talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leeds United Discussion

football forum

I am not sure how this is going to turn out, but how crap it must feel to be Augustin right now? When two clubs are fighting it out not to have you, it can't be doing too much to his confidence. He is actually a very decent forward, it's only really injury problems that have hampered his performances early on in his career. He still has the potential to improve as he is still only 23.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how this case pans out.

https://www.insidefutbol.com/2020/08/08/leeds-united-depending-on-specific-wording-to-avoid-signing-jean-kevin-augustin/464656/

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Michael said:

I am not sure how this is going to turn out, but how crap it must feel to be Augustin right now? When two clubs are fighting it out not to have you, it can't be doing too much to his confidence. He is actually a very decent forward, it's only really injury problems that have hampered his performances early on in his career. He still has the potential to improve as he is still only 23.

https://www.insidefutbol.com/2020/08/08/leeds-united-depending-on-specific-wording-to-avoid-signing-jean-kevin-augustin/464656/

He didnt seem to bothered sitting on a yacht the day Leeds got promoted.

Just now, The Palace Fan said:

He didnt seem to bothered sitting on a yacht the day Leeds got promoted.

Yeah, I guess these top flight players are all filthy rich multi-millionaires, so normal day life is an absolute breeze for most of them when they are not working. However, the situation between Leipzig and Leeds must still somewhat dent his ego, lol. xD

6 hours ago, Michael said:

I remember us having this conversation before and I said at the time I felt confident the way the club were acting that we would get out of that deal and I can't say I've seen anything further to suggest we're worried we have to pay.

And I should imagine the way the player and the club have distanced themselves since would suggest both parties know he has no future here.

It smells bad if I'm honest on our part, and I do feel like we've tried to worm our way out the situation we caused ourselves from bad negotiating, but if we can use a technicality to get out of it, I don't blame us given his injury record.

I think the worst that will happen will be the player stays at Leipzig and we are asked to pay some sort of 'settlement' sweetener to them which will be very little.

As you say, will be interesting to see what materialises.

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.c24c084d104e3bede40f9d5096782508.png

Leeds United: Marcelo Bielsa to stay at the club for Premier League campaign

Leeds United manager Marcelo Bielsa has confirmed he will be staying with the club for their first season back in the Premier League.

The 65-year-old's contract expired this summer after he led Leeds to the Championship title. Bielsa joined on a two-year deal, with the option of a third year, in June 2018.

FULL REPORT

• 1 month later...

Just lost Kalvin Phillips for 6 weeks. Major blow for us that.

He actually didn't have a great game for us Monday but he's still massively integral to what we do.

Going to be hard pressed to replace him seeing as we have two centre backs injured also.

It will be interesting to see if we cope ok or suffer a dip in form as a result.

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

He actually didn't have a great game for us Monday but he's still massively integral to what we do.

Going to be hard pressed to replace him seeing as we have two centre backs injured also.

It will be interesting to see if we cope ok or suffer a dip in form as a result.

At age 47 I'm not sure he can offer much anyways. Chin up mate. 

8 hours ago, Lucas said:

Bielsa will pull magic out of a hat.  Whatever we think he'll do he won't lol.  I think we'll be OK even if Cooper isn't ready.  I'd expect to see Dallas at CDM and Koch/Struijk at CB.  Alioski in at LB.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having watched LUFC for over 60 years I have one suggestion which would help their present problems - Young Mr Philips needs a colleague in mid-field to play with him who has similar abilities and experience to know when and when not to give the men up front the perfect ball - the best I have seen since David Beckham is my young friend who based his game on that of David and who has been disrespected by his present boss almost to the point of criminality.  My piccie says it all - he would be available for free in Summer or a small fee in the January window.  He and Kelvin would be awesome! Just like he was with Leon in his earlier days at 04.  Get the Leeds bosses to ask about Max - even if you doubt the idea, a man who captained his team to the Final of the Olympic games and was the only team member to score in the final can't be all that bad!  I sat with David Wagner in Italy when 04 beat Roy Hodgson's gang in the Euro final and he has never forgiven 04 for that - I still think Max is paying for that!  Just an idea......

2 hours ago, SchalkeUK said:

Having watched LUFC for over 60 years I have one suggestion which would help their present problems - Young Mr Philips needs a colleague in mid-field to play with him who has similar abilities and experience to know when and when not to give the men up front the perfect ball - the best I have seen since David Beckham is my young friend who based his game on that of David and who has been disrespected by his present boss almost to the point of criminality.  My piccie says it all - he would be available for free in Summer or a small fee in the January window.  He and Kelvin would be awesome! Just like he was with Leon in his earlier days at 04.  Get the Leeds bosses to ask about Max - even if you doubt the idea, a man who captained his team to the Final of the Olympic games and was the only team member to score in the final can't be all that bad!  I sat with David Wagner in Italy when 04 beat Roy Hodgson's gang in the Euro final and he has never forgiven 04 for that - I still think Max is paying for that!  Just an idea......

I've never seen him play to judge but I cannot see Marcelo changing the system too much for a new player who isn't acclimatised to the physical demands it takes to play for this team.

Besides, Mateusz Klich is also in midfield, slightly advanced of Phillips and just keeps getting better and better.

We could never drop him IMO, he runs through brick walls.

I do think we need someone to add to the squad though for when we miss Phillips. Leicester and Palace games were classic examples of that. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Max Meyer?! Nah, Leeds definitely do not need him xD

Talk to Kloppy about him - you might just change your mind - we had a number of get togethers in Dortmund with Max and friend Mario when they were younger although Mario was 3 years older they were often together and rivalry on the field was something to watch!

6 hours ago, SchalkeUK said:

Talk to Kloppy about him - you might just change your mind - we had a number of get togethers in Dortmund with Max and friend Mario when they were younger although Mario was 3 years older they were often together and rivalry on the field was something to watch!

I absolutely do not want to sign Max Meyer!

He’s looked bang average in England. Maybe he’s not at the right club for his skill set... but I haven’t seen much that really justifies any of the hype from when he first broke through

14 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I absolutely do not want to sign Max Meyer!

He’s looked bang average in England. Maybe he’s not at the right club for his skill set... but I haven’t seen much that really justifies any of the hype from when he first broke through

It sounds a little bit like the Marko Marin story? Came over to Chelsea from Germany quite highly rated, then 4 years and 6 appearances later... xD

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It sounds a little bit like the Marko Marin story? Came over to Chelsea from Germany quite highly rated, then 4 years and 6 appearances later... xD

Marin failed to live up to expectations at Bremen already, we were all relieved when Chelsea bought him... Would always try to dribble past, and either lose possession or throw himself down hoping for a whistle. So frustrating xD

4 hours ago, nudge said:

Marin failed to live up to expectations at Bremen already, we were all relieved when Chelsea bought him... Would always try to dribble past, and either lose possession or throw himself down hoping for a whistle. So frustrating xD

Seems like he was a massive let down then. Not sure where the hype came from? Unless they thought he was going to be a star for the German team?

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Seems like he was a massive let down then. Not sure where the hype came from? Unless they thought he was going to be a star for the German team?

He looked very promising when he was still playing at Gladbach; at that point he was definitely seen as one of the most promising talents in German football. After signing for us, he looked pretty solid at first and partnered well with Özil and Hunt, but was unfortunately too inconsistent, lost his regular place in the starting XI and then seemed to stagnate in his development altogether. His last season for us was extremely frustrating; granted, the whole team was crap, but still, I could never understand why Chelsea went for him; for someone struggling with physicality even in the Bundesliga, England surely didn't look like a good choice at all. Maybe they thought Marin just underperformed in a crisis-club and that they'd be able to get the best out of him? Not sure, really.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Out of curiosity, how's Robin Koch doing so far?

Ok I'd say. I like him and I think all things considered he's adapted well.

He's currently out for 3 months after knee surgery so we're missing him, especially his height in the box. I really like how comfortable he is on the ball, suits the side so well in that aspect.

I feel for him because he literally joined, had 3 days of training and was chucked in at the deep end v Liverpool on the opening day due to injuries.

Initially, I think the pace and intensity over here caught him out. He looked a little vulnerable and its not easy to play in our team the way we set up so he had lot's to learn and quickly.

He's never had a regular centre back partner for long enough either to strike up that partnership but I've seen enough initially to think we've got ourselves a potentially class player.

Given the price, I think we've done well and give Marcelo time to work with him more, he will be fine.

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

One of the all-time greats of football, I hope he pulls through ok.

Peter Lorimer: Leeds United's record goalscorer 'battling a long-term illness in a hospice

_117314437_pl_get.thumb.jpg.e13e060c05809096fcbabc8973b9f5ed.jpg

Peter Lorimer made his debut for Leeds aged just 15 in 1962

Leeds United's all-time record goalscorer Peter Lorimer is "battling a long-term illness" in a hospice, the club have announced.

The 74-year-old former Scotland international scored 238 goals in 705 appearances for Leeds over two spells spanning 23 years.

He won two league titles, the FA Cup and League Cup with Leeds under legendary manager Don Revie.

In a statement, Leeds asked for privacy for Lorimer's wife Sue and family.

The Premier League side also thanked "fans across the world for their wonderful messages of support".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56214764

Archived