talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leeds United Discussion

football forum

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

IMG-20200130-WA0004.thumb.jpg.50d545ef426142f2884b47d45f2bc3ac.jpg

Really great news financially for the club with the new Adidas kit deal on the horizon. Every bit of investment will be vital in taking the club forward.

Further evidence though why we have to get out of this division now more than ever when you see the potential for things to snowball our way if we do.

Not surprised by the # of shirts sold there - Leeds are genuinely a huge club and dwarf a lot of the top flight sides, even after all this time out in the wilderness.

And yes, please get the fuck out of the division and come back to the top flight. And if that means more Adidas money and other external investment for you, great. If you get back in the league and are good again... that would be a great thing for English football imo.

It's been way way waaaay too long.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Lucas said:

Really great news financially for the club with the new Adidas kit deal on the horizon. Every bit of investment will be vital in taking the club forward.

Further evidence though why we have to get out of this division now more than ever when you see the potential for things to snowball our way if we do.

That will look smart, Adidas will add a premium touch to the brand. Those Kappa kits look like scuba diving tops to me.

13 hours ago, Lucas said:

How big is the Leeds fans base in the city/country?

The fan base in Leeds is massive. It's a one club city which always helps but almost everyone you speak to around the city supports Leeds United and wouldn't dream of supporting any other team.

Obviously success in the past has meant we've got fans from further afield too and then there's families who are Leeds supporting families who pass it down to their kids even if they have no connection to the city.

Leeds United is a massive club and there's no bias there at all.

• Subscriber

Just looked at getting tickets for any upcoming home match. Do they generally sell out before they go on general sale? Bristol City game is sold out. I can't do the 23rd so think I'm going to struggle to get to one for a while!

3 hours ago, Pyfish said:

Just looked at getting tickets for any upcoming home match. Do they generally sell out before they go on general sale? Bristol City game is sold out. I can't do the 23rd so think I'm going to struggle to get to one for a while!

Been very hard to get tickets for a while now. Very very rarely do general sale get a look in at the moment. Need to ideally be mates with a ST holder or someone with a Gold/Silver membership.

Makes sense when you hear about this...

20200204_111324.thumb.jpg.f46b86f3c4f164695860b4b7eb773c23.jpg

• Subscriber
Just now, Lucas said:

Been very hard to get tickets for a while now. Very very rarely do general sale get a look in at the moment. Need to ideally be mates with a ST holder or someone with a Gold/Silver membership.

Makes sense when you hear about this...

20200204_111324.thumb.jpg.f46b86f3c4f164695860b4b7eb773c23.jpg

I'm going to try and get some through work. It's frustrating but really good for the club!

8 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

I'm going to try and get some through work. It's frustrating but really good for the club!

Good luck. Hope you manage it because regardless of being a Leeds fan, it's still one of the best grounds to visit when it's rocking IMO.

8 Home games left. I'm lucky to get my tickets through a mate up there so I'll be going to Huddersfield and Stoke games and either the Barnsley or Charlton game.

Charlton on the last day will be absolutely mental if it has something riding on it.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

@Lucas word on the street is that Leeds are being sought as a club of interest by Qatari owners who are linked with those at PSG, and there's a possible partnership in the making should any of ownership deal go through...

16 hours ago, Stan said:

@Lucas word on the street is that Leeds are being sought as a club of interest by Qatari owners who are linked with those at PSG, and there's a possible partnership in the making should any of ownership deal go through...

That has been going on all this season and last summer.

I've no doubts conversations have taken place seeing as our owner Radrizzani has been a guest on a number of occasions at PSG and their owner was at Elland Road for a game.

But there is no doubt they won't be interested until we are a PL club, such would the value of the club shoot up.

We will see.

• 3 weeks later...

Started watching that Leeds docu on Amazon, some bias in there to be expected but it's decent. Wish it would investigate Bielsa more though, Leeds pull off a coup of a lifetime in pulling a world class manager to a Championship side and the documentary spends half it's time talking to Josh Warrington

Just now, Danny said:

Started watching that Leeds docu on Amazon, some bias in there to be expected but it's decent. Wish it would investigate Bielsa more though, Leeds pull off a coup of a lifetime in pulling a world class manager to a Championship side and the documentary spends half it's time talking to Josh Warrington

I love Bielsa, but I'm not sure I'd go as far as to call him a world class manager. A world class philosopher? 100% but he's not really achieved a whole lot in his managerial career outside of Chile, Argentina and Newells

Nothing huge anyways, he's definitely had his moments at Bilbao and Marseille. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/01/2020 at 14:50, Lucas said:

It looks like Jean Kevin Augustin is going to be the man.

Reports saying the deal is done. Loan move from Leipzig.

Played for them last season I believe and a loan to Monaco this year where he's hardly played. Know nothing else about him other than a few video clips.

People saying its a bit of a coup but I've literally no idea what he's like.

Well that's hardly been the case, has it? With all the injuries he's had over the past few months, Augustin's stay at Leeds has been a bit of a failure, to say the least. Augustin has apparently only just returned to Leipzig after his loan deal with Leeds United ended at the end of June.

Leeds paid RB Leipzig 4 million to loan Augustin for 5 months, but the French forward has only played 3 times for Leeds, because he has been stricken by injuries. It has also been reported that if Leeds win promotion, they will be obliged to buy Augustin for a further 21 million. 

Now that may seem like a reasonable fee to pay for a 23 year old forward, who looked promising at PSG and RB Leipzig a few years ago. But he has always had niggling injuries and his hamstring injury seems to be a chronic problem with him. Many are saying that he may have long term injury issues.

If that is the reality, then RB Leipzig will have done very well out of this deal. In the summer of 2019, they loaned Augustin out to Monaco for 4 million, where Augustin made 10 appearances without scoring a single goal. Leipzig then loaned him to Leeds in January 2020, again for 4 million and again Augustin didn't manage to score any goals in the paltry 3 appearances he made for Leeds. Leipzig now face the prospect of earning a further 21 million from Leeds, if Leeds get promoted, which is something that seems very likely to happen. It seems that RB Leipzig have done well with how they have dealt with Augustin's loans and his prospective transfer.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Michael said:

Well that's hardly been the case, has it? With all the injuries he's had over the past few months, Augustin's stay at Leeds has been a bit of a failure, to say the least. Augustin has apparently only just returned to Leipzig after his loan deal with Leeds United ended at the end of June.

Leeds paid RB Leipzig 4 million to loan Augustin for 5 months, but the French forward has only played 3 times for Leeds, because he has been stricken by injuries. It has also been reported that if Leeds win promotion, they will be obliged to buy Augustin for a further 21 million. 

Now that may seem like a reasonable fee to pay for a 23 year old forward, who looked promising at PSG and RB Leipzig a few years ago. But he has always had niggling injuries and his hamstring injury seems to be a chronic problem with him. Many are saying that he may have long term injury issues.

If that is the case, then RB Leipzig will have done very well out of this deal. In the summer of 2019, they loaned Augustin out to Monaco for 4 million, where Augustin made 10 appearances without scoring a single goal. Leipzig then loaned him to Leeds in January 2020, again for 4 million and again Augustin didn't manage to score any goals in the paltry 3 appearances he made for Leeds. Leipzig now face the prospect of earning a further 21 million from Leeds, if Leeds get promoted, which is something that seems very likely to happen. It seems that RB Leipzig have done well with how they have dealt with Augustin's loans and his prospective transfer.

I'm guessing that @Lucas didn't know he would get injured or how long he would miss xD 

20 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'm guessing that @Lucas didn't know he would get injured or how long he would miss xD 

Yeah, I think @Michael has had a bit of a 'mare there, unless he's just misinterpreted things.

When I said "It looks like Jean Kevin Augustin is going to be the man", I clearly meant in reference to our much publicised striker search given all we had to rely on was Patrick bloody Bamford xD

As far as JKA goes, we have been extremely unlucky to see him pick up two hamstring injuries, especially when during lockdown, he'd slimmed down and was flying in training. To get injured a few days before the start was massively unfortunate.

Sadly, I feel his time here will be shortlived. No way can we pay that fee for someone we've barely seen. I should imagine he'll head back to Leipzig soon and that will be that.

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Yeah, I think @Michael has had a bit of a 'mare there, unless he's just misinterpreted things.

When I said "It looks like Jean Kevin Augustin is going to be the man", I clearly meant in reference to our much publicised striker search given all we had to rely on was Patrick bloody Bamford xD

As far as JKA goes, we have been extremely unlucky to see him pick up two hamstring injuries, especially when during lockdown, he'd slimmed down and was flying in training. To get injured a few days before the start was massively unfortunate.

Sadly, I feel his time here will be shortlived. No way can we pay that fee for someone we've barely seen. I should imagine he'll head back to Leipzig soon and that will be that.

When you wrote you thought Augustin will be the man, I thought you were suggesting that he will be the main man. That is what I inferred from what you wrote and my reply was given in accordance to that.

As for Leeds not being able to afford the fee for Augustin, well they are going to have to pay up if they get promoted, as that was part of the deal. If they get promoted, they will actually be able to buy him. But I don't think that signing him for that amount will be a great deal for Leeds. However, this was all part of the loan deal that Leipzig and Leeds agreed to in January, according to several German sources, including Kicker.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/jean-kevin-augustin-transfer-fee-18427519

11 minutes ago, Michael said:

When you wrote you thought Augustin will be the man, I thought you were suggesting that he will be the main man. That is what I inferred from what you wrote and my reply was given in accordance to that.

As for Leeds not being able to afford the fee for Augustin, well they are going to have to pay up if they get promoted, as that was part of the deal. If they get promoted, they will actually be able to buy him. But I don't think that signing him for that amount will be a great deal for Leeds. However, this was all part of the loan deal that Leipzig and Leeds agreed to in January, according to several German sources, including Kicker.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/jean-kevin-augustin-transfer-fee-18427519

Nope, I'd never suggest that because as a fan for many years, I am not naive enough to ever make bold statements like that, especially from a player I've never seen play. Don't think I've ever been like that in all my times on the board or old place, I'm fairly level headed.

I'm well aware of the clause, but I would be surprised if nothing has been put in regarding minutes or insurance against injury, that simply wouldn't be right.

Co-incidentally, news from the club is he has gone back today. Which again not keeping him around the squad makes me feel like we believe we can get out of that one.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Nope, I'd never suggest that because as a fan for many years, I am not naive enough to ever make bold statements like that, especially from a player I've never seen play. Don't think I've ever been like that in all my times on the board or old place, I'm fairly level headed.

I'm well aware of the clause, but I would be surprised if nothing has been put in regarding minutes. You cannot sign a player when he has barely played.

Co-incidentally, news from the club is he has gone back today. Which again not keeping him around the squad makes me feel like we believe we can get out of that one.

Ok, fair enough, that's just how I inferred it, but now you've made clear what you meant. I've never really followed you much on here to be honest, apart from a few posts. I mainly focus on German football when I am on this site.

I am not sure as to what the specific details of the deal actually are. However, many of the news outlets are reporting that Leeds will have to buy him, if they get promoted. You say that a club cannot sign a player that has barely played, but that is all surely dependent on what detailed deal Leipzig and Leeds struck, which could be anything really.

I am sure that Leeds will want to get out of this one, but I have also read that this deal could go to the courts. Because the season was supposed to be over before July, by which time we would have known if Leeds were promoted or not. As it has happened, COVID-19 has put a spanner in the works and delayed the season. Augustin has now returned to Leipzig, leaving a bit of a question mark as to how the deal is now going to go ahead. So I think that this could be a long drawn out dispute between Leipzig and Leeds, which the courts may have to decide.

• 2 weeks later...

Kalvin Phillips out for the last 3 games.

He is the talisman, the lynch pin of the team and it's never the same without him. Gutted for him as a Leeds boy not being able to see it to the end. We will miss him.

@Lucas Have no idea if it’s true but I just read that you might sign Benrahma if we don’t go up and I think that would be the biggest kick in the teeth we could have.

With that said Benrahma having the chance to play under Bielsa would be great for him, would give you lot the goalthreat you’ll lack next season without reinforcements 

7 hours ago, Danny said:

@Lucas Have no idea if it’s true but I just read that you might sign Benrahma if we don’t go up and I think that would be the biggest kick in the teeth we could have.

With that said Benrahma having the chance to play under Bielsa would be great for him, would give you lot the goalthreat you’ll lack next season without reinforcements 

I have seen those rumours mate but not gonna lie, we are being linked to bloody every man and his dog right now so I take them all with a pinch of salt.

Obviously he is a very good player but I wonder how he'd get on in a team where he will be expected to track back also? We shall soon see though. There is no doubt he is better going forward than what we have but we also have players extremely disciplined in the way we play.

42 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I have seen those rumours mate but not gonna lie, we are being linked to bloody every man and his dog right now so I take them all with a pinch of salt.

Obviously he is a very good player but I wonder how he'd get on in a team where he will be expected to track back also? We shall soon see though. There is no doubt he is better going forward than what we have but we also have players extremely disciplined in the way we play.

He could fit into that style, certainly since the break he has been a lot more disciplined dropping back which has been noted by Thomas Frank and a few fans too.

Certainly our style is slightly different to yours in that we’re happy to sit back and hit teams on the counter as well as dominate possession whereas you are full steam ahead for 90 minutes but I think anyone who can play with the discipline Thomas Frank requires could play under Bielsa 

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Leeds are now in the big time (EPL) wouldn't this thread be better off in the Premier League than in this Football League thread, just a thought?  :coffee:

@Stan or any other Admin/Mods 

Thank you John. We weren't aware.

Archived