talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leeds United Discussion

football forum

2 hours ago, El Profesor said:

The source is a reliable brazilian journalist. 

But I find it odd. Why would Leeds sell Raphinha in the middle of a tough season? Would Bayern spend that much money on a brazilian player? 

Merry fucking Christmas.

The only reason would be the board know more than we know as fans on the injury crisis and may want to use the money to bring in say 3 players at the expense of losing 1 (albeit, what a one to lose).

Remember, we are struggling big time for numbers and on the cuff of being dragged in a relegation dogfight. We've been told we must likely sell before we can buy and he generates the most money behind a currently injured Phillips. 

Obviously hope it's rubbish. But if this is true, I will be gutted. Not only would we be losing a great player integral to our team, but I actually think that price tag is off for one of Europe's most wanted men.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without Raphinia this season I think it's fair to assume Leeds United would be comfortably in the bottom three. They're paying the price for having a manager that relies on a small squad and going forwards they'll have to reevaluate what they're doing in training to avoid another circumstance like this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Danny said:

Also completely justifies Bielsa’s job security which is most important for Leeds

Absolutely this.  How anyone can argue that he hasn't done a phenomenal job is beyond me.  He's coaching a U-23 team in the Premier League.

5 hours ago, Stan said:

Somewhat impressive, @Lucas

Also begs the question for lack of reinforcements last month? 

Beyond impressive. Honestly, the man has worked wonders and through it all, never complained, not once. He get's on it with it because he believes it's his job to find solutions to issues.

When you add on top of this that Bielsa has handed first team debut's to 8 of the U23's this season, it shows how far we have been stretched. Our bench will have given many side's heart attacks this season due to how many kids have been sat on there.

And this is exactly why when someone makes a lazy comment about 'Second season syndrome' and Leeds, I switch off, because they do not see the bigger picture.

I will admit, I was disappointed we didn't add in the window. Personally, I felt we needed some support. However, in more recent times since Bielsa has been there, Leeds have always been more frifty in the market. They will not commit to a player 100% unless he fits the profile to what they want.

They 100% know they want Brenden Aaronson. They tried to get him early, it couldn't happen so they decided to wait because they are confident of getting him in the summer. He is exactly what they want and they see no point in gambling money and affecting next season and so on.

Bielsa was told he could have Ven der Beek or Harry Winks to cover to end of the season. He declined both. He does not like short term loans, especially when there is no purchase clause. He actually finds it frustrating to improve someone else's player and then see a club benefit more out of them than Leeds. Ben White was an extremely frustrating case for him and when Brighton realised they had a £20-30m player, they wouldn't do business with us and I honestly think he's been put off after that.

Bielsa also works with a small squad of 20. It is his choice, so when we are stretched, effectively it is on him. But he likes to have players that can be versatile and fit several positions. In addition, he firmly believes in bringing through the youngsters and not many will know this but every day in training, the youngsters are mixing with the first team in drills to make them feel at home in the environment, be part of the bond so that when they are called upon, they understand the patterns of play and fit in seemlessly. We have seen this particularly with Joe Gelhardt this season.

Lot's of clubs will have their squad of 25 made up with 5 or 6 deadwood players, that can do the job for 4 or 5 games asked of them over the season, where as we will look to fit youngsters in to bring them through. If you are a kid, you look at Leeds and see the perfect chance to come through and make your name.

When we have our first choice team out, there is definitely no danger of relegation. I'd say we are a solid Top 12 team. And if we get those players like Phillips, Bamford, Cooper back regularly, we will be fine. There is a bit of uncertainty and nervousness because we are still amongst the relegation fight, particualrly with others below us now strengthening quite a bit.

But the club firmly believe they have enough and put faith in these players who have been involved in the set up over the last three years which only typifies the spirit amongst the players.

Honestly, there are times when I have questioned Bielsa for sticking square pegs in round holes and sometimes it feels like he makes life harder for himself tactically when the answer seems to be staring him in the face but equally, you can only step back and applaud what he's doing because everything he does carries a genuine purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Phil Hay at The Athletic Leeds have sounded out possible replacements for Bielsa should the club and manager decide to part ways this summer.  Two names on the list were Jesse Marsch and Ernesto Valverde.

9 hours ago, Coma said:

According to Phil Hay at The Athletic Leeds have sounded out possible replacements for Bielsa should the club and manager decide to part ways this summer.  Two names on the list were Jesse Marsch and Ernesto Valverde.

I am preparing myself for the fact he won't carry on forever, it's going to happen eventually and those vibes it could be in the summer are gatheribg pace.

It's already the longest he's ever spent at a football club, probably more than he initially intended, but he fell in love with the place and they fell in love with him.

He will be sorely missed when he does go and I bet it will make many look back on his time here and realise just how lucky we were. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Coma said:

At this point I think they're better off just keeping him out for the season so he can be healthy for next season.  

Agreed, we'll have to do it without him but I also think this magnifies the need for a striker next season now. It must take priority.

Jesse Marsch needs to put faith in Gelhardt now. No square pegs in round holes, play a striker up front  that's all we ask.

He has to start games, he's definitely good enough and we need that forward presence in the box, not Dan James, who is a winger.

I'd like to think that a few more points would be enough to stay up.  If that can be achieved then I completely agree that Orta need to go all in on a CM, number 10, and a striker at a minimum.

You could make a case for a left back and right back as well.

1 hour ago, Coma said:

At this point I think they're better off just keeping him out for the season so he can be healthy for next season.  

It could be worse,  you could have Callum Wilson,  who misses on average 50% of the season with injury. 

9 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

It could be worse,  you could have Callum Wilson,  who misses on average 50% of the season with injury. 

Bamford had a horrific injury record before he came to Leeds.  He actually missed half of his first season under Bielsa and they leaned on Kemar Roofe.  He had two relatively healthy seasons in 2019-20 and 20-21, which were exceptional years by his standards, both in performance and games played.  This season has been a complete write-off for him and for the club to go into this season with only 1 recognized center forward knowing that Bamford has been beating the odds was ridiculous. 

• 2 months later...

What a great story.... 

Pablo Hernandez broke down in tears after 250 Leeds fans travelled to Spain for his final game

Having been on the chopping block for the final few weeks of the campaign, Leeds somehow found a way out thanks to their final day heroics. A goal from Raphinha, coupled with a last-gasp strike from Jack Harrison was enough to secure survival and consign Burnley to the dreaded drop.

Having secured safety by hair’s width, fans focussed their attention elsewhere, namely towards club legend Pablo Hernandez who has been plying his trade out in Spain.

Hernandez can be considered a bona-fide Leeds legend after making 176 appearances for the club, netting 36 crucial goals in the process. The Spaniard was a crucial cog in the Marcelo Bielsa that finally secured promotion back to the Premier League for the famous old club after what had been a painful absence.

So, after he had given them so much, fans found the perfect to repay him as a significant group jetted off to Spain to wish him well in his final professional game.

Having turned out in the colours of his home-town club Castello for the last time, Hernandez was visibly emotional as he thanked the Leeds contingent for their incredible gesture.

Flanked by his family, a teary Hernandez applauded the Leeds fans, who made sure to show Hernandez all the love he deserved after a thoroughly respectable career.

123-81

30 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

What a great story.... 

Pablo Hernandez broke down in tears after 250 Leeds fans travelled to Spain for his final game

Having been on the chopping block for the final few weeks of the campaign, Leeds somehow found a way out thanks to their final day heroics. A goal from Raphinha, coupled with a last-gasp strike from Jack Harrison was enough to secure survival and consign Burnley to the dreaded drop.

Having secured safety by hair’s width, fans focussed their attention elsewhere, namely towards club legend Pablo Hernandez who has been plying his trade out in Spain.

Hernandez can be considered a bona-fide Leeds legend after making 176 appearances for the club, netting 36 crucial goals in the process. The Spaniard was a crucial cog in the Marcelo Bielsa that finally secured promotion back to the Premier League for the famous old club after what had been a painful absence.

So, after he had given them so much, fans found the perfect to repay him as a significant group jetted off to Spain to wish him well in his final professional game.

Having turned out in the colours of his home-town club Castello for the last time, Hernandez was visibly emotional as he thanked the Leeds contingent for their incredible gesture.

Flanked by his family, a teary Hernandez applauded the Leeds fans, who made sure to show Hernandez all the love he deserved after a thoroughly respectable career.

123-81

Brilliant 👏 

2 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

What a great story.... 

123-81

He will forever hold a place in our hearts. Not just a great player for us, but a genuinely lovely bloke. Pivitol in our promotion and actually left a hole in our team that was never filled. The hope is he'll come back as a coach at some point.

When I saw that the weekend, it didn't surprise me. Our fans are mad like that, especially when they take you into their hearts.

Whenever Bielsa gets his next job  they will do the same.

• 3 months later...

What a bizarre final 24 hours of the window, only at Leeds.

Set the scene. It's well documented we've been wanting a striker, the fans haven't been happy to simply go with Rodrigo, an unreliable for fitness Bamford, and a still green round the ears Gelhardt as our options.

Tuesday's pre-match programme notes before Everton game, we've done our business, happy with the three striking options, described as two international established strikers (Bamford 1 cap v Andorra) and the hottest young striker in the division. Fanbase cant believe the way the club have spun it.

And just like that, Rodrigo dislocates shoulder v Everton, taken off.

Wednesday comes. Leeds ask Wolves about Hwang. Put forward a bid that Wolves reject, not happy with the payment structure and below their valuation.

Wednesday evening, Leeds agree to meet the fee PSV want for Cody Gakpo. A winger but can play up front, club feels he solves a problem. Fans excited for what they see as a high calibre signing.

Victor Orta flies out to Eindhoven to wrap up the deal and meet the player after his game Wednesday night and seal personal terms. All expected to go through. Private pane is booked back to Leeds for the morning for Orta, Gakpo, his agent and 5 family members.

To compliment that, Leeds agree to let Dan James go. Tottenham, Everton, Fulham all rumoured. James happy at Leeds, wants to stay but club intent to make space for Gakpo who plays wing and up front. James is talking to Fulham. Fans unhappy James is going and squad losing depth.

Thursday morning, deal collapses With Gakpo. Gakpo stays at PSV. Allegedly worried after a call by Van Gaal that his game time is imperitive before the World Cup and questions minutes at Leeds. PSV want to keep him and propose a higher contract. Orta comes back to Leeds alone.

Shambles. Club is now desperate knowing Rodrigo is out for 4 weeks.

Now here is the best story of the day.

Shortly before lunchtime, Leeds agree fee with Marseille for Bamba Dieng. Verbally agree personal terms and book a flight for him and his agent for late afternoon.

Club believes its done. Radrizzani tweets back to a disgruntled fan on the Gakpo deal that we will revisit that in January and for now welcome Dieng to the club. 

About 4:30, reports that Nice are making a hijack bid for Dieng. Transpires this is true and he misses his flight to travel to Nice. Leeds pull out of deal, furious.

Dieng agress to join Nice. Has medical, FAILS medical xD Has to return to Marseille.

All the meanwhile, Dan James is at Fulham, agreed terms and having a medical. It's done. He is waiting on Leeds to green light tje deal but with no player incoming, Leeds fans expect deal to be cancelled.

Leeds frantically search for striker. Turn to Brereton-Diaz and make an offer. This is considered too short by Blackburn who Leeds feel are asking too much. No deal.

Leeds say Dan James to Fulham will definitely happen. Fans can't believe we've gone from wanting to sign a player to losing depth of the squad. Treatment of Dan James disgusting.

Coming up to 11pm, Leeds announce last min deal for Willy Gnonto, a young Italian winger/forward from Zurich. Jesse Marsch was asked about him two weeks ago to which he said we are interested but he will not be Premier League ready. So the club sign him. Amazing.

Dan James deal confirmed by Fulham.

Leeds, you've well and truely outdone yourselves.

Archived