Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

England vs Republic of Ireland - Thursday 12th November, 2020

Kick-off 20.00

Live on ITV

Venue - Wembley

Snorefest 0-0 draw, maybe one deflected goal in the end

Something about the game being pointless and should never have happened, something about Southgate getting the sack, something about how crap International football is, something about how crap the team selection is. 

Think that’s all bases covered. 

7 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Something about the game being pointless and should never have happened, something about Southgate getting the sack, something about how crap International football is, something about how crap the team selection is. 

Think that’s all bases covered. 

But will still watch it and moan after FT about how pointless it was, should never have happened, Southgate is shit, international football is shit and team selection should have been different :D 

5 hours ago, Cicero said:

Would you take Wenger?

As the England manager? 100%

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

As the England manager? 100%

It would be quite interesting. You could imagine a more progressive approach with the abundance of attacking talent vs what you see now. Maybe Sterling just behind Kane with two holding midfielders.

Kane

Rashford------Sterling-----Sancho

Rice---Henderson

Chilwell---CB----Gomez----TAA

GK

18 hours ago, Cicero said:

Would you take Wenger?

I think I would, actually. He offers something that we don’t already have. Look at what we’ve got, it’s hardly the most inspiring. Maybe he’ll get the punditry job for the Euros next summer because we’ve got some real idiots doing it now. 

Edited by Smiley Culture

Might just put the goal alerts on for this one...

Like that England side. I would have possibly put Bellingham on from the start but aside from that, I like that team. 

put money on rice scoring his first for ireland

Of course Grealish is going to score tonight 

Ideal result is Ireland win emphatically, Kenny gets his first win. England sack Southgate, bring in a manager good enough to manage the talent coming through

2-0. Sancho. Somehow finds a gap for his shot to squeeze through past couple of defenders & Randolph.

England should only allowed to be able to have Grealish if Ireland can take back his calves. That’s a fair trade

29 minutes ago, Danny said:

Of course Grealish is going to score tonight 

Ideal result is Ireland win emphatically, Kenny gets his first win. England sack Southgate, bring in a manager good enough to manage the talent coming through

I’m baffled that there’s an ever growing group of mouth breathers actually wanting Southgate sacked based off of a draw and a loss to Denmark and not picking Grealish. 

Just now, Smiley Culture said:

I’m baffled that there’s an ever growing group of mouth breathers actually wanting Southgate sacked based off of a draw and a loss to Denmark. 

Tbh I just think Southgate’s a fairly limited manager and the England performances since the World Cup have shown that, no progression. Though I don’t think his jobs in danger

Dont think he’s done badly mind, and I’ll happily be proven wrong by him but I just think we’ve hit a crossroads where he can’t really do much more with us

You’d think supporting England and Ireland then this game would be win-win, unless it’s a draw. In fact it’s lose-lose and if there’s a draw it’s a double loss

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Tbh I just think Southgate’s a fairly limited manager and the England performances since the World Cup have shown that, no progression. Though I don’t think his jobs in danger

Dont think he’s done badly mind, and I’ll happily be proven wrong by him but I just think we’ve hit a crossroads where he can’t really do much more with us

“No progression” is an absolute bizarre shout. A draw in Croatia and a win in Spain, a late win against Croatia coming from behind, thirty seven goals in qualification for the Euros with just six conceded.

The only real disappointment was the collapse against Holland in the Nations League. 

What are England wearing ?

The archetypal big club v little club friendly, this. England not needing to get out of second gear but clearly have a few more gears to go up, though they’ll not be needed against an Ireland side who are a much lower quality. 

8 minutes ago, Azeem said:

What are England wearing ?

I actually like our Blue kit. 

Average game really. Ireland are just shit.

7 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

The archetypal big club v little club friendly, this. England not needing to get out of second gear but clearly have a few more gears to go up, though they’ll not be needed against an Ireland side who are a much lower quality. 

England hasn't beaten Ireland since 1980s though

18 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

“No progression” is an absolute bizarre shout. A draw in Croatia and a win in Spain, a late win against Croatia coming from behind, thirty seven goals in qualification for the Euros with just six conceded.

The only real disappointment was the collapse against Holland in the Nations League. 

Croatia lost 6-0 to Spain, lost to Hungary, lost to Tunisia, drew with Azerbaijan. They have suffered massively since the World Cup. So that’s not really a big celebration within the context of Croatia’s form. Yeah Spain was a good result, but then we fell apart after that.

Weve rarely had any great performances, performances that show real progress. If what we’ve seen so far is what we’re going to get England won’t come close to winning under Southgate imo, but I’m again I’m happy to be proven wrong by him.

25 minutes ago, Azeem said:

How many times have we played them since? Is that one of those “Club A haven't won at Club B since 1956” type quotes despite having played them four times since?

15 minutes ago, Danny said:

Croatia lost 6-0 to Spain, lost to Hungary, lost to Tunisia, drew with Azerbaijan. They have suffered massively since the World Cup. So that’s not really a big celebration within the context of Croatia’s form. Yeah Spain was a good result, but then we fell apart after that.

Weve rarely had any great performances, performances that show real progress. If what we’ve seen so far is what we’re going to get England won’t come close to winning under Southgate imo, but I’m again I’m happy to be proven wrong by him.

Fell apart?! We played the qualifiers and you can’t really take much from them due to the disparity between us and everyone else in our groups normally, even the second best nation we’re invariably comfortably better than. It’s not as though we’re drawing Germany in qualification, as we did in the early 00’s.

The last Nations League group stage was as good as England have played. The win in Spain was a tactical masterclass, the defeat to Spain was not a bad performance, the draw in Croatia and late win against them were good results so soon after the World Cup was more than positive.

You’re not going to get “great” performances against nations because the deadheads just then shrug and go “yeah, you were supposed to beat Bulgaria, that’s nothing special” as I’m sure you would have done, however, a 6-0 win in Bulgaria given the context of what was happening in the stand was a great performance, even if it should have been abandoned (but that’s another discussion). What progress are you going to show against Bulgaria or Montenegro that the “modern fan” is going to accept? Probably nothing. 

I think Southgate is suffering from the FIFA generation and social media idiots making crap digs at him based off opinions from teenagers and kids who think they’re a cross between Pep and Klopp. It’s also the cool thing to do to dislike England unless they’re playing in the Euros or World Cup and those people will find faults in absolutely everything. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

This has actually been decent, like the look of this squad. 

1 hour ago, Azeem said:

Manchester united haven't beaten Scunthorpe since 2010

1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Manchester united haven't beaten Sculthorpe since 2010

Paul Sculthorpe?

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Manchester united haven't beaten Sculthorpe since 2010

They've played fair amount of times 7-8 for international football standards