talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Frank de Boer In Line to Succeed Allardyce at Palace

Don't get me wrong Big Sam had a pretty good final season with Palace, particularly in those last few games and securing their safety. If he thinks this sanctifies his dodgy dealings which led to his sacking as England coach after one  ery mediocre game he should have another thing coming. Whatever it was be it tax fraud or backhanders from betting he should suffer just the same as anyone else would. I'm fed up of hearing of people associated with football escaping the system, the Sepp Blatters of the world. Even players, Lionel Messi and Neymar for example, have been up to no good and because of their stature and potentially a quick slip of some cash they'll never serve sentences nor will they be punished.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:32 AM, Lucas said:

Firstly, not that I think they will, but I hope they don't go for Gary Monk whilst his future is still cloudy with us. I could see something like that happening to us the one time we find someone excelling in the role at Leeds.

Secondly, as for who takes over, Chris Coleman will obviously be a favourite because of his playing connections but I wouldn't go there if I was Palace. Sentiment isn't always the right option. Been reading that David Wagner could be a dark horse, particularly if Huddersfield don't get promoted on Monday. Would be an interesting shout. Really think they should steer clear of Ranieri, Pearson etc. Shame Gary Rowett was snapped up by Derby, I think he'd have been a good fit for Palace.

Thirdly on to Big Sam. If he's calling it a day then fair play to him. Not my cup of tea, think he's got an overinflated ego of himself, plays a horrible brand of Football and is a sly bastard. I've been critical of him and I'm not going to start arse licking him now. But ultimately he gains my respect.

Suffice to say I respect his track record in managing unfashionable clubs to respectable positions and getting as much out of them as he could. Bolton enjoyed great times under him, especially reaching Europe and having some reknown stars in their team. He managed to attract the calibre of Youri Djorkaeff, Jay Jay Okocha and Nicholas Anelka to Bolton. Bloody Bolton...of all clubs.

Newcastle was a flop. Blackburn will probably forever regret shooting themselves in the foot and sacking him because Steve Kean took them down at a rate of knots when consolidation kept them above water. West Ham he did well results wise, especially when you consider the pressure he constantly received to play better football whilst Sunderland and Palace he can all come out with his head held high in achieving the short term objectives he was set. 

England was a complete fiasco which arguably took him down a peg for his own good but all things considered, he can be reasonably proud of his career looking back. Definitely the closest thing I've seen to a real life Mike Bassett.

All the best in his retirement (Still feel he'dl come back again 'when the right opportunity' presents itself)

Bollocks. Me and my big mouth.

I like Dyche, rate him quite highly.

Would be interested to see what he can do at Palace where he'd probably be backed by a bit of money. He's done an exceptional job with Burnley.

• The title was changed to Palace Talk To 4 Managers to Replace Allardyce

De Boer is an interesting one. Led Ajax to four successive titles, in doing so, becoming the first Dutch manager to ever achieve this. His stock was really high. He turned down Liverpool at one point to during this time and his name was touted at most European jobs that became available. I think Newcastle wanted him at one stage?

He then failed to win the Dutch championship two years on the trot and was sacked at Inter within 3 months of starting so his reputation has taken a bit of a knock.

Clearly he does have something about him as a manager. Let's not forget also that Koeman had a bit of an up and down career before coming over to manage Soiuthampton too so there is every chance De Boer could take to the Premier League with his knowledge and experience. You would imagine he'd also have enough of a pull to attract a certain calibre of player at Palace also. He's probably the main one of the four mentioned I'd want the club to take a punt on if I was a Palace fan.

36 minutes ago, Stan said:

Ranieri, Dyche, De Boer & Pellegrino in talks to become next Palace boss

I wouldn't object to any of them. Or any of last seasons Championship Managers that have been linked. We're in a very fortunate position that we have a good team on paper and theres several good managers available and interested. The fact most business gets done near the end of the window helps us and with everybody away we have plenty of time to interview all these good candidates and suss out which would be they best fit. No need for panic at all at the moment.

• Subscriber
On 6/1/2017 at 9:06 PM, Cannabis said:

I wonder if as soon as he's appointed he bangs the ''we haven't got as much money to compete as Leicester'' drum?

According to Sean Dyche, Sean Dyche has never spent a penny on transfer fees in his life. Other than £7mil on Andre Gray, £10mil on Jeff Hendrick, £5.75mil on Steven Defour, £10.5mil on Robbie Brady, and a few others such as Tarkowski, Gudmundsson & Keane. OK they haven't spent mega money but don't be fooled that they've spent peanuts like he always makes out.

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, Lucas said:

De Boer is an interesting one. Led Ajax to four successive titles, in doing so, becoming the first Dutch manager to ever achieve this. His stock was really high. He turned down Liverpool at one point to during this time and his name was touted at most European jobs that became available. I think Newcastle wanted him at one stage?

He then failed to win the Dutch championship two years on the trot and was sacked at Inter within 3 months of starting so his reputation has taken a bit of a knock.

Clearly he does have something about him as a manager. Let's not forget also that Koeman had a bit of an up and down career before coming over to manage Soiuthampton too so there is every chance De Boer could take to the Premier League with his knowledge and experience. You would imagine he'd also have enough of a pull to attract a certain calibre of player at Palace also. He's probably the main one of the four mentioned I'd want the club to take a punt on if I was a Palace fan.

Inter strike me as a glorified Aston Villa where there's clearly internal issues at the club that will negatively impact on the manager's performance. I couldn't write a manager off just because they failed there. It could be a potentially excellent appointment.

I'm not sure I'd go if I was Dyche personally. I think Palace's side is slightly better but not massively. Not enough of a step up to turn his back on Burnley for. I do however think "slight difference" could well end up being the difference being survival or not so maybe he'll look at it that way. I think Burnley will probably go next year.

'Sky Sources' stated we were in talks with Pellegrini, then once his odds got slashed they removed all headlines and stopped talking about it on there news channel once they realised they had got him confused with Pellegrino. Great source they are.

10 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

'Sky Sources' stated we were in talks with Pellegrini, then once his odds got slashed they removed all headlines and stopped talking about it on there news channel once they realised they had got him confused with Pellegrino. Great source they are.

So, they were just doing there usual money-making exercise they always do then? They say their 'sources' have said Pellegrini has started talks with Palace, loads of mug punters go online to SkyBet and stick money on him to get the job, they suspend betting and then the story goes cold. It happens too often with Sky for it to be a coincidence. It's borderline criminal really. 

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

That would be an amazing appointment by Crystal Palace.  They must be excited by the prospect...

It's a bit surreal in the sense that I grew up watching De Boer, Rivaldo, Kluivert etc and it felt like we were a million and one miles away from them.

Then again, if you told me at the end of the 2009/10 season when we survived extinction by a corner: "look, don't worry, everything will be fine. You'll be in The Premiership in three years, and you'll get to see Mauroanne Chamakh, Mohamadou Sakho, Emmanuel Adebayor, Bredd Hangeland, Mathieu Flamini, Steve Mandanda, Yohan Cabaye, Scott Dann, Joe Ledley, Andy Johnson and Loic Remy all play for Palace. Oh, and three years after that you'll get your FA Cup moment". I'd probably have been laughing at you all summer.

I've done a lot of reading around the stand out candidates in the past fortnight and the two that have stood out the most to me have been De Boer and Pellegrino.

Everything I'm reading about De Boer seems positive. I like that he's had time to analyse the squad. I like his signings tend to be in the age gap of 21-24 due to the average age of our squad. I like his emphasis of youth because as far as I'm concerned there's some fantastic home grown talent at Chelsea, United and Arsenal that would really flourish at a club in our position. I like his record at Ajax of improving players. I like that he's a winner. I like he's a forward thinking coach. I pretty much like all I read, apart from obviously Inter.

Optimistic times are ahead.

58 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Our Apprentice style hunt seems to be finally over. A lot of news outlets reporting that we've chosen our man and it's Frank De Boer. 

That would be quality if the club made the final two possible coaches come in to do a session and all of the other coaches who had been considered but pied had to help them.

28 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

It's a bit surreal in the sense that I grew up watching De Boer, Rivaldo, Kluivert etc and it felt like we were a million and one miles away from them.

Then again, if you told me at the end of the 2009/10 season when we survived extinction by a corner: "look, don't worry, everything will be fine. You'll be in The Premiership in three years, and you'll get to see Mauroanne Chamakh, Mohamadou Sakho, Emmanuel Adebayor, Bredd Hangeland, Mathieu Flamini, Steve Mandanda, Yohan Cabaye, Scott Dann, Joe Ledley, Andy Johnson and Loic Remy all play for Palace. Oh, and three years after that you'll get your FA Cup moment". I'd probably have been laughing at you all summer.

I've done a lot of reading around the stand out candidates in the past fortnight and the two that have stood out the most to me have been De Boer and Pellegrino.

Everything I'm reading about De Boer seems positive. I like that he's had time to analyse the squad. I like his signings tend to be in the age gap of 21-24 due to the average age of our squad. I like his emphasis of youth because as far as I'm concerned there's some fantastic home grown talent at Chelsea, United and Arsenal that would really flourish at a club in our position. I like his record at Ajax of improving players. I like that he's a winner. I like he's a forward thinking coach. I pretty much like all I read, apart from obviously Inter.

Optimistic times are ahead.

You guys have indeed come a long way and consolidated yourselves as a team that's not an easy target anymore.  There's been some decent work done after the threat of doom dissipated.

De Boer would indeed be a very good appointment although I will say this with him...  His feats weren't only based on his own work but also on the work of the backroom staff at Ajax which is a complexed web of past players and football people that know what they're doing.  The problem at Ajax has always been the volatile atmosphere with too many big egos.  But that's another story...

On Manuel Pellegrini...  I don't know how much truth there is in that story but again that would be a tremendous coup because his record with "smaller" clubs (with all due respects) is second to none.  He got a town club of 30,000 inhabitants Villarreal to the semi-final of the Champions League and were playing some of the most entertaining football in La Liga at the time.  Again he done the same at Málaga which isn't exactly a big club....  He also coached Real Madrid and obviously as we all know, Manchester City which means his experience is more than just qualified.

Archived