talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gabriel Jesus - Underrated?

I was surprised last season when some on here said they didn't rate the young striker, the way he made that goal against Liverpool was world class. HB

In pure goals to games ratio, Jesus is returning just under one goal every two appearances since the start of last season, and when assists are included, he plays a direct role in a goal every 1.4 games. In terms of minutes played, Jesus scores or assists every 86 minutes on the pitch since August 2019. Aguero's record in the same time is only slightly better at a goal or assist every 81 minutes.

Jesus' 14 assists are just as impressive as his 26 goals in those 56 appearances, and account for just under half of his total assists for City - the first half were accumulated in 100 appearances.

he made his return off the bench and scored the type of goal Sergio Aguero has made his trademark: a burst of pace to make space, and a thunderous shot from a tight angle into the roof of the net. Five days later, and he channelled his inner-Denis Bergkamp with a world-class turn and finish to earn a point against Liverpool.

In three appearances, Jesus has shown he is ready to take on the responsibility of Aguero when the club legend eventually leaves City. His rapid improvement over the last 12 months 

• The title was changed to Gabriel Jesus - Underrated?
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, Rick said:

He’s good, not doubting that, but if I were City I wouldn’t be hanging my hat on him once Aguero leaves. They need a top striker in there. 

I agree with this. I feel like his ceiling is lower than Aguero's and won't reach the heights Aguero has.

Aguero is one of the most prolific strikers in the past decade so will take some effort to get to his standards. 

Saying the goal was Bergkamp-esque was a bit of a stretch xD. It was a fortunate touch at best from Jesus.

• Subscriber

The thing with Aguero and Jesus is that they both challenge each other to play better so they keep their place. Aguero is going to be #1 choice over Jesus for as long as he stays there but Jesus is a reliable backup who clearly produces when given his chance. As for Jesus slipping into Aguero's role when Aguero leaves, I don't think he's the right man at all. Without somebody breathing down his neck, I can't see Jesus putting in the performances week in week out that would be deserving of being the main man.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Saying the goal was Bergkamp-esque was a bit of a stretch xD. It was a fortunate touch at best from Jesus.

I've seen him do that in training, he definitely meant to do that or he wouldn't have any idea where the ball was if it just pinged off him ..I still think we need a direct replacement when Aguero leaves, Jesus is a different type of player, we have no muscle upfront without Aguero who can hold the ball up, we need that kid from PSG this summer

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

I've seen him do that in training, he definitely meant to do that or he wouldn't have any idea where the ball was if it just pinged off him ..I still think we need a direct replacement when Aguero leaves, Jesus is a different type of player, we have no muscle upfront without Aguero who can hold the ball up, we need that kid from PSG this summer

Choupo-Moting went to Bayern mate. 

• Subscriber

The real question doesn't revolve around Jesus but how the rest of the team are going to contribute to goals and assists. I dont think City need a world-class striker if the rest of the midfield chips in and we won't see the astronomical numbers Aguero has put in over the years because they dont setup that way anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

He would be a good fit for you  ..he should sign for us though :D  ..i think the fee will be over 100million and might get a bit silly if a number of clubs are in for him

He has already said he wants to sign for Liverpool. 

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

He has already said he wants to sign for Liverpool. 

Just checked, the fee would be over 200million this summer and he's also said he would like to play for Real Madrid & City too so... who ever pays him the most wages then :rofl:

I don't think he's underrated at all. Equally, I wouldn't put him in the top bracket of strikers either.

I think there is a big question mark regarding how clinical he is from the chances he get's, which is especially highlighted playing for a club that aims to win it all.

I also worry that for a young player, he's accumulated a lot of injuries to date. He seems to struggle to go through a season without a bad injury.

However, I do think he's one of the most versatile forwards in the league and has learnt a great deal since he's come over here.

Very comfortable across the front three, deceptively strong, can hold the ball up and bring others into play and has pace.

More importantly, he's two footed and has great aerial ability for someone who is far from a giant. 

If he can put a couple of seasons together where he plays the majority of the campaign, I think we'd see him improve further.

3 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

That don't matter if we offer a lot more money, PSG who is indirectly owned by Mansour will sell to us ;)

You can have him. I'd rather we buy and coach players (we have the best manager in the world at that) than just throw money at them.

You're welcome to him.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I also said that I want to sign for Liverpool.

As I've said above, I'm totally fine with clubs throwing stupid money at players, they're welcome to out-do their rivals.

Klopp is head and shoulders above Pep when it comes to improving players, so I'm cool with us buying someone cheaper and developing them.

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

As I've said above, I'm totally fine with clubs throwing stupid money at players, they're welcome to out-do their rivals.

Klopp is head and shoulders above Pep when it comes to improving players, so I'm cool with us buying someone cheaper and developing them.

Well I wouldn't say that... Fabian Delph looked elite at a leftback for City a bit ago. I've always reckoned Guardiola is more demanding tactically, technically, and physically than Klopp; and also makes a lot bolder decisions that often back fire. Guardiola is also the manager that brought up Busquets, Pedro, Pique, and elevated Xavi and Iniesta into the next dimension. At Bayern, Muller, Robben, Lahm, and Ribery also played some amazing games. I think that is just a silly, sweeping statement that can be easily disproven with examples from both manager's careers.

Not really a criticism of either manager, just different approaches.

17 minutes ago, Spike said:

Well I wouldn't say that... Fabian Delph looked elite at a leftback for City a bit ago. I've always reckoned Guardiola is more demanding tactically, technically, and physically than Klopp; and also makes a lot bolder decisions that often back fire. Guardiola is also the manager that brought up Busquets, Pedro, Pique, and elevated Xavi and Iniesta into the next dimension. At Bayern, Muller, Robben, Lahm, and Ribery also played some amazing games. I think that is just a silly, sweeping statement that can be easily disproven with examples from both manager's careers.

Not really a criticism of either manager, just different approaches.

Klopp has owned Pep in both leagues they have confronted each other. One has had all the money and all the best players, the other has had to build.

I know who id rather have.

• Subscriber

I'm spoilt because I watch the best striker in the league every week but Jesus just doesn't cut it as a top top striker like Aguero. He's just not clinical enough for me. Although I appreciate his workrate and all round game is probably better than Aguero's he just not at the same level and there's a drop off. Would much rather be up against a City team with him in than Sergio.

In terms of best strikers in the league, I don't think Jesus is as good as Kane, Aguero, Vardy, Aubameyang (although question marks this season)

He's probably in that second tier - still a good player, but I think City need a world class goalscorer 

5 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

I wouldn't say that, look at what Pep has done for Sterling, De Bruyne, Foden, Jesus to name a few, they have all vastly improved under him

Archived