The better place to talk football.

Frank de Boer In Line to Succeed Allardyce at Palace

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Wrong fella, SB. 

Yep...  Just saw that.  He's on about Pellegrino and not Pellegrini xD

On Pellegrino, he's highly thought of and has had some very impressive results with his football teams.  The only blight so far on that path was his brief time at Valencia which was strange.  But then again that occurred to Koeman when he went there which isn't surprising in reality as it's a club that's been in turmoil for far too long.

Now we're distancing ourselves from these reports. Balons comments about Ajax have made me think twice about this appointment. Our coaching staff have been given a lot of credit by the likes of Townsend, Cabaye, Van Aahnolt etc for the impact they've made on there games so it would be a shame to lose them.

Would be an interesting appointment after the De Boer brand took a pasting in Italy.

The only question I would ask on him would be Palace are saying they want someone who sticks around for a while after having one of the hottest manager seats in the premier league.

De Boer strikes me as someone who might use a club of Palace stature as a stepping stone back to the size of club he had in Italy?

12 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

De Boer strikes me as someone who might use a club of Palace stature as a stepping stone back to the size of club he had in Italy?

That's all managers though isn't it? Anybody with any ambition is looking to use 'smaller' clubs as a step towards 'bigger' ones.

1 hour ago, The Liquidator said:

Would be an interesting appointment after the De Boer brand took a pasting in Italy.

The only question I would ask on him would be Palace are saying they want someone who sticks around for a while after having one of the hottest manager seats in the premier league.

Well anybody who took over that Inter Milan team would be up for a pasting, everyone in Holland said he shouldn't go for it but he wouldn't to prove people wrong.   The fact his style is completely the opposite of Inter Milan and Italian football it was never going to work, The Premier League or Spain is the best place for De Boer but there is also the fact of the coaching team, I have said before there were many factors at Ajax what made him successful, it wasn't down to just him. 

2 hours ago, Large said:

That's all managers though isn't it? Anybody with any ambition is looking to use 'smaller' clubs as a step towards 'bigger' ones.

Have to agree. The likes of Ronaldo, Bale and Suarez have shown that every English club is a stepping stone for someone else. It's extremely naive to think that we could attract a Manager that could set up a legacy. One of our clubs biggest heros and most loyal players became Manager and used us as a stepping stone for Bolton for fucks sake.

3 hours ago, VanPanna said:

Well anybody who took over that Inter Milan team would be up for a pasting, everyone in Holland said he shouldn't go for it but he wouldn't to prove people wrong.   The fact his style is completely the opposite of Inter Milan and Italian football it was never going to work, The Premier League or Spain is the best place for De Boer but there is also the fact of the coaching team, I have said before there were many factors at Ajax what made him successful, it wasn't down to just him. 

There is alot of truth in what you say VanPanna. Don't get me wrong I am not trying to talk down De Boer or paint him as a poor manager. I actually would like to see him take over at Palace as I think he has a bit about him in the hot seat. My worry is he wont stick around too long, but as Large pointed out, that can be pointed towards almost all up n coming managers.

I'm more concerned after hearing an interview with Ronald DeBoer. He's said that Frank believes in possession based football where you carry the ball forwards, and even if he loses four games in a row Frank won't change his methods because he knows he's right.

Given the only central player I can think of that can carry the ball forward is Puncheon we could be in real trouble. Our teams success on the last four years has come from playing counter attacking football. If he doesn't adjust at first we could be regretting not going for Roy Hodgson.

Archived