talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leeds United Discussion

football forum

football forum

#SignGarryMonk is doing the rounds on Twitter as the Leeds United fans show their support but whispers coming out of the club is that he's set to be axed. Leeds spent most of the season in the play-offs before falling at the final hurdle but Monk's work so far has been received with tremendous praise. 

Do you think it would be wrong for Cellino to part ways with the Englishman?

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Can see it coming and it would be absolutely typical of Leeds nowadays. Although the way they've ended this season is very disappointing, he's gotten them so much further than anyone has in years. It would be brainless from an outsider looking in to get rid.

Bloody hell, they need to keep him, he's the best they'll get by a mile and has made good progress in one year. They'll build on it over the summer and finish higher next season.

Get the feeling he'll be on a hiding to nothing next season though, as soon as they hit a bad spell he'll be gone.

• Administrator

Nothing surprises me with Cellino any more. 

Ruthless owner expecting instant success but not realizing that Monk is actually doing quite well and taken Leeds as high as as they have been in the last few years. Quite clearly the foundations are there for Leeds to go further. 

If he axed Monk, he's just setting the club further back. 

If Gary Monk is not offered a new contract I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a job in The Premiership after the next managerial merry go round. His stock has risen to the level where it should be given where he took Swansea in his one full season and that they were not in the relegation places when he was sacked.

Almost definitely not, and it's not a case of him calling time. He only has a contract to the end of the season and he's spoken out about how much their is to fix behind the scenes at Hull City. I imagine he'll go if we stay up or drop, West Ham have been rumoured but I think he'd have more attractive suitors on the continent.

He's the best man for the job, even if they go down.

The result yesterday against Sunderland was a poor one but he's done a great job really, that's a squad who just sneaked up through the play-offs and has had very limited investment.

They aren't down yet either.

Yeah, he can do better. His remarks since being manager seem to suggest there's more to fix than the manager, which doesn't fill me with confidence that he'd stay, even if he's right. If there were a change in ownership then who knows. To be honest nobody is going to begrudge him leaving, he's done well and played good football, we're the ones who gave him a 6 month contract.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, HoneyNUFC said:

If he wants to stay in England he will stay at Hull. There isn't going to be opening for him any time soon elsewhere.

West Ham

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

If he wants to stay in England he will stay at Hull. There isn't going to be opening for him any time soon elsewhere.

Possibly us. Shakespeare's only got it until the summer.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Do you not think he will be taken on?

60/40 in favour of yes. I think yesterday was a strong statement in favour of him getting the job after some recent "hmm actually..." vibes, but I still get the feeling there's a bit of a Di Matteo / Chelsea thing about it where ultimately, it's not what the owners really want yet what's happening on the pitch is backing them into doing it.

As daft as it sounds as well he might not want it. Very different to being a number two. It might not be for him in the long-run.

But I'd like to see him get it. I totally see the arguments about us looking elsewhere but I think he's earned a chance. I don't think a lot of people appreciate how good our form is under him. Since he's got the job only Spurs have better league form than us.

I believe he has a clause in his contract that will trigger a one year extension if we stay up. But barring a miracle that won't happen. He said when he joined the club that he's always wanted to manage in the Premier League, he took English lessons long before working in the country in anticipation of it, and I just don't see him sticking around for the Championship. I wouldn't begrudge him either, he proven his quality and has done a fantastic job, we really should have been dead and buried long before now. 

I could see him at Southampton. Rumour has it that Puel has lost the dressing room and there's been talk of him getting the sack. I think Marco would do well there. If Leicester decide not to keep Shakespeare on I could see him there as well, he's excellent at bringing the best out of players who have something to prove (although I guess Mahrez, Vardy et al. have answered their critics a bit since Ranieri was dismissed). I just hope he doesn't go to West Ham, they don't deserve him. 

• The title was changed to Leeds United Discussion

Archived