Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Newcastle 0-2 Chelsea - Saturday 21st November, 2020

Kick-off 12.30pm (GMT)

Live on BT Sport

image.png      VS     1200px-Chelsea_FC.svg.png

Head to Head Record
Newcastle - 54
Draws - 40
Chelsea - 72

Last Meeting
18/01/2020 - Newcastle 1-0 Chelsea

44 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

What tactics can we expect from Newcastle in this one then @Steve Bruce Almighty??

Wilson is out so Andy Carroll will be there to smash your two centre halves Terry and Desailly.

Expect a few extra pegs in the side netting in case Bruce opts for Joelinton instead.

Havertz, Pulisic, and Silva out for us. Will probably be something like this. 

Mendy

James--Rudiger--Zouma--Chilwell

Kante

Kovacic----Mount

Ziyech--------------------------Werner

Tammy

I cannot wait for football to return. The last two weeks have been utterly pointless.

Looking forward to see how Ziyech links with Werner against a more resolute defence. 

Silva out is always a worry but I'd be more worried if Mendy was out. 

17 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I cannot wait for football to return. The last two weeks have been utterly pointless.

Looking forward to see how Ziyech links with Werner against a more resolute defence. 

We've lost 3-0 and 4-1 in the first 4 home games this season. The most peppered goal in the league. :ph34r:

We'll probably win because Chelsea are due a defeat :whistling:

Though I think Bruce will play for a draw just so when we look at the league table the W D and L all say 3. That sort of thing is about as cool as it gets around here these days.

@Steve Bruce Almighty this is like watching the final few minutes of a world cup final where one team is 1 down and throwing everybody forward. Newcastle  are ridiculously defensive. 72% possession for Chelsea away from home.

Dominate. Need to come in the second half and put these chances away. 

Werner has been  Morata all day and then does that: xD

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

@Steve Bruce Almighty it seems to me that Newcastle  just rely on the other team missing chances and then have a go at the end of the game 

That has happened twice before this season but I genuinely don't think that it is deliberate tactic. It's luck and chance.

Thank god we got the second goal.... fully expecting Toons to hit us late on and get the draw... Werner has some speed on him, great run and set up from him.. 

Naff and pointless us. We'll get to 40 odd points probably, Bruce not good enough for more so we are just sitting around waiting for these 2 court cases against the Premier League so we can move on as a club.

5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Thank god we got the second goal.... fully expecting Toons to hit us late on and get the draw... Werner has some speed on him, great run and set up from him.. 

Offers a lot even when he’s not scoring. 

Job done and another good defensive display. Real test begins next weekend. 

1 minute ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

Naff and pointless us. We'll get to 40 odd points probably, Bruce not good enough for more so we are just sitting around waiting for these 2 court cases against the Premier League so we can move on as a club.

Well we thank you for your participation.... and when I say participation I mean thanks for turning up at least.. and when I say turning up I mean getting changed and coming out on the pitch... 

Tougher run of games start next week, but so far Kante has looked comfortable as the holding midfielder. I'll hold up my hands on that one. Hope he produces the same the next several weeks. 

2 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Well we thank you for your participation.... and when I say participation I mean thanks for turning up at least.. and when I say turning up I mean getting changed and coming out on the pitch... 

It is us who should be thanking you for participating in our specially arranged event to get sports direct hoardings on the telebox. 

The amount of Lonsdale underwear sold in that 90 minutes will feed the team for 3 days.

6 hours ago, Cicero said:

Tougher run of games start next week, but so far Kante has looked comfortable as the holding midfielder. I'll hold up my hands on that one. Hope he produces the same the next several weeks. 

It's not that he's a pure holding player, he probably still plays his best football in a two but given our options in that area, we may as well adapt him there and use him similar to the way he's used for France. He probably shouldn't be used there every game and we can make use of some of the other players in that position when need be but for me, the best football we've played under Lampard so far has always been with two more attacking midfielders and one sitting. 

I said recently I thought we didn't have the squad profile to be able to keep on playing that system with Barkley and Loftus-Cheek on loan but it's clear Lampard has started to use Kovacic further up the pitch who does have the technical ability to play that role.

It will be interesting to see what Lampard does with some big games coming up, will he shit a brick and go back to three at the back against Spurs? I'd personally like us to go for it and continue with the current system. If we lose that way, people might question why he didn't change to 3 at the back. If we lose with three at the back, people might question why he didn't keep it as it was. I hope we stay how we are in the current shape for the big games.