• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leeds United Discussion

football forum

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Gary Monk reminds me of a young Alan Pardew. Looks and acts like the type of guy down your local who would be your best mate and then try and shag your missus behind your back. Not really keen on him coming Palace mainly for that reason.

That's got to be the biggest pile of shite I've ever read on any form of TFF. Congratulations. 

Big blow for Leeds.

I like Garry Monk, think he's a good manager and I'm almost certain that Leeds will not find anyone as good as him to come in and replace him.

I think he'll go to Palace.

I knew it was too much to ask for calmness after Radrizzani's takeover. Cellino goes and you think it's time to steady the ship. Nope. Can't go more than a couple days without this club hitting you with a flush uppercut.

And it always amazes me how quick a fanbase can turn on someone in a few hours on the basis of no idea of the true facts. Take this afternoon for example.

Leeds announce Monk has resigned.

Leeds fans go into meltdown and blame the Chairman.

Chairman blames Monk.

Media journalists report rumours on Monk's next club.

Leeds fans turn on Monk.

Monk issues statement.

Leeds fans highlight how better off they are without Monk by pointing out all his flaws.

I don't know the truth. I doubt many of us will find out the real version of events. But all I know is I'm not going to slag the guy off for going. Gave us as good a season as we've had for years and as a result, we've broken our season ticket sales for next season at this stage for the first time in a long time.

Instead, I put the blame on those above. Why was it left so late to offer him a new deal? Why was this not sorted earlier in the year? Why did we only offer him another year instead of 2 or 3? I don't think we truly went out of our way to show intent that we wanted him and quite rightly, he's looked at what else is going on around him at the moment and thought he could do better elsewhere. And he will because they are in a better position than us. We should have snapped him up early so it never became an issue.

He's not the first manager/player to do this to us and won't be the last and it can't always be the case that they are the snakes of the club whilst those above get away with murder. So good luck to him. It's a real kick in the balls but the club will go on because it always does. Whether we can improve on last season will be another story.

Completely agree with the above from @Lucas. I think that the poor run at the end of the season completely overshadowed the fact that I feel Monk did well for Leeds overall. Leeds fans I know never thought at the start of the season that they would challenge for the playoffs as they did. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

• The title was changed to Massimo Cellino Sells Leeds To Andrea Radrizzani; Monk Resigns - Pardew Linked
19 hours ago, Lucas said:

Fuck my life.

Given how it is such fine margins and The Championship and confidence having a Manager who can take Newcastle and Crystal Palace from the top six to the bottom six in a short period of time in The Premiership makes me think this appointment would be genius or a complete disaster. There's going to be no middle ground. Ive never seen a Manager that relies so much on player confidence.

18 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Given how it is such fine margins and The Championship and confidence having a Manager who can take Newcastle and Crystal Palace from the top six to the bottom six in a short period of time in The Premiership makes me think this appointment would be genius or a complete disaster. There's going to be no middle ground. Ive never seen a Manager that relies so much on player confidence.

I don't think Pardew has got the temperament to manage us. We have a very demanding set of fans and the expectations levels will have only risen after last season. I've seen nothing to suggest he can cope with that pressure. At Newcastle, he crumbled when the going got tough. I would genuinely rather have Warnock than Pardew and that's saying something.

He still took Newcastle to fifth and didn't resign when about 90% of others would have crumbled. He's thick skinned and egotistical enough to go to Leeds and stay there for as long as needs be. I just don't know if the competitiveness of The Championship suits him.

If your fans have developed unrealistic expectations to get back in to a league you haven't been a apart of since 2003 then that's a real sorry state of affairs.

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

I don't think Pardew has got the temperament to manage us. We have a very demanding set of fans and the expectations levels will have only risen after last season. I've seen nothing to suggest he can cope with that pressure. At Newcastle, he crumbled when the going got tough. I would genuinely rather have Warnock than Pardew and that's saying something.

I'm interested to read that. Surely the fans know they were 'punching' last season? My brother-in-law is a Leeds fan so I saw all the games that were shown on TV. He was obviously disappointed with how the season petered out, but they still exceeded all expectations he [and I] had of Leeds for last season.

9 minutes ago, Large said:

I'm interested to read that. Surely the fans know they were 'punching' last season? My brother-in-law is a Leeds fan so I saw all the games that were shown on TV. He was obviously disappointed with how the season petered out, but they still exceeded all expectations he [and I] had of Leeds for last season.

I totally agree, they did. And most sensible Leeds fans will agree also.

But I think because we've got so close that a large chunk of the fanbase will be expecting us to go one better now. We'd already sold more season tickets by the end of May than we had done since 2004 because expectancy levels have risen that we may be knocking on the door. When you read comments on Leeds based forums and Twitter, the amount of people that get a bit carried away is ridiculous.

And what worries me is that whilst we have an amazing vocal backing at home when the crowd are on it, when they aren't, it's a terrible atmosphere that can be quite detrimental to the players.

• The title was changed to Massimo Cellino Sells Leeds To Andrea Radrizzani; Monk Resigns - Thomas Christiansen Takesover
5 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

A Dane who played for the Spanish national team and managed in Cyprus.

You never know, they might have unearthed a gem, or they might have just set themselves up for a few more managers before Christmas

Big gamble. I hope it's not the latter.

• The title was changed to Leeds Subject to Thomas Christiansen Takeover

Firstly, thank god we've finally appointed someone. It was important to get this nailed down so we could make the most of pre season preparation.

Secondly, his name did not appear once amongst all the rumoured talk whilst we were searching for a manager (or should I say head coach) and he was supposedly the number one target of Radrizzani. I like this because it shows that for once under the new ownership of Andrea, we've conducted business 'in house' without anyone getting wind of it, which is very un-Leeds like.

Ok, so he's not necessarily the name I was expecting and obviously I am a little sceptical. The level of the league's in Cyprus obviously aren't the best. That said, he's had some really glowing references from people that know him. He tries to play Football the right way. He is good with the players. And he had a very impressive interview. Apparently he completed a thorough dossier on all members of the Leeds squad (admittedly, one word answers would have sufficed for some)

But to me, that shows how much he wants it. It's a huge move for him. Good luck to the lad. We live in an era now where foreign coaches are being preferred to English managers, particularly more so than ever in the Championship. There is scepticism that an unknown foreign coach cannot handle the rigours of Championship football but tell that to the David Wagner's, Slavisa Jokanovic's and Carlos Carvalhal's of the world.

The law of averages suggest we have to nail it sooner or later. Perhaps Thomas Christiansen is that man.

• The title was changed to Leeds Appoint Thomas Christensen After Monk Resigns
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Stadium acquired by the club. First time since 2004 they now own Elland Road.

Good news for the club and seem to be heading in the right direction?

• The title was changed to Leeds United Discussion

Archived