talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Study

football forum

A chat for all those doing that extra spicy post school level education. A place to vent/share study tips and chat about what you're learning and why!

Currently finishing Cert IV in fitness and chemistry/maths at university, to get automatic entry into exercise science. Sadly this involves learning engineering maths. Fuck my life, it's dry as fuck. 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Did my Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH) Level 3 last year which is usually for someone at entry-level or with >2yrs experience in the job. Been there longer at the time but needed something for my CV incase we had to re-apply for jobs or if I wanted to progress elsewhere. Plus gave me something ahead of others if they applied too.

So might go for Level 4 in next few months (work will pay for it I think) as that's manager-level which is what I want to aim for soon.

• Subscriber

Does online studying count?

Have been taking Comp/Data Science, Python and ML courses throughout this year. AI was the field of study I wanted to switch to for PhD years ago, decided against it back then, but the interest never vanished, so I'm just trying to start anew but not in a formal setting as I don't have time for that. 

• Subscriber

I am going to be taking an OMSCS course at Georgia Tech for my Masters in Computer Science starting in the fall next year. While I am excited that I will finally put another thing I have wanted away the thing that does scare me is the amount of time i will have to spend studying and working. 

• 1 month later...
On 20/11/2020 at 22:57, nudge said:

Does online studying count?

Have been taking Comp/Data Science, Python and ML courses throughout this year. AI was the field of study I wanted to switch to for PhD years ago, decided against it back then, but the interest never vanished, so I'm just trying to start anew but not in a formal setting as I don't have time for that. 

I'd personally say that in this day and age, online studying counts as much as anything. It's probably the quickest and most effective method as well. It all depends on what you're studying(and even your personality) as it's impossible to take some courses online due to the practical aspects, but for many subjects, online is probably the way forward. You can study at your own pace(mine usually being at a far quicker one than what you'd generally encounter in a classroom) and you're more focused, provided you have the self-motivation. I personally can't focus properly(as a student) in a classroom environment at all. I'd rather be the one stood up doing the talking, as opposed to listening, in such an environment.

I've just completed the "ELE"(Enseña Español como lengua extranjera) course today, I passed all the exams and obtained my certificate. I was literally at it for 12 hours yesterday xD.

I actually learnt a lot from the course about teaching Spanish, it was interesting and I never had any problems understanding anything. It's an option for the near future, but I'd slide more towards teaching adults though. I couldn't teach kids.

• 2 months later...

My favourite and not favourite parts of each these subjects

Physics

Favourite - All the conventional physics. It's interesting mapping the real world in mathematical ways. Einstein's relativity is fun to work on too. 

Not - Everything electrical currents, Induction, solving those series or parallel shit of resistances, no thank you

Chemistry

Favourite - Organic Chemistry, just clicked to me and the part where chemistry overlaps with biology

Not - Pretty much everything dry subject but i can live with it. 

Maths

Favourite - Trigonometry, Algebra of almost all sorts and Calculus. I had great teachers for it which partly adds my liking for these.

Not - Probabilities permutations and matrixes, sets and stuff. Boring iterations of doing the same steps over and over again.

• Subscriber

Just finished my first proper Python project for work! The first one I felt comfortable doing on my own after taking numerous courses, and it works flawlessly :D Delighted. 

I'm now considering whether to delve deeper into data science courses, or focus on the practical side of it and keep on learning by doing. 

Programming has abstraction, hiding complex details. I take programmers as an abstraction in the real world just make me my games and cool stuff no one cares about your world of printfs and curly brackets and that compiler who gives out a message like his mom died just bcz you missed a dot. 

Archived