• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leeds United Discussion

football forum

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Stan said:

didn't Magath have something to do with making players eat a lot of cheese as part of fitness regime or was I dreaming that xD 

Yes. He also made them stand still for ninety minutes as he walked off. He did this after a shite performance on the weekend, saying they liked standing still doing nothing on Saturday so he thought he would let them do it again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Leeds United Discussion
  • 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Former Leeds player Phil Masigna dies, only aged 49.

Former South Africa and Leeds United striker Phil Masinga has died aged 49.

Masinga played at Leeds between 1994 and 1996 and also had spells at St Gallen in Switzerland and Italian clubs Salernitana and Bari.

"Sad day for South African football," said South Africa Football Association president Danny Jordaan. "He was a loyal servant of the game, on and off the field of play."

No further details have been released about his death.

Masinga made his debut for South Africa in July 1992 against Cameroon in his country's first match following readmission to international football by Fifa after the end of Apartheid.

He will best be remembered for his goal against Congo, which ensured South Africa qualified for their first World Cup appearance in 1998.

Masinga was also a member of the victorious 1996 Africa Cup of Nations squad.

The former forward made 31 league appearances for Leeds, scoring five goals.

"It is with great sadness that the club has learnt of former striker Phil Masinga's passing," said a statement from the Elland Road club.

"The thoughts of everyone at LUFC are with his family and friends."

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, AMG said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KIQuo2tBMQ

I dont like how Bielsa keeps his head down pretty much throughout the interview. That looks like a man under a tremendous amount of pressure.

Maybe he should have done a Farke , and kept the expectations low.

https://talkfootball365.com/topic/7007-daniel-farke-promotion-not-realistic/

When we beat Rotherham away last week, he had a lovely warm embrace with his assistance, a long hug that for him, was a release of emotion.

You have to remember, he's a humble man, he's not someone that craves the spotlight. All this 'spygate' palava has been blown out of proportion and has seen his methods and the team's performance scrutinised when he feels he's done nothing wrong.

The pressure of coaching a club like Leeds is huge, but even more so given he's put us into a genuine shot of promotion.

I do feel like he's feeling it and I think last night hurt him as much as it did our fans because we just didnt show up. He took full responsibility for the line up and tactics and given he takes such pride in doing his homework pre match, he'll be dissapointed in himself being beaten as bad as we were.

But he'll be ok. Lots of Football to be played yet.

Doubt he'd leave, he's by all accounts happy in Yorkshire (though I suppose he wouldn't have to move) and has Leeds on the verge of promotion, even if they are wobbling a little. He can take Leeds up, establish them back in the Premiership and have a similar chance of pushing on for Europe within a year or two if he gets the support. Everton are a mess and trending downwards.

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/02/2019 at 22:14, Lucas said:

When we beat Rotherham away last week, he had a lovely warm embrace with his assistance, a long hug that for him, was a release of emotion.

You have to remember, he's a humble man, he's not someone that craves the spotlight. All this 'spygate' palava has been blown out of proportion and has seen his methods and the team's performance scrutinised when he feels he's done nothing wrong.

The pressure of coaching a club like Leeds is huge, but even more so given he's put us into a genuine shot of promotion.

I do feel like he's feeling it and I think last night hurt him as much as it did our fans because we just didnt show up. He took full responsibility for the line up and tactics and given he takes such pride in doing his homework pre match, he'll be dissapointed in himself being beaten as bad as we were.

But he'll be ok. Lots of Football to be played yet.

Do you think he will be sacked if he fails to get promotion directly or through the play offs?

1 hour ago, True Blue said:

Do you think he will be sacked if he fails to get promotion directly or through the play offs?

No way. We could finish 7th and it would make no odds. Man's been an absolute revelation for the club. Everyone worships him like a god for what he has installed at the club.

You have to remember he's got us where we are using practically the same squad as last year, had the worst year for injuries we've ever had, and relied on unproven kids to step up and help. For us to be in this position with no massive spending outlay is a bonus. 

Only way he leaves is if he walks or a more appealling attraction comes his way.

14 hours ago, Lucas said:

No way. We could finish 7th and it would make no odds. Man's been an absolute revelation for the club. Everyone worships him like a god for what he has installed at the club.

You have to remember he's got us where we are using practically the same squad as last year, had the worst year for injuries we've ever had, and relied on unproven kids to step up and help. For us to be in this position with no massive spending outlay is a bonus. 

Only way he leaves is if he walks or a more appealling attraction comes his way.

He isn't famous for sticking around for long

3 hours ago, True Blue said:

He isn't famous for sticking around for long

I don't think we are naive enough to think if we don't go up there's a 50/50 chance he goes. It's all on him really.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

129400236_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.412c13b454d2ab8823ebae997c5b1c99.png

Patrick Bamford: Leeds striker banned for two games for deceiving referee

Leeds striker Patrick Bamford has been banned for two matches by the Football Association after being found guilty of "successful deception of a match official" in the draw with Aston Villa.

Bamford went down as though he had been hit by Villa's Anwar El Ghazi after the home side's controversial opening goal.

El Ghazi was sent off but had the red card rescinded on Tuesday.

Bamford will miss Sunday's Championship trip to Ipswich and the first leg of Leeds' play-off semi-final tie.

Leeds said in a statement that although the 25-year-old did not deny the charge they had requested a hearing to "contest the penalty imposed on the player".

They added: "The club felt that given the circumstances surrounding the incident, including the extraordinary act of sportsmanship which saw our head coach Marcelo Bielsa demand our team to allow Aston Villa to score an uncontested equaliser, we could have a sensible discussion around the sanction.

"We acknowledge that the FA panel did not feel that to be reasonable and the club, therefore, joins Patrick in accepting the two-match ban."

The melee, in which the Bamford incident occurred, was sparked after Mateusz Klich scored for Leeds with Villa players appealing for the ball to be played out after Jonathan Kodjia had gone down injured in the centre circle.

After clashes between the players and exchange between the two benches, Leeds boss Bielsa ordered his team to allow Villa to walk in an equaliser from kick-off, which was scored by winger Albert Adomah. Sunday's game finished 1-1.

On Tuesday both clubs were charged with failing to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion in the aftermath of Leeds' goal. They have until 18:00 BST on Friday to respond to their respective charges.

The point for Leeds meant that Yorkshire rivals Sheffield United were promoted to the Premier League and they will now feature alongside Villa in the playoffs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48140118

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 02:45, Lucas said:

I don't think we are naive enough to think if we don't go up there's a 50/50 chance he goes. It's all on him really.

I really fucking hope he takes you back up. I have missed you being in the league ever since the season you were relegated, I remember looking at the fixture list and looking for Leeds and then remembering "aw fuck, oh well they'll be back next year." I didn't really understand how badly the financial situation had fucked your club at all. Honestly, for as shit about football as I have felt over the years... I can't imagine what it's been like for a Leeds fan. It has been far too fucking long, Leeds are a proper massive club and I can't wait for you to be back in the top flight where you belong.

And with Bielsa would just be an extra cherry on top. Would greatly improve the league imo.

So I really fucking hope you finally go back up. It's #3 of the things I want to happen in the short time remaining this season... but it might be the most likely to occur. So pleeeeease football gods, stop being cunts and bring Leeds back up here. Also help us win the league and get passed Barca. Pleeeease

20 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I really fucking hope he takes you back up. I have missed you being in the league ever since the season you were relegated, I remember looking at the fixture list and looking for Leeds and then remembering "aw fuck, oh well they'll be back next year." I didn't really understand how badly the financial situation had fucked your club at all. Honestly, for as shit about football as I have felt over the years... I can't imagine what it's been like for a Leeds fan. It has been far too fucking long, Leeds are a proper massive club and I can't wait for you to be back in the top flight where you belong.

And with Bielsa would just be an extra cherry on top. Would greatly improve the league imo.

So I really fucking hope you finally go back up. It's #3 of the things I want to happen in the short time remaining this season... but it might be the most likely to occur. So pleeeeease football gods, stop being cunts and bring Leeds back up here. Also help us win the league and get passed Barca. Pleeeease

I appreciate the love brother. It's nice to hear something complimentary about your team when many others slag us so much because 'We're Leeds'.

We're the first team to not finish top 2 since being top at Xmas in over a decade. We've had 4 playoff campaigns and lost them all. We own the perennial bottlers tag. Naturally, I'm pessimistic.

But who knows. Maybe, just maybe, it will happen. It would complete the most amazing rollercoaster of a season for us. An incredible end to an amazing story.

I know Norwich and Sheff Utd went up and fair play to them. But this season Bielsa has stolen the show. All the media coverage, headlines, gossip, whatever people are talking about in this league, it's been all Leeds but more specifically, Marcelo Bielsa. I know other clubs are jealous of the attention we receive, they always have been, but that's not our fault. 

Bielsa has transformed the club. We have fans packing out games to see the Under 21's in action because of his influences on the youngsters. He walks to the training ground everyday, he lives in a peaceful village in a basic flat, nothing flashy. He's incredibly grounded. He even paid some of the clubs fines and the spygate fine because in his eyes, it's his responsibility if we fall out of line. This man is another level.

We are desperate for this. We want it more than anyone because of where we were and where we fell from, and that's what hurts. It's an obsession.

The fans back this team to the hilt over many seasons outside the top flight and whether it's a fair thing to say or not, I believe we fucking deserve something good to happen now. Especially this year.

We have had so much bad luck with injuries and players missing and yet we've carried on with youngsters filling in. We have dominated over 90% of matches with possession and chances and not won games. Sometimes, you just couldn't make it up. And yet Bielsa has taken it all in his stride, remained magnanimous and dignified throughout.

I hope he, more than anyone, get's the justice he deserves for giving us a season we'll never, ever forget.

Archived