talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Frank de Boer In Line to Succeed Allardyce at Palace

I've never disliked the man, I've disliked his football for the most part but he always came across as a decent person. The England fiasco was a massive error of judgement and we are all prone to doing silly things throughout our lives, no matter who we are.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have no real opinion of him nowadays. He used to irritate me years ago when he was at Bolton, Newcastle and Blackburn but he's been around long enough for me to not care about any more. 

His Bolton side was good, though. Davies used to dominate us in the air. 

Just now, Cannabis said:

Same to be honest, he's a tool but I'd take him all day over the other drongos like Pulis or Pardew.

That's not saying much though is it. It's like saying you'd much rather have chlamydia over genital warts or syphilis.

Firstly, not that I think they will, but I hope they don't go for Gary Monk whilst his future is still cloudy with us. I could see something like that happening to us the one time we find someone excelling in the role at Leeds.

Secondly, as for who takes over, Chris Coleman will obviously be a favourite because of his playing connections but I wouldn't go there if I was Palace. Sentiment isn't always the right option. Been reading that David Wagner could be a dark horse, particularly if Huddersfield don't get promoted on Monday. Would be an interesting shout. Really think they should steer clear of Ranieri, Pearson etc. Shame Gary Rowett was snapped up by Derby, I think he'd have been a good fit for Palace.

Thirdly on to Big Sam. If he's calling it a day then fair play to him. Not my cup of tea, think he's got an overinflated ego of himself, plays a horrible brand of Football and is a sly bastard. I've been critical of him and I'm not going to start arse licking him now. But ultimately he gains my respect.

Suffice to say I respect his track record in managing unfashionable clubs to respectable positions and getting as much out of them as he could. Bolton enjoyed great times under him, especially reaching Europe and having some reknown stars in their team. He managed to attract the calibre of Youri Djorkaeff, Jay Jay Okocha and Nicholas Anelka to Bolton. Bloody Bolton...of all clubs.

Newcastle was a flop. Blackburn will probably forever regret shooting themselves in the foot and sacking him because Steve Kean took them down at a rate of knots when consolidation kept them above water. West Ham he did well results wise, especially when you consider the pressure he constantly received to play better football whilst Sunderland and Palace he can all come out with his head held high in achieving the short term objectives he was set. 

England was a complete fiasco which arguably took him down a peg for his own good but all things considered, he can be reasonably proud of his career looking back. Definitely the closest thing I've seen to a real life Mike Bassett.

All the best in his retirement (Still feel he'dl come back again 'when the right opportunity' presents itself)

You lot don't actually think he's retired do you? xD

Of course he hasn't, he's just having a 6 months holiday with the £5m-£6m pay offs he's received from his last 3 employers before waiting till January to see which club offers the biggest bonus to save them from relegation. 

This is Fat Sam we are talking about! 

12 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I hope not. Given his dinosaur hoofball reputation ive been really impressed with his knowledge around sports science and developing technological benefits. I don't want to think he's a terrible character.

He has a keen interest in American sports science. He was the first to import the cryogenic chambers in England, when he was at Bolton. Unlike Wenger, he didn't get credit for bringing good changes in footballers' fitness routines, because it was easier for the media and fans to concentrate on Sam the troll and his brand of football.

I also didn't appreciate his jealous nature. For all his complaining, when he did finally get the big job, he blew it. He would have definitely done better than Roy Hodgson (which is not saying a lot, but still).

It makes sense that he's retired as his career is pointless.

He can't be England manager and he won't ever be a top 6 manager so what is the point? 

That he has retired highlights that he only took the Palace job to make sure the last memory of him wasn't the England debacle. 

3 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

You lot don't actually think he's retired do you? xD

Of course he hasn't, he's just having a 6 months holiday with the £5m-£6m pay offs he's received from his last 3 employers before waiting till January to see which club offers the biggest bonus to save them from relegation. 

This is Fat Sam we are talking about! 

I think he has, if he hasn't I don't think he'd have quit Palace when he has them on the up with a decent sized transfer budget coming up this summer. This was probably his last chance to produce a good top 10 side and he's walked away.

He might be tempted back in but I doubt it.

Yeah depending on who they appoint, it's good news for Palace.

They'll be a few to pipe up next season if they start to struggle, 'should have kept Big Sam' and that Palace are a certain level and shouldn't expect anything else. xD

A new manager (depending on who it is of course) is a risk worth taking, they need to be aiming higher as a club.

I also can't believe that Allardyce has retired for good. I'm still convinced that he'll back in football management somewhere in 6 months time.

If this truly the end of his managerial career, then he can look back on it with pride. 

6 top 10 Premier League finishes with clubs like Bolton (4 consecutive top 8 finishes from 2004-2007), Blackburn and West Ham  is very good going, as is 0 Premier League relegations across his time with Bolton, Blackburn, West Ham, Sunderland and Palace. 

On 23/05/2017 at 9:19 PM, Dan said:

You ever read his book? I warmed to him after reading that.

After what Warnock did to us I tend to wait to see what terms they leave on before reading there books.

8 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Roy Hodgson is the early favourite to replace Sam.

I wouldn't read anything in to that. He lives in Bromley, he played for our academy, we go for experienced English managers, it's an easy link.

41 minutes ago, Dan said:

I reckon this is the time you go foreign.

So do I. Wagner, Stam and Jokanovic all look like they could offer a good long term strategy for our club. I wouldn't be adverse to the idea of an English speaking ex professional who has earned his coaching stripes overseas either.

8 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

That's them gone then 

He's only shite when there's real expectation on him. Blackburn when they were rich and competing for titles, Inter Milan, us, England... all totally shite with us.

Every other job he's had he's done pretty well for himself. It's not the worst option for Palace tbh.

But I don't think it would be a step in the right direction in terms of bringing in someone progressive who can build on what they have. And I don't think he leaves clubs in the best shape for a progressive manager to take over when he's done.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He's only shite when there's real expectation on him. Blackburn when they were rich and competing for titles, Inter Milan, us, England... all totally shite with us.

Every other job he's had he's done pretty well for himself. It's not the worst option for Palace tbh.

But I don't think it would be a step in the right direction in terms of bringing in someone progressive who can build on what they have. And I don't think he leaves clubs in the best shape for a progressive manager to take over when he's done.

I don't think that was ever once the case although granted it's a job with more profile than his others.

59 minutes ago, Dan said:

I don't think that was ever once the case although granted it's a job with more profile than his others.

Beginning of the prem it was. They won it under King Kenny and after spending a shitload.

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Beginning of the prem it was. They won it under King Kenny and after spending a shitload.

I've completely misread your post. For some reason thought the "challenging for titles" bit included all of the following clubs there. 

8 hours ago, Cannabis said:

+1. 

I'd be shocked if he's not announced as their new boss. Worked wonders with Estoril getting them into the Europa League and has something to prove in the Portuguese league after that unjust sacking at Sporting. It's the perfect fit for him and I'd be surprised if it doesn't materialise.

I agree, he just seems a good fit for Porto too.

It's a shame because I would have liked him to stay in England and Palace seemed to present a good opportunity for him to do so, he's obviously a talented young manager and hopefully he comes back over here at some point.

• The title was changed to Palace Talk To 4 Managers to Replace Allardyce

Archived