talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace 4-1 Leeds - Saturday 7th November, 2020

football forum

• Administrator

Kick-off 15.00

Live on BT Sport Box Office

821px-Crystal_Palace_FC_logo.svg.png      VS     1200px-Leeds_United_F.C._logo.svg.png

Head to Head Record
Crystal Palace - 17
Draws - 16
Leeds - 29

Last Meeting
09/03/2013 - Crystal Palace 2-2 Leeds (Championship)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be very interesting to see how we respond from Monday night's defeat. That will definitely have hurt us.

Still no Rodrigo due to covid which is a shame, hopefully Raphinha is back in contention after his injury too, we looked like we missed that bit of quality they possess Monday.

Big game for Pablo Hernandez. Had a shocker against Leicester on his return, took far too long to get into it. It's a good game there for him to dictate.

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I could cry about it but what's the use. I think most of you have experienced it and now we have.

Can't say it's a sexual experience.

IMG_20201107_152411.thumb.jpg.815211bcf327adb5f8bfc8c93c7ed0a8.jpg

I'm astonished that given all the rule changes that have occurred in the previous twelve months that the offside rule wasn't considered. We saw over a year ago when the Sheffield United full back was offside by a hair against Spurs that the rule wasn't fit for purpose and we have seen dozens more incidents since then.

I accept there will always be a grey area, but that grey area should benefit the attacking player. We now live in a world where a player can't point to where he wants the ball.

11 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I'm astonished that given all the rule changes that have occurred in the previous twelve months that the offside rule wasn't considered. We saw over a year ago when the Sheffield United full back was offside by a hair against Spurs that the rule wasn't fit for purpose and we have seen dozens more incidents since then.

I accept there will always be a grey area, but that grey area should benefit the attacking player. We now live in a world where a player can't point to where he wants the ball.

They changed the handball rule hoping it'd mean that became a bit more sensible in terms of goals being taken away, but it's just made the offside rule total shit. So short-sighted

11 minutes ago, Danny said:

How has the handball rule effected the offside rule?

Feel the offside rule should be feet only 

Because they've redefined what handball is. You can now play the ball with the top of your arm, which means that part of the body can be offside. That's what happened here with Bamford and with Mane in the derby

I think the feet thing's a good idea because that's what you play the ball with 90% of the time and (obviously) where you run from. Would also probably allow them to put some tech in/around the boots so offside decisions can be done really quickly like they do with the goal line stuff (although not as fast as that)

22 minutes ago, Cicero said:

It’s the shoulder, no? You’ve always had the ability to play the ball on your shoulder. 

The rule is any part of your body that you can score with. You can score with your shoulder. Hence why it was offsides?

The line they have used is down from the shoulder on the arm.

IMG_20201107_155040.thumb.jpg.88b6c8efb93289ae55960e3cde72b581.jpg

Anyway, its obviously bullshit and a terrible decision but it doesn't excuse us shipping 4 more. 

No excuses defensively. Appalling. Twice in a week is unforgivable to me, especially as we're talking Leicester and Palace here, not City or Liverpool.

We need the break. Get Kalvin Phillips and Rodrigo back ASAP. Looked very poor without them.

50 minutes ago, Cicero said:

It’s the shoulder, no? You’ve always had the ability to play the ball on your shoulder. 

The rule is any part of your body that you can score with. You can score with your shoulder. Hence why it was offsides?

Can't be bothered to do 2 pages on the rules with you again :ph34r:

It's the "t-shirt line" now which is a little bit below the shoulder, where before it essentially cut off at the torso (hence the armpit thing). It also extends all the way around now. If you played the ball with the outside of your shoulder before, that would almost certainly be interpreted as the arm.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Lucas said:

I could cry about it but what's the use. I think most of you have experienced it and now we have.

Clearly offside :ph34r:.

Everton, Villa both has good starts and were promptly brought back down to earth with a bump. Now Leeds. Two heavy defeats. Can't say they're probably too disheartened. Not like any side will win every game anyway. Had a decent start and now just probably needing to find their feet and their way again. 

Wonder if it'll be Southampton next. Got some tough fixtures coming up. 

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Back down to the earth for Leeds. Some of the hyperbole about them has been ridiculous, these results might do them some good long term.

That is the media though in fairness, that's not come from us. All your Talksport, Sky, BBC, Telegraph etc.

We played no different to last year just that the PL isn't used to newly promoted sides having that approach, as much as we are not used to being punished for every mistake at this level.

Two back to back heavy defeats certainly bring up a warning flag to me. But I won't be getting suicidal over it either.

Phillips and Rodrigo will improve the side when they are back 100%. Llorente hasn't even had his debut yet, he should improve us defensively and Raphinha is only just getting integrated. Squad quality in depth is proving an issue but perhaps to be expected.

We will finish the season a better team than we started and we'll learn from the experiences.

• The title was changed to Crystal Palace 4-1 Leeds - Saturday 7th November, 2020
  • Subscriber
5 hours ago, Lucas said:

Unhappy to be proven right. The sooner we abandon this absolute farce and we can get back to football again the better.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived