talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leeds United Discussion

football forum

Amidst the anger and frustration amongst the LUFC fanbase at the moment (Pontus, Phillips/Roofe rumours), we did actually return to the pitch last night.

Solid 5-0 win against York City. What impressed me was how 'at it' we were in our first game.

Bielsa has murdered them so far in pre season as he usually does, but fitness wise, we looked sharp.

I was also very impressed with some of the youngsters brought on. It pleases me to see we have such a conveyor belt of talent being churned out each season.

Reasons to be cheerful.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Amidst the anger and frustration amongst the LUFC fanbase at the moment (Pontus, Phillips/Roofe rumours), we did actually return to the pitch last night.

Solid 5-0 win against York City. What impressed me was how 'at it' we were in our first game.

Bielsa has murdered them so far in pre season as he usually does, but fitness wise, we looked sharp.

I was also very impressed with some of the youngsters brought on. It pleases me to see we have such a conveyor belt of talent being churned out each season.

Reasons to be cheerful.

You’re rumoured to have made a bid for Romaine Sawyers who if he signs for you will leave you spunking Gary Neville style all over the gaff

4 hours ago, Danny said:

You’re rumoured to have made a bid for Romaine Sawyers who if he signs for you will leave you spunking Gary Neville style all over the gaff

I have heard the rumour but then we have been rumoured with a load of players.

What is his best position? Trying to picture where he'd actually go presuming we don't lose anyone else.

28 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I have heard the rumour but then we have been rumoured with a load of players.

What is his best position? Trying to picture where he'd actually go presuming we don't lose anyone else.

Box to boxish but more attacking/tempo controlling 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Jack Clarke not played in the first two games now, if this continue hope Pochettino is recalling him at the earliest possible opportunity. Better to train and learn from our players and manager than at Leeds if he's not getting game time. 

Jack Clarke will wait his chance till he deserves it. Simple as that.

We've developed the boy all his life, he's in the best hands he could be in, with people that known him and nurtured him.

It's a long season. He will play his part I've no doubt. Still a very raw talent and Pochettino knows that or else he'd not have let him back here to continue his growth.

Have to say, thought we dealt with Sky's banana skin extremely well last night. 

Bit of a lose lose situation for us really, but we rotated a few about and did enough for a comfortable win without over exerting ourselves. Ideal.

Pleased to see Nketiah up and running. That's the type of goals we want him to score. Predatory.

Just a note on Salford. They get a bit of stick for being famous but I'm not a hater to be fair. I don't mind the fact they have come from where they have to where they are now, good luck to them.

Don't think they will find League Two as much a breeze as maybe they have been predicted mind.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/07/2019 at 14:18, Lucas said:

Watching this series will kill me.

Spoiler.

This is going to have an even worse end than The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

Finished this last night.

Brilliantly made series. Even as a neutral or non Leeds fan, I think this is an absorbing watch. Especially post Spygate stuff and the Dan James transfer that literally broke down just before the window shutting. Great insight.

Obviously it doesn't have the 'fairytale ending' which still hurts to buggery, but it feels more realistic as a result and relatable. It's not always about happy endings, especially in our case, but the series manages to end in a way that makes you want promotion even more.

Very impressed. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.fb0e4844e9434730564b388727104a95.png

Jordan Stevens: Leeds United midfielder given six-week FA ban for betting rule breaches

10 Sep 2019

CLUB STATEMENT: JORDAN STEVENS

Jordan Stevens charged by FA.

We acknowledge the sanctions passed down by the FA to Jordan Stevens following a breach of betting regulations.

We will support Jordan through this process, he is a young footballer who needs educating on the dangers of outside influences and how to conduct himself as a professional footballer.

As a club, we feel that banning a 19-year-old footballer from even participating in training or interacting with the club’s staff is an excessive punishment. 

Leeds United chief executive Angus Kinnear commented: “Whilst we fully recognise the importance of the FA's role in protecting the integrity of the game, we are hugely disappointed in the FA's choice of sanction.

“To prevent a young footballer from taking part in any football activities at such a critical period of his career is a disproportionate punishment following a foolish mistake from a young player.

“We are particularly disappointed that the sanction was determined by two former professional footballers who we hoped would have had a better understanding of the impact of their decision.”

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/team-news/25473/club-statement-jordan-stevens

• Subscriber
On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 15:59, Lucas said:

Jack Clarke will wait his chance till he deserves it. Simple as that.

We've developed the boy all his life, he's in the best hands he could be in, with people that known him and nurtured him.

It's a long season. He will play his part I've no doubt. Still a very raw talent and Pochettino knows that or else he'd not have let him back here to continue his growth.

Just seen this and disagree. The only reason for him being there would be to get more games under his belt. Otherwise he's far better off being at a Champions League club than the Championship.

Supposedly Pochettino wasn't very interested in having him and it's a Levy bargain special so we shall see how he gets on.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

What's happened to Leeds @Lucas? I really thought Marcelo was doing a good job when he took over as manager but Leeds seem to be stuttering again like last season.

Saturday was a write off because of the referee. Cannot moan about the team because we were hard done by.

Sending off and a penalty inside the first 10mins for something where there was little to no contact and it ruined the game sadly.

As for the other games, only ourselves to blame. We have chances and havent been clinical enough to put games to bed. Cost us in 3 home games especially.

Very annoying and frustrating because technically we are the best footballing team in the division. We dominate games, outplay sides, have more attempts and yet somehow don't win. Was a similar story last year and I personally feel we miss a top class striker.

If we had a regular scorer, i think we are good enough to win the league by 10pts, and I am a pessimist when it comes to Leeds. We are streets ahead of some of these teams and yet we are not where the stats reflect we should be.

Marcelo will not panic. He will stick to his beliefs and play the way he knows. And I guess we will live and die by that. Hopefully we can find a way to try and be more efficient in front of goal because if not, we won't be going anywhere and he will be off.

• Administrator

Saw the penalty incident and thought it was an absolute joke. Referee's has lost the game with a big call like that so early on. An incorrect call for me at that, too.

It's the slightest of contact, if any. 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Saw the penalty incident and thought it was an absolute joke. Referee's has lost the game with a big call like that so early on. An incorrect call for me at that, too.

It's the slightest of contact, if any. 

The standard of refereeing down here is another level. 

The problem is if you are on the wrong end of a bad one, there is no VAR to sort it, you have to take it on the chin.

Chances are, Berardi will get that overturned. Yeah, that's great but we still played a game for 80mins with 10 men and lost so its no real consolation.

Even worse when you think Millwall had a couple shots on goal all game and we still dominated the ball. That's how poor they are.

But that's the way it goes. You just hope it even's itself out. A break will do us good to be fair. 

Just now, Lucas said:

The problem is if you are on the wrong end of a bad one, there is no VAR to sort it, you have to take it on the chin.

Chances are, Berardi will get that overturned. Yeah, that's great but we still played a game for 80mins with 10 men and lost so its no real consolation.

Even worse when you think Millwall had a couple shots on goal all game and we still dominated the ball. But that's the way it goes. You just hope it even's itself out.

Still two points of top mate, and all teams dropping points. To be fair no current real favorite for the top spot, hell even for the top two spots.

14 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Still two points of top mate, and all teams dropping points. To be fair no current real favorite for the top spot, hell even for the top two spots.

It is a consolation for sure but that's what makes it so frustrating mate.

I feel like we should have taken advantage and been the team top and clear by 5 or 6 points but we've really let the others back in.

But at least its very much all to play for. Last year was heartbreaking, i don't think I can go through that again.

37 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Even worse when you think Millwall had a couple shots on goal all game and we still dominated the ball. That's how poor they are.

But that's the way it goes. You just hope it even's itself out. A break will do us good to be fair. 

Not taking anything away from the circumstances of the Millwall game, which were unfortunate, but I’d argue that Leeds themselves are poor, or at least show signs of being poor (for want of a better word) in the final third. 

You have scored 2+ goals three times this season, against two poor sides in Barnsley and Stoke and Bristol City and not since March have you scored 2 at home in a normal league game. That’s worrying. Granted, you’re not bad at keeping clean sheets but your inability to score is a problem. 

12 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Not taking anything away from the circumstances of the Millwall game, which were unfortunate, but I’d argue that Leeds themselves are poor, or at least show signs of being poor (for want of a better word) in the final third. 

You have scored 2+ goals three times this season, against two poor sides in Barnsley and Stoke and Bristol City and not since March have you scored 2 at home in a normal league game. That’s worrying. Granted, you’re not bad at keeping clean sheets but your inability to score is a problem. 

I'd agree with you when it comes to converting chances.

Obviously I appreciate you went to the Charlton game and I felt we didn't create a lot that game despite the domination. We were very poor with crosses and missed Pablo Hernandez, who has missed the last three as it goes. It is fair to see that we have games where we huff and puff a bit.

But against Forest, Swansea and Derby, we have battered the opposition, pulled them apart and missed golden chances and then paid the price late in the game. Derby was a joke, as was Forest and these two sides are up there. Swansea were not much cop either. That is what is most frustrating.

I'd like to feel I am a level headed Leeds fan. I don't get carried away when we win and I am usually quite pessimistic. But I honestly feel in terms of play, we possibly have the best side in the division.

I just feel we are missing a top class striker. If we had a Chris Wood, Teemu Pukki, Dwight Gayle, Tammy Abraham, Neal Maupay etc, proper predators and nailed on 20 goal a season players, I think we'd be lethal. Are expected goals column is so high because of our domination but converting that has been appalling.

Bamford just isn't that player. Misses too many chances because he is more instinctive as opposed to having time on the ball to bury a chance.

I would also say we miss a top class winger. Harrison has no end product and we have yet to see Costa break out into top form.

I do wonder if its a mental thing now. I feel like watching Leeds, can be a slog, because I don't expect us to put 3, 4 or 5 on the board and I wonder if the players feel the same. 

If the opposition manage to stay in it, we are going to get sucker punched.

5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I'd agree with you when it comes to converting chances.

Obviously I appreciate you went to the Charlton game and I felt we didn't create a lot that game despite the domination. We were very poor with crosses and missed Pablo Hernandez, who has missed the last three as it goes. It is fair to see that we have games where we huff and puff a bit.

But against Forest, Swansea and Derby, we have battered the opposition, pulled them apart and missed golden chances and then paid the price late in the game. Derby was a joke, as was Forest and these two sides are up there. Swansea were not much cop either. That is what is most frustrating.

I'd like to feel I am a level headed Leeds fan. I don't get carried away when we win and I am usually quite pessimistic. But I honestly feel in terms of play, we possibly have the best side in the division.

I just feel we are missing a top class striker. If we had a Chris Wood, Teemu Pukki, Dwight Gayle, Tammy Abraham, Neal Maupay etc, proper predators and nailed on 20 goal a season players, I think we'd be lethal. Are expected goals column is so high because of our domination but converting that has been appalling.

Bamford just isn't that player. Misses too many chances because he is more instinctive as opposed to having time on the ball to bury a chance.

I would also say we miss a top class winger. Harrison has no end product and we have yet to see Costa break out into top form.

I do wonder if its a mental thing now. I feel like watching Leeds, can be a slog, because I don't expect us to put 3, 4 or 5 on the board and I wonder if the players feel the same. 

If the opposition manage to stay in it, we are going to get sucker punched.

I agree, you didn’t create much against Charlton that really troubled them. I think you had 4 shots on target from something like 19, so that looked an off day.

That’s the thing, Bamford looks a worker but he’s not the goalscorer you need. 

1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

I agree, you didn’t create much against Charlton that really troubled them. I think you had 4 shots on target from something like 19, so that looked an off day.

That’s the thing, Bamford looks a worker but he’s not the goalscorer you need. 

Thing is, at the end of the day, if we haven't got Top 2 after 46 games, clearly we've learnt nothing from last year and that will be that.

Can't keep dominating the ball, be the best side on paper statistically and not win the games. It keeps happening not through just bad luck, but because we are missing something.

We will see. We deserved it last season and were unlucky fate went against us but this year, I feel its more in our hands.

Fulham and West Brom will be the danger.

Archived