talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man City 1-1 Liverpool - Sunday 8th November, 2020

football forum

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Felt like Liverpool were missing a midfield for most of the second half. Having players like Fabinho and Thiago available to bring on might have helped them to stay more on top of the game once City had settled and started to slow the pace down.

15 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Got to think Thiago will make such a difference to Liverpool too, that calm controlling presence will move them up a notch. TAA will be a loss though if he’s out for a while. 

I reckon with Thiago's vision, we would have won comfortably. 

There's a certain irony about Sterling trying to stay on his feet when Jota fouled him and 45 seconds later, Mane goes down off Walker's challenge and wins a penalty.

Punished for being honest. Can you blame players for going down if the referee's/VAR don't support them.

31 minutes ago, Lucas said:

There's a certain irony about Sterling trying to stay on his feet when Jota fouled him and 45 seconds later, Mane goes down off Walker's challenge and wins a penalty. 

Punished for being honest. Can you blame players for going down if the referee's/VAR don't support them.

To be fair I think the referee let play go on because Sterling was still in control of the ball going into the box and something may have come of it. Ive absolutely no problem with that, at least common sense is being used instead of reading from a script. Also, when Jota challenged Sterling it was way outside the box. City only stood to gain a free kick.

The foul on Mane was blatant. Nailed on penalty.

14 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

To be fair I think the referee let play go on because Sterling was still in control of the ball going into the box and something may have come of it. Ive absolutely no problem with that, at least common sense is being used instead of reading from a script. Also, when Jota challenged Sterling it was way outside the box. City only stood to gain a free kick.

The foul on Mane was blatant. Nailed on penalty.

But the nuts and bolts of it is Sterling was fouled and you won a penalty 40 odd seconds later. It's tough to take that in a game of fine margins. I'd be pissed off it that happened to us.

Got to be harder for City to take given last season when they had that handball shout at Anfield, Fabinho went up the other end and scored too.

6 minutes ago, Lucas said:

But the nuts and bolts of it is Sterling was fouled and you won a penalty 40 odd seconds later. It's tough to take that in a game of fine margins. I'd be pissed off it that happened to us.

Got to be harder for City to take given last season when they had that handball shout at Anfield, Fabinho went up the other end and scored too.

Not sure it was a foul at all. Can certainly see why Sterling staying on his feet has raised a few eyebrows though.

57 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Felt like Liverpool were missing a midfield for most of the second half. Having players like Fabinho and Thiago available to bring on might have helped them to stay more on top of the game once City had settled and started to slow the pace down.

Yeah, agree. I think it was a mistake to not bring Keita on to be honest, especially when we lost TAA's forward thrust

5 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Not sure it was a foul at all. Can certainly see why Sterling staying on his feet has raised a few eyebrows though.

Must admit, I thought it was but Sterling staying on his feet didn't help his cause.

I'm interested to know if you Liverpool fans feel you can make a front 4 work with Salah, Mane, Firmino and Jota going forward? Or did it hinder you from taking more control of the game?

Raised my eyebrows to be fair.

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Must admit, I thought it was but Sterling staying on his feet didn't help his cause.

I'm interested to know if you Liverpool fans feel you can make a front 4 work with Salah, Mane, Firmino and Jota going forward? Or did it hinder you from taking more control of the game?

Looked shoulder to shoulder to me. Didn't think it was a foul in real time and I would've absolutely lost it had VAR deemed it clear and obvious and brought it back xD

Yeah, I think we do lose control a bit, but I think Klopp essentially decided, given their midfield quality and defensive frailty, we were better off ceding some control and trying to play vertically at every opportunity, which worked for a bit but then we looked very vulnerable. Obviously we won't play teams of City's quality every week, so my concern isn't so much control as what you lose from Salah by having him up top instead of out wide.

34 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Really? 

I thought we cut through them time and time again and really should have won the game easily had it not been for poor final balls on our part.

Thought we were by far the more threatening in all honesty.

4 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Really? 

I thought we cut through them time and time again and really should have won the game easily had it not been for poor final balls on our part.

Thought we were by far the more threatening in all honesty.

And i think we nearly won 4-1, Jesus should of at least scored that header and De Bruyne should of had a brace too  ..with us being out of form, i'm happy with a point tbh

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Rick said:

Hopefully Trent just has a bit of a tight calf, or a slight strain and is back in a fortnight. Having him, Fabinho & Thiago all returning after the break would be a massive boost. 

If they can be not risked til after their first game back from the break I think that would be best.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Wish Klopp and Guardiola would stop banging on about the 5 subs, there was a vote and they lost. The international games,  however, should just be scrapped.

And in some recent games, they didn't even use their 3 subs allowed anyway xD

1 sub used vs Liverpool
2 subs used vs Sheff Utd
2 subs used vs Arsenal

Klopp:
2 vs Man City
2 vs Sheff Utd

28 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Wish Klopp and Guardiola would stop banging on about the 5 subs, there was a vote and they lost. The international games,  however, should just be scrapped.

They're right though. All the other top leagues have it. The English teams in Europe are at disadvantage because of it.

24 minutes ago, Stan said:

And in some recent games, they didn't even use their 3 subs allowed anyway xD

1 sub used vs Liverpool
2 subs used vs Sheff Utd
2 subs used vs Arsenal

Klopp:
2 vs Man City
2 vs Sheff Utd

Klopp has used all 5 in each Champions League game. Probably not used the third in those league games in case of another injury

On 09/11/2020 at 09:48, LFCMike said:

They're right though. All the other top leagues have it. The English teams in Europe are at disadvantage because of it.

So what? English football is not here for your service. 5 subs would be of immense benefit to you, but not to most of the smaller clubs. Most European leagues are basically cuckolds to the bigger clubs now, thankfully England still doesn’t let clubs like Liverpool bully their way through. I hope they hold out on this.

2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

So what? English football is not here for your service. 5 subs would be of immense benefit to you, but not to most of the smaller clubs. Most European leagues are basically cuckolds to the bigger clubs now, thankfully England still doesn’t let clubs like Liverpool bully their way through. I hope they hold out on this.

Smaller clubs are going to be fucked when they start playing two games a week more than they're used to as well.

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It could be a benefit to smaller clubs though. Maybe those two extra subs, are the extra effort between a loss and draw, or hanging onto points because of fresh legs. You could argue that most teams don't have the depth but I don't think that they are that shallow that they couldn't take advantage of two extra subs, they are English clubs in the Premier League, let's not pretend they are hard out for cash. Personally, I don't care either way but I can definitely see the pros and cons to both.

21 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Smaller clubs are going to be fucked when they start playing two games a week more than they're used to as well.

Those clubs have less international players too, so less matches for players in their squads and less injury. Tbh I think it’s less about “fairness” and more about some clubs not giving a fuck about player welfare if they think it might close the gap between big clubs.

In any case, fuck em

2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Yes, ‘fuck em’ the exactly the attitude of your Tory club nowadays. Furlough, project big picture etc more Thatcher than Shankly now.

Yeah well hard to give a fuck about people who don’t give a fuck about us tbh

1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Yes, ‘fuck em’ the exactly the attitude of your Tory club nowadays. Furlough, project big picture etc more Thatcher than Shankly now.

Yes Liverpool are the only Premier League club to put self interest first. 

Archived