talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leeds United Discussion

football forum

34 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

One of the all-time greats of football, I hope he pulls through ok.

Sorry to hear that, so many of the legends from the 60's are passing away these days.

I met Peter when he was playing for the Toronto Blizzard back in the 80's in the old NASL. They always tried to hype everyone and Lorimer got the nickname "Thunderfoot" 

A really nice fella, it doesn't sound hopeful, I just wish him the best.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

One of the all-time greats of football, I hope he pulls through ok.

From what I've heard, it's not looking too clever.

We lost Norman Hunter, Jack Charlton, Paul Madeley, Trevor Cherry and Alex Sabella last year. Unbelievable.

All of them denied the chance to come to Elland Road and watch our club back in the top flight again.

And if Lorimer goes, that will be another of the legends from our greatest team under Revie to have left us. Absolute load of shite.

Fingers crossed but I'm not optimistic.

17 minutes ago, Lucas said:

From what I've heard, it's not looking too clever.

We lost Norman Hunter, Jack Charlton, Paul Madeley, Trevor Cherry and Alex Sabella last year. Unbelievable.

All of them denied the chance to come to Elland Road and watch our club back in the top flight again.

And if Lorimer goes, that will be another of the legends from our greatest team under Revie to have left us. Absolute load of shite.

Fingers crossed but I'm not optimistic.

Was Mick Jones a Revie player?

Met him loads of times. He had a shop in the village where my mum lived. Got my first ever football boots and shin pads from him haha. 

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Was Mick Jones a Revie player?

Met him loads of times. He had a shop in the village where my mum lived. Got my first ever football boots and shin pads from him haha. 

Yeah Mick was another Revie player.

So many great players and larger than life characters in that 60's Leeds team.

• 3 weeks later...

Great match last night, but marred by the news of Hotshot's passing.  I stood with him when we were younger and watched Dundee beat United 4-1 in the Dundee Derby and he said at that time he would not play in that sort of game - 'hard' was not the best way to describe it.  One of the most honest guys I was ever knew and although he was almost ten years younger than me we met up regularly on Thursday evenings in the bar in the Queen's in the centre of Leeds where the players had a weekly session.  Sad day and I bet Elland Road looks like a florists by Dinner time!

47 minutes ago, Cazza said:

Here's a question that's just puzzled me, when Patrick Bamford was in the championship there were questions asked about his general quality 'meaning' his goals to chances ratio were High but the general consensus was he put important chances away. I'm unsure of his general movement and defensive contribution but in the Premiership his play has been Good and general stats improved of that in the Championship. Is he a better player in the Premiership than when in the Championship?

Premier League is a bit more tactical than the Championship so there is an argument that he will flourish more there than the Champ, but he's also 27 now so not the kid everyone used to talk about being not that good

RIP Peter Lorimer. Saw him and he was always a danger, and classy

By the way Leeds. Thanks for beating Fulham as we can't do it ourselves thanks to Bruce and his "defend in depth, dont attack" mentality he's inflicted on us for two seasons. We'll get thumped by Brighton tonight with a possession similar to the appalling 30%-70% in favour of Brighton up here. The only people defending Bruce are the media who don't have to watch Newcastle and ex players and managers who are his mates. 

2 hours ago, Cazza said:

Here's a question that's just puzzled me, when Patrick Bamford was in the championship there were questions asked about his general quality 'meaning' his goals to chances ratio were High but the general consensus was he put important chances away. I'm unsure of his general movement and defensive contribution but in the Premiership his play has been Good and general stats improved of that in the Championship. Is he a better player in the Premiership than when in the Championship?

I would say a lot of it is purely down to the belief shown in him in Bielsa.

No one has stuck by Pat and given him that confidence like Marcelo has. But we are talking about a bloke here who has proven methods to turn average players to good one's as typified by our team.

Marcelo has stuck by him, even when it's been tough going (Our fans were on his back big time) and he has finally found a place he can call home. It's never easy when you are constantly on the move.

I'd also say the way we play, we create a fair number of chances so it's no wonder he is scoring more goals in our team. What he brings to this side in terms of workrate, graft and movement is top drawer, the question mark has always been his finishing and hopefully he is peaking and will improve with us because he has been pivotal to our season so far.

16 hours ago, Lucas said:

R.I.P Peter Lorimer.

Sadly, couldn't recover from long term illness.

Another of the great's has gone. Unbelievable how many 'proper' legends we have lost over the last 12 months.

R.I.P. Peter Lorimer

@Lucas what are you opinions on that player of yours going to galatasary?

I have mixed opinions on it.  

First of all I understand  Leeds fans not  being happy with it.

However I do think it is a bit complicated

First of all you have to ask if the club at the time and now have any responsibility for it?

It isnt necessarily the clubs fault they stabbed the two men and if they have acted sympathetically there isnt a lot they can really do.

Secondly I think it depends on what most galatasary fans think about it. When you play for a club you are playing for the fans of that club. If most galatasary fans didn't care I think it may be wrong to play for that club. However if most think it was a terrible thing then I dont think it's wrong to play for those fans. Its  not their fault what some other fans did.

Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Lucas what are you opinions on that player of yours going to galatasary?

I have mixed opinions on it.  

First of all I understand  Leeds fans not  being happy with it.

However I do think it is a bit complicated

First of all you have to ask if the club at the time and now have any responsibility for it?

It isnt necessarily the clubs fault they stabbed the two men and if they have acted sympathetically there isnt a lot they can really do.

Secondly I think it depends on what most galatasary fans think about it. When you play for a club you are playing for the fans of that club. If most galatasary fans didn't care I think it may be wrong to play for that club. However if most think it was a terrible thing then I dont think it's wrong to play for those fans. Its  not their fault what some other fans did.

Thoughts?

Whilst I understand those that are deeply upset if Alioski joins Galatasaray because of what happened historically, I don't feel the need to send hate or abuse on the player if he does.

This all happened in the past before Alioski's time, it's not his fault. At the end of the day we don't know what offers he has on the table, it may well be his only one. It might even be more his agent than him.

The only thing I would say is we have personnel at our club, especially Liam Cooper and Kalvin Phillips who I'd like to think are making him aware of the situation and advising him in the right way how it progresses.

It certainly wouldn't make me hate him, I'd simply respect everything he has done for us and if that is where he goes, so be it. I hate the club with a passion and the moment he pulls on their shirt the allegiance is finished and he's just another player.

For me, it's no comparison to Harry Kewell who is dead to me. He was here when it all happened, he was well aware he shouldn't have gone there and he pissed everything good with us up the wall when he still went. Unforgivable in my eyes and he will never be welcome back in Leeds. Ever.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Stan said:

He probably deserves it for the season he has had. Defied a lot of pundits and fans of not only ourselves, but other clubs too.

I do wonder if this was also done given it emerged Liverpool were 'admirers'.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

20210521_111032.thumb.jpg.0e0b7b40cb92512468b5c4d9341be2ef.jpg

"Erm, hello... Mr Roy?... Why haven't our players ran at all".

I guess if this chart shows anything it shows that sprinting is overrated and in Leeds' case a potential injury waiting to happen

On 21/05/2021 at 08:15, Danny said:

I guess if this chart shows anything it shows that sprinting is overrated and in Leeds' case a potential injury waiting to happen

I think it's saying that without all that sprinting we probably would have been relegated.

9 minutes ago, Coma said:

I think it's saying that without all that sprinting we probably would have been relegated.

Considering the vast difference between your sprints vs the rest of the league, and your final league position, it still looks like you probably sprint more than is required before you start talking about injury prevention 

28 minutes ago, Danny said:

Considering the vast difference between your sprints vs the rest of the league, and your final league position, it still looks like you probably sprint more than is required before you start talking about injury prevention 

That's a fair comment.  I guess I'd say that the football this year was exhilarating and I'd have it no other way.  I can see how after multiple years of running that players might get a little sick of it, but winning cures all and we won 18 games.  I'm excited to see what happens next season as I do believe that we could potentially finish higher than 9th.

Leeds have become the club that Bielsa has spent the most time with and eventually the ideas will get stale and players will need a change, either in management or scenery.  I genuinely think that 2022 will be his last season in charge as he won't want things to turn stale.

Archived