talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal 0-3 Aston Villa - Sunday 8th November, 2020

football forum

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scary thing is Grealish, McGinn and Barkley probably could start for us. At least two of them would. Setting up like Burnley of course is very effective against the big clubs mainly because we have much better players than Burnley. No doubt Arteta can set up a team very well defensively but offensively we have been absolutely trash.

Continuing to keep starting Lacazette is baffling, not even trying Aubameyang upfront is baffling. Dropping Pepe every other game makes no sense, not even including Nelson and Willock in the 18 after good run outs in Europe makes no sense and the way he has dealt with Guendouzi and Saliba is very poor man management. Also playing a back 3 at home to mid table clubs doesn't work. 

I'm not out on him but I do have concerns, he needs to start expanding our play otherwise we will never be consistent. We took a massive gamble on a rookie head coach, this is a result of that gamble. I wonder how long the club will give him to let him figure it out. 

• Subscriber

Is Arteta simply experimenting or does he actually go into these games with the idea that the gameplan is right for the team he is playing against? I am surprised he starts Lacazette as well and its more baffling considering that everyone can see how wasteful the Frenchman is as striker when you have someone like Auba waiting to play that role and has done so very well in the past as well. 

The worrying thing about Yesterday is that Arteta never changed a thing apart from injury that forced Partey to come off.  He never changed to a back 4, to allow another midfielder on as we were getting overrun, he left Holding on the pitch who was getting ripped apart.  Next few games will be crucial for Arteta, I think the downfall of him will be the lack of creativity and it will cost him in the end.  Arsenal have not scored in 5 Premier league games from open play now.  

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Just seen the highlights of this. 

Wow, how bad are Arsenal?

Nevermind worrying about not qualifying for Europe this season... they need to be worrying about finishing top half of the table. 

Same. That defending for Trezeguet's goal was crazy. It was as if the game had stopped xD. Just everyone stationary while Barkley waited for an inside runner to support himself and Grealish. 

16 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

I think we're comparing Chelsea under Conte to Arsenal simply because of a similar playing system, you know there are other factors involved.

This is a bold statement and I always get some strange looks and reactions when I say this in front of people but we actually went backwards under Conte and we're still clearing up some of the mess. I'm not saying this is what is happening with Arsenal and Arteta, I'm talking in purely Chelsea terms here. Under Conte, from the football played, the press conferences, the signings, the stuff behind the scenes, winning things really papered over the cracks. I'm definitely not saying that Conte didn't bring positives, he did but he really didn't leave the club in a better place compared to the one when he came in. You know Lampard and the current squad may not even get close to winning a league title and an FA Cup but we're wrong to always heavily use trophies as a barometer of success. 

Mourinho too. This conservative approach is so much a 'quick fix' vs something you can build on to become sustainable. Especially how football continues to evolve. 

• The topic was unpinned
14 hours ago, Cicero said:

Practically identical to when we parked the bus against Barca in 2012. Except this is against Villa. At home. And 2-0 down...

EmY-jn3XMAAukqv?format=jpg&name=small

Arteta is a 1 trick pony, he only knows how to set up a team to counter and defend for their lives, against Villa he played the same formation with 5 at the back but it back fired as the players tried to attack but the whole tactics were a failure. 

Archived