• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

E-book Readers

football forum

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

My only experience is with the Kindle. I've got a Kindle Paperwhite and it's good. Never really had any issues with it and it's super easy to download books onto it etc. 

This.

They last forever, easy to use, and the backlight is so nice when reading in bed.

My only issue is that they still don't have an USB-C charger so it takes longer than it should.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Pyfish said:

My only experience is with the Kindle. I've got a Kindle Paperwhite and it's good. Never really had any issues with it and it's super easy to download books onto it etc. 

Does it have Audible support too, by any chance? I love reading, but audiobooks are sometimes a better option, especially when working or on a long trip. 

Also, I've been using my smartphone to read ebooks for years, and found that with a good reading app, the screen backlight doesn't really strain my eyes. I was wondering, what's the actual difference between the LCD display and e-ink? Would you say there's a significant difference in how it feels? 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

This.

They last forever, easy to use, and the backlight is so nice when reading in bed.

My only issue is that they still don't have an USB-C charger so it takes longer than it should.

Same questions as above... 

Also, how long does the battery last, on average? 

• Subscriber

@nudge The battery on my Kindle lasts for weeks and that's with me reading a chapter or two every night. As for the e-ink screen, it feels a lot more authentic as in you are actually reading a real book. I don't have the one with the backlight but I've got a little clip on light that works perfectly without straining the eyes at all.

• Subscriber

Echo what everyone is saying about the Kindle. It just works, no fuss, no nothing. I prefer taking it on trips when I want to read vs my iPad which will eventually die out and need a battery while the Kindle just keeps on kicking.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Haha, actually prefer buying when it comes to books; as an avid reader from an early age, I am grateful and respect the authors a lot. However, I have no qualms about downloading an ebook if I already bought and owned the physical copy of it. I gave away well over a thousand of books when I moved, there was no other way of keeping them in my library but the downloaded e-versions; those came mostly in epub. My academic collection from the uni is also in epub, and the local 3rd party ebook stores that I buy from these days also offer mostly epubs. Not sure I am willing to move to an ecosystem that doesn't support it without converting.

TLDR: ordered a Pocketbook Touch HD 3 already :P

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, nudge said:

Haha, actually prefer buying when it comes to books; as an avid reader from an early age, I am grateful and respect the authors a lot. However, I have no qualms about downloading an ebook if I already bought and owned the physical copy of it. I gave away well over a thousand of books when I moved, there was no other way of keeping them in my library but the downloaded e-versions; those came mostly in epub. My academic collection from the uni is also in epub, and the local 3rd party ebook stores that I buy from these days also offer mostly epubs. Not sure I am willing to move to an ecosystem that doesn't support it without converting.

TLDR: ordered a Pocketbook Touch HD 3 already :P

Only joking of course. I'd imagine conversions arent that much of a pain honestly but then again its all about ease of loading and just using which is paramount here if the library is big.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Subscriber

Been looking into the new Pocketbook Inkpad Colour, but it seems that the colour e-ink technology still is a bit lacking... 100ppi for colour compared to 300ppi for b&w, slow page turn, and the screen size of 7.8" is still too small for comics/graphic novels...

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Been looking into the new Pocketbook Inkpad Colour, but it seems that the colour e-ink technology still is a bit lacking... 100ppi for colour compared to 300ppi for b&w, slow page turn, and the screen size of 7.8" is still too small for comics/graphic novels...

Never heard of this type of e-reader, but looking into it, where do you buy them? I clicked on their website as to local sellers, and no cities appear, and can't find anything online.

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Eco said:

Never heard of this type of e-reader, but looking into it, where do you buy them? I clicked on their website as to local sellers, and no cities appear, and can't find anything online.

It's a Swiss company, so maybe only available in Europe? https://pocketbook.de/

EDIT: just checked it, and it appears that in the US; they are sold by a company named Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=pocketbook

I got mine last year (Touch HD 3), and I love it. 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

It's a Swiss company, so maybe only available in Europe? https://pocketbook.de/

EDIT: just checked it, and it appears that in the US; they are sold by a company named Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=pocketbook 

I got mine last year (Touch HD 3), and I love it. 

Cheers -

I have a Kindle Paperwhite, but find it hard to read sometimes on anything other than a book.

• Subscriber
Just now, Eco said:

Cheers -

I have a Kindle Paperwhite, but find it hard to read sometimes on anything other than a book.

I needed an open system, so Kindle was a no go for me... Glad I went for Pocketbook, it exceeded my expectations.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

I needed an open system, so Kindle was a no go for me... Glad I went for Pocketbook, it exceeded my expectations.

Yeah - we have discussed this in the past. You use a lot of pdf's right?

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yeah - we have discussed this in the past. You use a lot of pdf's right?

Nope, epubs. PDFs look decent on it, but still not good enough. 

On 25/06/2021 at 23:06, nudge said:

Archived