• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Famous People You've Met

football forum

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NRL/Rugby players
Nathan Blacklock, Brett Stewart, Wendell Sailor ,Mark Gasnier, Piggy Riddell. All at various signings or in high school. Played poker with Josh Kerr. Nice dude. 

Wrestlers. 
Matt and Nick Jackson. Unlike the other wrestlers touring with NJPW at the time they were slinging their own merch. They look even shitter in real life. 

People I grew up with who became 'Famous'

Jack Bird (NRL player). I layed one on him in year 8 too, the cunt.

Corey Gameiro (A league) Was my science partner all year in year 9, due to alphabetical order (Daniel and Corey) Was a decent dude, charismatic. 

The entire Wellington Phoenix squad is currently training at my university, and did a sesh while I was taking an athlete through some strength and conditioning work. Didn't have a proper chat with any of them mind. 

Only those who follow Australian football would possibly know any of these plaeyrs but in terms of sharing the same field as someone who was or became famous. I have played against Scott Neville (A-League), Mitch Nicolls (Socceroos/A-League),  and Chris Herd (Former Socceroo and Aston Villa player) as a teenager. 

I have trained with Michael Petkovic (Former Socceroo goalkeeper) and played against Perth Glory including Jacob Burns,(Former Socceroo/Leeds player), who fouled me. Haha. 

• Subscriber

Steve Davis

Played him at snooker, I broke off then didn’t get another shot. He also mocked me whilst I picked the balls out, infront of a decent size crowd. I did get a photo signed and my cue signed too.

Alex Higgins

Another exhibition but this is more for afterwards. I Played poker with him and a few others at a snooker club, after the club had “closed”. He was very thin and not in a good way but not lost that classic sense of humour and personality he had. He randomly pulled out a ready made joint(marijuana)  at the table and just sparked it up.. and I saw the owners eyes he didn’t say a word haha!

Plenty of Blackburn players when I was with my ex ex ex ex girlfriend as a teenager who lived near the training ground. Had quite a few good chats with some abs got signatures. Benni McCarthy, Tugay, Emerton ( @Toinho ;) ) and many more. The Tugay rumours were true... he used to smoke before and after training xD  Away from training more players... David Dunn several times. Matt Derbyshire I remember chatting to him at the soccer dome in Blackburn(indoor Astro turf football 5 a side pitches) just as it was announced on the TV that Mark Hughes was leaving us and going to Man City. I was sat on a table next to him and his friends. Was a strange moment. He was as shocked as me. 

Pauli Malignaggi

in Sheffield after the Kel Brook - Errol Spence fight. Nothing special was just a drunk chat. 

Can’t think of many more off the top of my head.

• 3 months later...

All boxing themed as I'm a big boxing fan.

Ricky Hatton - At a bar in Lanzarote, he was with a bunch of his fighters who he trained who were giving off plenty of attitude but he was sound enough. Met him before that actually at one of his boxing shows when we went to watch Anthony Crolla at the Reebok arena (changed name now)

Carl Frampton - He's trained by Jamie Moore in Manchester and I was in the sauna in the David Lloyd and who comes in and sits right next to me. Carl, really nice guy actually and he even was happy to have his photo with me in the cafe area after. 

Mike Tyson - He had a fight in Manchester in the early 2000's against a boxer called Julius Francis. Anyhow me and my mate were determined to meet Mike so we spent a whole day stood outside the Midland hotel hoping to get an autograph. We spotted Frank Warren coming out of a side door so used our heads and hung around that area and left the back exit to the press etc... anyway Joe Calzaghi came out we met him and about 15 minutes later a guy came out who they called Crocodile and stopped and shook mine and my mates hands and he told us Mike was waiting for a car to pull up and to stand back. Anyway a blacked out car pulls up and security get out move us aside and Mike appears from the building, he hears us shout his name hangs a hand out high for us to kinda grab high five him. Didn't get his autograph but it's lived with me ever since so it was worth the few hours spent waiting to see one of my boxing hero's.

Keeping this kinda footy related we have had quite a few celebs at the Liverpool Supporters Club Toronto Branch.

Ian McCulloch and Will Sergeant from Echo &the Bunnymen.

Mike Myers

Clive Owen

Pete Postlethwaite

Malcolm McDonald

Hugh Laurie

John Lithgow

Also went to see Liverpool play at Fenway Park a couple of years ago and had a great time bevvying with Daniel Craig, amazed that he knew all the words of even our old songs from the 70's.

Michael Owen at Haydock races, we were invited to a private box for a meal and drink, unfortunate for Michael he was in the next box to us so it only seemed right a load of pissed up Mancs would give him plenty of attention. 

4 hours ago, Devil said:

All boxing themed as I'm a big boxing fan.

Ricky Hatton - At a bar in Lanzarote, he was with a bunch of his fighters who he trained who were giving off plenty of attitude but he was sound enough. Met him before that actually at one of his boxing shows when we went to watch Anthony Crolla at the Reebok arena (changed name now)

Carl Frampton - He's trained by Jamie Moore in Manchester and I was in the sauna in the David Lloyd and who comes in and sits right next to me. Carl, really nice guy actually and he even was happy to have his photo with me in the cafe area after. 

Mike Tyson - He had a fight in Manchester in the early 2000's against a boxer called Julius Francis. Anyhow me and my mate were determined to meet Mike so we spent a whole day stood outside the Midland hotel hoping to get an autograph. We spotted Frank Warren coming out of a side door so used our heads and hung around that area and left the back exit to the press etc... anyway Joe Calzaghi came out we met him and about 15 minutes later a guy came out who they called Crocodile and stopped and shook mine and my mates hands and he told us Mike was waiting for a car to pull up and to stand back. Anyway a blacked out car pulls up and security get out move us aside and Mike appears from the building, he hears us shout his name hangs a hand out high for us to kinda grab high five him. Didn't get his autograph but it's lived with me ever since so it was worth the few hours spent waiting to see one of my boxing hero's.

Boxing is my second love too, I used to go to the Liverpool stadium back when I was a teenager. 

Met John Conteh, Alan Rudkin and Harry Scott. Johnny Cook used to drink in the Carnarvon Castle in downtown Liverpool.

I went to a sports dinner iwhere Jake LaMotta was a guest speaker.

13 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Boxing is my second love too, I used to go to the Liverpool stadium back when I was a teenager. 

Met John Conteh, Alan Rudkin and Harry Scott. Johnny Cook used to drink in the Carnarvon Castle in downtown Liverpool.

I went to a sports dinner iwhere Jake LaMotta was a guest speaker.

Class that, what I love about boxers are they are so accessible. I've been to loads of small hall shows and met boxers and had decent long chats about their careers and their future, the thing with a boxer it's within their interest to be friendly because they have to build a fan base. 

One I did forget to mention and a funny one actually Tyson Fury, to me he's a local as he originally trained at the local boxing gym to me in Wythenshawe but I was at one of his debut fights in Huddersfield on the undercard of Gary Sykes vs Andy Morris. Big John Fury was stood next to us all night, huge man. 

13 minutes ago, Devil said:

Class that, what I love about boxers are they are so accessible. I've been to loads of small hall shows and met boxers and had decent long chats about their careers and their future, the thing with a boxer it's within their interest to be friendly because they have to build a fan base. 

One I did forget to mention and a funny one actually Tyson Fury, to me he's a local as he originally trained at the local boxing gym to me in Wythenshawe but I was at one of his debut fights in Huddersfield on the undercard of Gary Sykes vs Andy Morris. Big John Fury was stood next to us all night, huge man. 

It depends on the era, like football really. We try to bring ex players over to Toronto every year, it's getting harder each year because the younger ones aren't going to do it for a couple of grand.

I find boxers the same, the older ones who didn't make a load of cash more approachable than more recent ones who have made a bundle.

14 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

It depends on the era, like football really. We try to bring ex players over to Toronto every year, it's getting harder each year because the younger ones aren't going to do it for a couple of grand.

I find boxers the same, the older ones who didn't make a load of cash more approachable than more recent ones who have made a bundle.

I'm talking younger boxers who aren't really major names yet, they will mingle with the crowd in the bar area and maybe more relaxed because they are in between fights. 

I get what you mean though, I went to a Paul Merson dinner speech and he was brilliant, he sat with us and had a laugh and even though you were expected to buy signed material he just signed the nights programmes anyway. 

I doubt top level footballers will need to bother doing after dinner speeches when they retire. 

35 minutes ago, Cazza said:

You can't get anymore interesting than Jesus except God that is.

None religious Caz, does nothing for me religion. 

Each to their own but I've got enough in life to occupy my mind, I haven't got time to spend time worshiping someone who isnt even there. 

9 hours ago, Cazza said:

If I can convince you God exists then you can convince me Man Utd are a Good team.... ?

Listen Caz, I have no issue with you being religious but I make no connection between what you choose to believe and a football team. 

I choose to not believe in God and jesus, I don't disrespect anyone for having their faith, just doesnt interest me one bit at all. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/11/2020 at 17:01, Panna King said:

I met a Footballer called Stan Collymore once, it was a weird encounter as I was parked up at a layby he let himself in the back of my car until he realised I was someone else, very strange. 

That wasn't at Cannock Chase by any chance was it? xDxDxD

7 hours ago, Panna King said:

I think I was in a place called staffordshire was years ago but never forget it as was very random.   

"a place called Staffordshire" , yeah buddy, Cannock Chase is in Staffordshire, but of course you haven't got a clue about what I am talking about. xDxDxD

I think we know that you were lucky that Stan didn't hang around in your car for too long. ;)xD

1 hour ago, Michael said:

"a place called Staffordshire" , yeah buddy, Cannock Chase is in Staffordshire, but of course you haven't got a clue about what I am talking about. xDxDxD

I think we know that you were lucky that Stan didn't hang around in your car for too long. ;)xD

Why has he a history of car jacking or crime????  Might explain it

Archived