though. I don't get why you think nobody gives a shit about these players and using the English thing about it. They get justified criticism from so many fans for going down so easily. 

The only place I’ve seen him get criticism for diving is on here tbh. 

• The topic was unpinned

Here's why Jordan Henderson was in Garth Crooks' team of the week:

I didn't think it was a Liverpool penalty at the time and I still don't. I have criticised Mohamed Salah in the past for going down in the box when not touched. I've no doubt contact was made by West Ham's Arthur Masuaku but as far as contact sports go, that was no foul. However it's the referee's opinion that counts and Kevin Friend thought otherwise.

Callum Wilson winning his penalty was then describe as 'astute'. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54783480

embarrassing that a major news outlet has allowed this article to be published

• Administrator

Crooks is always a bit out of the box. And just downright weird with his choices.

Can't remember the last time he had a decent XI with players in the right places, and then a comment at the same time that applies correctly. 

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I didn't think it was a Liverpool penalty at the time and I still don't. I have criticised Mohamed Salah in the past for going down in the box when not touched. I've no doubt contact was made by West Ham's Arthur Masuaku but as far as contact sports go, that was no foul. However it's the referee's opinion that counts and Kevin Friend thought otherwise.

Callum Wilson bragged after the game that he knew he couldn't get the ball or score from that corner but that if he got his body in the right place he could make sure Gomes made contact with him and it might get him a penalty. It's absolutely bizarre the double standards, not even delivered tongue in cheek or with a hint of irony, and it's all based on narrative. Richarlison does that against a flavour of the month defender, he's public enemy number one for weeks. Contradicting himself like that within one piece of writing is next level stuff though and I think I'm missing something on what any of it has to do with Henderson?

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Callum Wilson bragged after the game that he knew he couldn't get the ball or score from that corner but that if he got his body in the right place he could make sure Gomes made contact with him and it might get him a penalty. It's absolutely bizarre the double standards, not even delivered tongue in cheek or with a hint of irony, and it's all based on narrative. Richarlison does that against a flavour of the month defender, he's public enemy number one for weeks. Contradicting himself like that within one piece of writing is next level stuff though and I think I'm missing something on what any of it has to do with Henderson?

Again, another 'Crooksism'. Selects a player. Doesn't talk about why that player makes the team. 

He did write more about Henderson:

Jordan Henderson played a captain's part in pulling Liverpool through a difficult fixture against the Hammers on Saturday. It was Henderson's controlled pass to Xherdan Shaqiri which resulted in Diogo Jota scoring Liverpool's winner.

I wonder if Henderson might have a gentle word with Salah to remind him that he has placed himself among the Liverpool greats - and not to spoil it with cheap nonsense like diving.

But this is all he said about his take on Gabriel's inclusion...

Gabriel: Sunday's win at Manchester United was one of the best Arsenal performances I've seen for some time. I criticised Mikel Arteta the last time he was in Manchester for playing a team without a recognised centre-forward. Not so at Old Trafford. The Arsenal manager laid his stall out perfectly and restricted United to a handful of chances. Gabriel was at the heart of an outstanding defensive display by the Gunners.

Meanwhile, United have a serious consistency problem. Mason Greenwood was substituted and walked off the pitch looking as though Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had committed a crime. Paul Pogba has so much more to give but can't seem to find it to give. And Marcus Rashford, one of my favourite players, performed as if he had been given the afternoon off. Sorry Marcus, there are no days off when you play for Manchester United.

That bold bit literally the only note of why Gabriel is selected. If I didn't watch the match, I want to know what was the outstanding bit, what warranted the inclusion, why was he so good etc...

4 hours ago, LFCMike said:

ivhndeurcsw51.jpg

dujaqav3wsw51.jpg

Tony Cascarino talking about insulting the game Nobby Stiles loves is a bit funny, considering he faked being Irish so he could play international football because he'd never get a game for England.

But yeah, what a ridiculous media agenda for what was... a fucking penalty (and even the West Ham player who conceded it said as much).

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But yeah, what a ridiculous media agenda for what was... a fucking penalty (and even the West Ham player who conceded it said as much).

Its also very easy to say I support a club then talk about an England International and say he wouldn't do that. Why? It gets people to click and read. As if 90% of the media/guest reporters give two shits about the clubs they support to make a noise when things are really bad not when its convenient for them to be heard. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

ivhndeurcsw51.jpg

dujaqav3wsw51.jpg

Tony Cascarino talking about insulting the game Nobby Stiles loves is a bit funny, considering he faked being Irish so he could play international football because he'd never get a game for England.

I'm not going to say Salah never dives or goes down easily, because he does sometimes, but I'm convinced he only has the reputation for it that he does because there's all this fucking pearl clutching whenever he goes to ground, voluntarily or not.

I mean good god. "Insult to Nobby Stiles" is absolutely mental. It's Onion tier.

22 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I'm not going to say Salah never dives or goes down easily, because he does sometimes,

It seems to be part of the game these days... so many players are doing it so no point in digging out just one or two, I even saw it in the Leeds v Leicester game yesterday where the player was anticipating the contact so went over but no contact was made at all... I always find it a shame that players with all this talent prefer to take a tumble for even the slightest breeze against their faces and it's embarrassing. It's like we have gone too far the other way, by all means stop dangerous tackles or serious fouls from taking place but all this falling over under the slightest touch with as much drama as possible is awful to watch.. worse when they go on to score from it then celebrate it like it was some genius bit of skill that got them the goal.. 

Archived