talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Frank de Boer In Line to Succeed Allardyce at Palace

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Great news for Palace. He did the job to keep them up and now they can get a progressive coach to utilise their talent.

That's how I'm looking at it. He was the right appointment given the situation we were in but it wasn't progressive long term thinking.

16 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Just seen he took palace from 17th to one point above 17th having spent £34m

I feel like we can make fun of that but at the same time how much money do they get for staying in the premiership compared to how much they'd lose if they went down to the EFL.

13 minutes ago, Dickie said:

I feel like we can make fun of that but at the same time how much money do they get for staying in the premiership compared to how much they'd lose if they went down to the EFL.

All depends on whether or not he expanded the wage bill and if he did so by adding good players. Once you expand it you eat into any future revenues from being in the Premier League and if they are crap players then you hamper any progress the next manager can make. There's no point just staying in the Premier League because of the money, you need to make the money work.

It took us a while to recover from what he did to our wage bill in one transfer window (e.g. Alan smith and Geremi on £70k a week) and you could argue that was what made Mike Ashley a penny pinching owner. 

Interesting this, it's all well and good saying you want a progressive manager but Palace aren't a team that can afford to play that sort of game. It's been relegation fight after relegation fight for them, the next manager needs to be a gooden.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Danny said:

Interesting this, it's all well and good saying you want a progressive manager but Palace aren't a team that can afford to play that sort of game. It's been relegation fight after relegation fight for them, the next manager needs to be a gooden.

not sure finishing 10th a couple of seasons ago counts as being in a relegation fight xD 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

not sure finishing 10th a couple of seasons ago counts as being in a relegation fight xD 

The first season they came up they were in one but got out thanks to Tony Pulis, in one this season, finished 15th last season and clear of relegation by 5 points with a horrific run of form from January onwards. Think it's fair to say they're constantly in them.

They are a club that need a progressive manager.

Not a Pardew, not an Allardyce, someone with a real tactical grasp and knows how to take them to the next level. They've got the players and the funding so it'll be interesting to see who they appoint.

21 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

All depends on whether or not he expanded the wage bill and if he did so by adding good players. Once you expand it you eat into any future revenues from being in the Premier League and if they are crap players then you hamper any progress the next manager can make. There's no point just staying in the Premier League because of the money, you need to make the money work.

It took us a while to recover from what he did to our wage bill in one transfer window (e.g. Alan smith and Geremi on £70k a week) and you could argue that was what made Mike Ashley a penny pinching owner. 

My worry is we allowed him to spend big in January to a point where it's taken a chunk out of our summer budget and now he's got his bonus he cannot be bothered. But still there's a lot of progressive managers out there who have worked on a much smaller budget so I remain optimistic.

8 minutes ago, Stan said:

Last week he said we were boring. I blame Leicester for this. Created expectations that cannot be matched.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

My worry is we allowed him to spend big in January to a point where it's taken a chunk out of our summer budget and now he's got his bonus he cannot be bothered. But still there's a lot of progressive managers out there who have worked on a much smaller budget so I remain optimistic.

Last week he said we were boring. I blame Leicester for this. Created expectations that cannot be matched.

that's the last time I stick up for you or Palace ¬¬

xD 

I thought he'd fancy giving it another crack for next season, he's kept them up and was probably going to be given a decent wedge of money to spend.

Does this mean that he'll retire now?

Deserves its own thread.

Just released a statement saying he has no ambitions to take another job. A shame really - a good character and I think he'll be a bit of a miss to the PL.

• The title was changed to Sam Allardyce Quits Palace & Retires
  • Administrator

wonder if the impending retirement now is to do with the investigation that's still going on in to what happened with his England reign.

Unfortunately for us it makes sense. He will never get another chance for England or ever get a chance at a top six club and I imagine he will make plenty of money with other football and business related projects. Beating Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal with the last eight fixtures we had to help us survive when we also had Spurs, United and City is a pretty special way to go out.

Hopefully if this is the reason he has left we may keep most of his coaching staff.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

wonder if the impending retirement now is to do with the investigation that's still going on in to what happened with his England reign.

I hope not. Given his dinosaur hoofball reputation ive been really impressed with his knowledge around sports science and developing technological benefits. I don't want to think he's a terrible character.

• Subscriber

Hope the fat prick doesn't think this spell at Palace has somehow vindicated him after what happened with England. Never liked him, never will. Not denying he's got some good achievements in the game but it won't miss him.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I hope not. Given his dinosaur hoofball reputation ive been really impressed with his knowledge around sports science and developing technological benefits. I don't want to think he's a terrible character.

You ever read his book? I warmed to him after reading that.

• The title was changed to Palace Talk To 4 Managers to Replace Allardyce

Archived