• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leeds United Discussion

football forum

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 14:39, The Palace Fan said:

@Lucas if Biesla doesnt join, who would you like to see Leeds go for?

Well I'm not looking past Bielsa at the moment because he is obviously the club's first choice and I think the fans want it too. 

I am a little bit sceptical that if he did join it could all fall flat on it's face as per usual with us but he would be one of the highest profile managers we've had here for a while.

And it would be very interesting to see the effects of his training methods and philosophy on our team and how we got us to play. Not only that but his reputation is worldwide which would not only help a higher quality player come to us but also I think teams managed by the likes of Pep, Poch etc would want to send their top youngsters here to get educated by a man like him which could only strengthen our hand.

The biggest thing I'd worry about is the language barrier and whether his ideas would be clearly communicated to our players. 

• Administrator

Looks like Bielsa will happen. What a coup for Leeds. @Lucas

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/13/leeds-marcelo-bielsa-head-coach

Leeds remain on course to appoint the former Argentina manager Marcelo Bielsa as the club’s new head coach.

Bielsa, 62, who has also had a spell in charge of Chile, has been Leeds’s top target since Paul Heckingbottom was sacked this month.

Talks between Leeds and Bielsa’s representatives in Buenos Aires have been taking place for several weeks and the former Athletic Bilbao, Marseille and Lille manager is keen to take on his first job in England.

Leeds fans have grown impatient over the apparent lack of progress in finding Heckingbottom’s successor, but there are no major obstacles remaining and an announcement is imminent.

Leeds outlined their plans to bring in an experienced manager to help launch a promotion push from the Championship when announcing Heckingbottom’s departure.

Bielsa fits the bill. He remains highly respected despite an acrimonious departure from his last job at Lille in December following a fall out with the French club.

He has had spells at Argentinian clubs Newell’s Old Boys and Vélez Sarsfield and a spell in charge of Espanyol was cut short when he was appointed Argentina’s head coach in 1998.

Argentina won the gold medal at the 2004 Olympics and were runners-up in the Copa América the same year under Bielsa, who spent seven years in the role.

Bielsa guided Chile to the 2010 World Cup, steered Athletic Bilbao to the Europa League final and Copa del Rey final in 2012, but he also fell out with the hierarchy at Marseille, where he resigned in 2015.

Former Argentina coach Marcelo Bielsa has signed a contract to become the new manager of Leeds United.

The club opened talks with Bielsa, 62, shortly after sacking Paul Heckingbottom on 1 June.

A signed contract has been emailed to the club and he is expected in Leeds next weekend before pre-season training begins.

Bielsa has previously managed clubs in his native Argentina, Spain, France, as well as Chile's national side.

I love Bielsa - but as a manager I think he's a bit past it. His last proper stint as a manager was at Bilbao and since then he hasn't done a whole lot. Still a great football philosopher thats left an amazing legacy in football but not quite the same manager he used to. 

Incredible!  El Loco in England... Leeds United! :o

Let the Leeds fans get ready for a mad roller coaster ride.... xD

He is not of the most studied intelligent people in the world of football. A true guru of the sport, but boy does he put his players through some real psychological exercise.

@El Profesor

8 hours ago, SirBalon said:

He is not of the most studied intelligent people in the world of football. A true guru of the sport, but boy does he put his players through some real psychological exercise.

@El Profesor

The question is will he be in charge for more than few months? I doubt he will, lets see

8 hours ago, SirBalon said:

@El Profesor

He had great moments at Athletic and OM, but it didn´t last long. At Lille, it was a disaster from the beginning. I don´t have much expectations, but hopefully he finds a way to do a great job at Leeds...  well, at least for 6 months or so. xD

11 hours ago, SirBalon said:

@El Profesor

Didn't Javi Martinez hurt himself trying to climb a fence to escape one of Biesla's video sessions? 

14 hours ago, SirBalon said:

He is not of the most studied intelligent people in the world of football. A true guru of the sport, but boy does he put his players through some real psychological exercise.

@El Profesor

I'm quoting my own post because when I re-read it, I noticed a grave error which isn't what I wanted to write and one word changed the meaning of the whole sentence!  The word I've highlighted in red was actually meant to say one and not not.

It changes quite a bit if I say; "He is one of the most studied intelligent people in the world of football"

Anyway... That's cleared up!

5 hours ago, El Profesor said:

He had great moments at Athletic and OM, but it didn´t last long. At Lille, it was a disaster from the beginning. I don´t have much expectations, but hopefully he finds a way to do a great job at Leeds...  well, at least for 6 months or so. xD

He should've been one of the greatest coaches of all time.  His understanding of the game is second to none and very few existing people understand the game better.  He is revered by some of the most prominent coaches in the game today and seen as a guru, although a crazy one.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Didn't Javi Martinez hurt himself trying to climb a fence to escape one of Biesla's video sessions? 

Yeah... Some of the anecdotes I've heard from various members of the Athletic team when he was there are hilarious.  The one with Javi Martínez jumping a tal fence, ripping his clothes, leaving his ruck sack in mid flight because he heard the guard dogs barking and then getting caught by security at the other side of the fence... All this at 1 am when they were going through a 30 minute video that was on its fifth hour...  Bielsa kept on interrupting every 5 minutes to talk for 40 minutes on the five minutes they'd just seen.  xD

Marcelo Bielsa has always been to me an Argentinian version of Brian Clough.

22 hours ago, Blue said:

I love Bielsa - but as a manager I think he's a bit past it. His last proper stint as a manager was at Bilbao and since then he hasn't done a whole lot. Still a great football philosopher thats left an amazing legacy in football but not quite the same manager he used to. 

But... would you say he's finished?

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 16:38, SirBalon said:

Marcelo Bielsa has always been to me an Argentinian version of Brian Clough.

High profile failure and sacking at Leeds in a short amount of time incoming then?

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

High profile failure and sacking at Leeds in a short amount of time incoming then?

The requirements needed for Leeds don't suit anything that Marcelo Bielsa is about. I really can't see how he's going to benefit Leeds United at this given time.  But it will be great to see him finally in the English game.

Just now, SirBalon said:

The requirements needed for Leeds don't suit anything that Marcelo Bielsa is about. I really can't see how he's going to benefit Leeds United at this given time.  But it will be great to see him finally in the English game.

I think having a manager of his pedigree in the Championship is a big thing for Leeds tbh.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think having a manager of his pedigree in the Championship is a big thing for Leeds tbh.

Of course it is mate... If I were a Leeds fan I'd be ecstatic about the whole situation. But he really doesn't fit in that sort of scenario... He's more of a football philosopher than anything.  A person you listen too because he knows it all and understands the game to perfection. The problem is that players can only take so much of him because he's a football extremist.

• The title was changed to The WTF is Bielsa doing in Leeds? Discussion
  • 1 month later...

Leeds-United-news-Marcelo-Bielsa-968334.

MARCELO BIELSA reportedly made his Leeds United players collect litter from the club’s training ground for THREE hours.

The Guardian claims new boss Bielsa insisted his stars put in the tough slog to learn how hard fans work in order to buy tickets and merchandise – essentially paying their wages.

Bielsa is known for his radical approach to management and big things are expected of him following spells with Argentina, Chile and Athletic Bilbao.

Bielsa claims he is lucky to have been approached by a club of Leeds’ stature, and admits he wants to win promotion to the Premier League playing a unique style of attractive football.

Speaking ahead of Sunday’s season opener at home to Stoke, Bielsa said: "I think I’m at a club that’s bigger than I deserve.

"My goal is to show I deserve this opportunity but also that I’m not a demagogue.

"Our idea is to play in the opponent’s half and that means we will dominate the opponent.

"We try to link the three lines of our team without playing any long balls.

I prefer players who have creativity. I accept the risk you take when you try to build from the back. I wouldn’t criticise a team who play long balls, who speculate, who wait before attacking.

But mine is the philosophy I can transmit and it was to be deeply rooted in respect for the rules. I consider the rules as protection for creative football.

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino reveals how he sees new Leeds United manager Marcelo Bielsa as a second father

"My style’s not better or worse than any other. It’s the one I believe in.

"Footballers are a blend of three things; heart, mind and legs. You cannot convince them unless you truly believe what you say. I hope my work with Leeds will be full of emotions.

Marcelo "El Loco" Bielsa already showing some of his unusual methods in English football! xD

Good for him. While I'm not sure that approach will work, I think one of the central ideas is that the players have more appreciation for what they have and the game they are blessed to play. 

After 1 game, I would say that it definitely started off right. 

• Administrator

Reminds me of when Martin Allen had our players cleaning toilets as a way of getting them to appreciate the finer things of like and doing the dirtier jobs etc.

He was sacked shortly after. Bielsa is nowhere near the manager Mad Dog was so can only see this ending one way. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Whilst they looked very impressive yesterday, I can only see this ending one way. When successful foreign managers like Felix Magath have implemented unorthodox methods it's had horrendous results.

didn't Magath have something to do with making players eat a lot of cheese as part of fitness regime or was I dreaming that xD 

• The title was changed to Leeds United Discussion

Archived