• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham 2-0 Man City - Saturday 21st November, 2020

football forum

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Storts said:

My word. I don’t enjoy that football. Or the man leading it. But what a fantastic, defensive performance. Don’t think I’ve seen a Tottenham side look so in control and assured at the back against a great side before.

Every single one of them put such a shift in. Dier, Sissoko, Hojbjerg were brilliant. Aurier and Reguilon too since they’re supposedly suspect defensively. And then you have Kane. He’s just sensational - all over the pitch. Best player in the league for me. So complete. Does it all. Hero. Talisman.

Big one at the bridge next week 

Is this Gary Neville? 

• The title was changed to Tottenham 2-0 Man City - Saturday 21st November, 2020
  • Administrator

Pep is becoming like Mourinho did after a few years in the Premier League. Sour grapes and just sounds so bitter because he doesn't always get things going his way, like there's a divine right they should win every game. Doesn't always like to give credit to other teams and things are never his own fault or his own team's shortcomings.

• Subscriber

Sometimes in these games you can say fair enough we were lucky and got battered etc. When we’ve done this to city in the past like Last season I’d have said so. Today wasn’t one of them though. We played really well. Second half just so in control of the game - never looked like conceding 

• The topic was unpinned
28 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

City are a shadow if what they used to be. I fancy Spurs in this, do you @Cicero 🤔

What exactly are you getting at? 2nd time you’ve mentioned me. xD

Spurs tactics weren’t groundbreaking or anything Pep and City haven’t managed with relative ease prior to today. If anything, this says a lot about City/Pep than Spurs. The contract extension may prove costly. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Pep is becoming like Mourinho did after a few years in the Premier League. Sour grapes and just sounds so bitter because he doesn't always get things going his way, like there's a divine right they should win every game. Doesn't always like to give credit to other teams and things are never his own fault or his own team's shortcomings.

"Play to my strengths or you don't deserve to win".

4 hours ago, Stan said:

Tbf he’s always been like this.

I get where he’s coming from though, being on the end of one of these Mourinho masterclasses where you see a lot of the ball and make more chances that lead to shots (even if they’re shit shots because Mourinho’s got his tactics so spot on you don’t get the chances you like)... it’s very annoying. You lose, had more chances, and don’t play particularly poorly (because I don’t think city were bad) - thats always frustrating to lose to.

To me, matches like this show Mourinho’s still got it and claims that he’s a dinosaur and that football has moved on (which tbh is laughable, there’s still so many sides that don’t set out to play “progressive” football at all) are way overblown. 

41 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

To me, matches like this show Mourinho’s still got it and claims that he’s a dinosaur and that football has moved on (which tbh is laughable, there’s still so many sides that don’t set out to play “progressive” football at all) are way overblown. 

The argument wasn’t that it wasn’t unsuccessful, rather that it’s unsustainable. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

The argument wasn’t that it wasn’t unsuccessful, rather that it’s unsustainable. 

I don’t really have an opinion on that - imo there’s an argument the exact opposite way of playing can burn players out as well - and it (my post) wasn’t so much directed at you or any particular person on here. It’s just a view I’ve seen a lot online, that Mourinho’s past it and his brand of football has been found out by “modern” attacking football (that uses so many of the old Dutch “total football” concepts I’m hesitant to call it “modern”).

Personally I think the only reason Mourinho failed at United is because he was there at the wrong time. He takes good teams and makes them great. He was trying to make an above average side great and it didn’t work out. I also suspect his personality doesn’t get on well with a lot of the attitudes in that dressing room...

And I think he struggled last season with Spurs when he came into a side in utter disarray. But I think 2 seasons ago, we’d all agree that Spurs looked a much better side than United. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up a much better manager for United than at Spurs.

But then it is a question of, as you say, how sustainable him improving Spurs can be. He doesn’t have a track record of long projects, really. And he does have a track record of losing the dressing room, as it looks like Poch did too.

It’s all why it’s very interesting to see how his appointment at Spurs goes.

For what it's worth, we got a point off City and Pep was very complimentary to us.

I don't blame him for having a thinly veiled dig at teams who don't attempt to play against them, it's not how he's been brought up to believe the game should be played. Let's be honest, no one likes losing games like that. We've had it and it is annoying.

But there are several ways to skin a turd and unfortunately, his team faces this approach more than anyone, so he's got to be clever enough to find a solution to that.

At the moment, bar De Bruyne finding a killer pass, they seem short of ideas in attack and very predictable. Silva isn't there pulling the defence apart on strings and I also think they lost that spark Sane used to give them out wide.

They have a run now playing four garbage teams in Burnley, Fulham, Man U and West Brom in which to kickstart their season and try put some goals on the board.

• Subscriber

Pep was complimentary because you're an open team who didn't set up to stifle their play, and he knows that more often than not in future that he's going to beat you doing it. It's why they slagged us off and it's why he'll slag others who do it off. He's been like it years. Heaps praise on teams he hammers and slates the ones who get something off him. Spotted it very early doors.

Archived