talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England vs Republic of Ireland - Thursday 12th November, 2020

football forum

25 minutes ago, Azeem said:

England hasn't beaten Ireland since 1980s though

How many times have we played them since? Is that one of those “Club A haven't won at Club B since 1956” type quotes despite having played them four times since?

15 minutes ago, Danny said:

Croatia lost 6-0 to Spain, lost to Hungary, lost to Tunisia, drew with Azerbaijan. They have suffered massively since the World Cup. So that’s not really a big celebration within the context of Croatia’s form. Yeah Spain was a good result, but then we fell apart after that.

Weve rarely had any great performances, performances that show real progress. If what we’ve seen so far is what we’re going to get England won’t come close to winning under Southgate imo, but I’m again I’m happy to be proven wrong by him.

Fell apart?! We played the qualifiers and you can’t really take much from them due to the disparity between us and everyone else in our groups normally, even the second best nation we’re invariably comfortably better than. It’s not as though we’re drawing Germany in qualification, as we did in the early 00’s.

The last Nations League group stage was as good as England have played. The win in Spain was a tactical masterclass, the defeat to Spain was not a bad performance, the draw in Croatia and late win against them were good results so soon after the World Cup was more than positive.

You’re not going to get “great” performances against nations because the deadheads just then shrug and go “yeah, you were supposed to beat Bulgaria, that’s nothing special” as I’m sure you would have done, however, a 6-0 win in Bulgaria given the context of what was happening in the stand was a great performance, even if it should have been abandoned (but that’s another discussion). What progress are you going to show against Bulgaria or Montenegro that the “modern fan” is going to accept? Probably nothing. 

I think Southgate is suffering from the FIFA generation and social media idiots making crap digs at him based off opinions from teenagers and kids who think they’re a cross between Pep and Klopp. It’s also the cool thing to do to dislike England unless they’re playing in the Euros or World Cup and those people will find faults in absolutely everything. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Nobody gonna comment on the dive to win that penalty?

Or do we think he’s not done anything wrong and he’s just been clever?

Because I think that’s not a pen, honestly.

Don't remember there being any questions over it 

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Nobody gonna comment on the dive to win that penalty?

Or do we think he’s not done anything wrong and he’s just been clever?

Because I think that’s not a pen, honestly.

Saka's right foot gets kicked as he runs past Christie?

Hardly a dive.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived