• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nobby Stiles Dies

football forum

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

R.I.P. Nobby, you with your toothless grin jigging around Wembley when England won the World Cup in 1966 with the cup in one hand and your false teeth in the other, then again in 1968 jigging around OT with the European Cup but I don't know about your teeth then, our thoughts go out to all the loved ones you left behind.

This is very sad news which I also read online a few minutes ago. I remember my grandfather used to talk to me about him and explain how he was a great player. He was a real character of the England team of the 60's and another member of our 1966 World Cup winning team sadly passes away. I've watched clips of him and the England team of the 60's and Nobby was clearly one of the greats of his era. 

R.I.P. Nobby Stiles

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

RIP. Remember my Dad talking about him alongside Hunter, Harris, Smith and Bremner as one of the real hard men.

Far from toothless, Nobby was a dancing destroyer in 1966

| The Manchester United midfielder won 28 caps for his country.

PMX5CLVSPRGQTK35BEPSNLL6PI.jpg

Nobby Stiles was, in his own words, the fella with no teeth who danced around Wembley.

The sight of the diminutive midfield terrier doing a jig on the famous turf, Jules Rimet trophy in one hand and false teeth in the other, is one of English football’s most cherished memories.

Stiles, who has died aged 78, played every minute of England’s victorious 1966 World Cup campaign, doing the dirty work so the likes of Sir Geoff Hurst and Sir Bobby Charlton could steal the show.

In the semi-final win over Portugal, Stiles marked the great Eusebio out of the game and he was also a key figure in the final against West Germany, his energy a galvanising force as the contest headed into extra-time.

2.1164886.jpg?w=640

A naturally shy man, Stiles was transformed on a football pitch and was loved by his team-mates, both with England and Manchester United.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/uk-sports/2020/10/30/nobby-stiles-the-dancing-destroyer-who-became-englands-forgotten-hero/

• Administrator

RIP :(

My dad was quite young when the World Cup was around but he still remembers it and Stiles is one of the players he would mention regularly of that 60s/70s era when he would get in to football and start watching it more. 

A legend for England. RIP Nobby.

VerVery sad to hear, I remember watching him when I was kid. 

A  couple of stories stand out involving his England career.  Nobby had been giving a yellow card for a tackle that today would have seen him banned for a few games for violent conduct and the FA wanted Ramsey to replace him for the next game but Ramesy told them that Nobby's playing and  that he picked the squad and would resign if the FA tried to pick the team.  My favourite though was the 66 World Cup game against Portugal.  Ramsey told Nobby to makes sure Eusebio didn't play football and Nobby said you mean permanently?

I always felt that United didn't do enough for Stiles in his declining years, he played his heart out fir the club and was abandoned in his hour of need.  Hopefully the club will turn out for his funeral and perhaps do something for his family and make a sizeable donation to alzheimers research in Nobby's name.

Archived