talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Players over 50

football forum

So guys, I was watching the Napoli Milan match and seeing Zlatan scoring another one and looking great at the age of 39 made me wonder if we´ll see in our lifetime a footballer over 50 playing at the top flight level. 

Some candidates: 

Zlatan Ibrahimovic - 39 yo Milan

Vitorino Hilton - 43 yo Montpellier 

Bruno Alves - 39 yo Parma

Cristiano Ronaldo - 35 yo Juventus

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
26 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

So guys, I was watching the Napoli Milan match and seeing Zlatan scoring another one and looking great at the age of 39 made me wonder if we´ll see in our lifetime a footballer over 50 playing at the top flight level. 

Some candidates: 

Zlatan Ibrahimovic - 39 yo Milan

Vitorino Hilton - 43 yo Montpellier 

Bruno Alves - 39 yo Parma

Cristiano Ronaldo - 35 yo Juventus

I think as we get older our bodies start to get susceptible to more injuries and I can't see it happening. As Cicero mentioned maybe a GK but I doubt he gets game-time and may just be part of the squad. 

25 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think as we get older our bodies start to get susceptible to more injuries and I can't see it happening. As Cicero mentioned maybe a GK but I doubt he gets game-time and may just be part of the squad. 

Yes, 50 may be a bridge too far. 45 though could be possible. 

I guess it will come down to the evolution of sports medicine. I mean, 20 years ago, Zlatan probably would've retired after his injury at United. But I can definitely see Zlatan and Cristiano Ronaldo being pretty decent strikers at well over 40.

• Subscriber
Just now, El Profesor said:

Yes, 50 may be a bridge too far. 45 though could be possible. 

I guess it will come down to the evolution of sports medicine. I mean, 20 years ago, Zlatan probably would've retired after his injury at United. But I can definitely see Zlatan and Cristiano Ronaldo being pretty decent strikers at well over 40.

I think 40 is possible for even a defender personally. Where it does start to cause issues is with sides playing fast football and I think at 45 we're likely to see some appearances from a midfielder or a goalkeeper but not a winger or a striker. 

4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think 40 is possible for even a defender personally. Where it does start to cause issues is with sides playing fast football and I think at 45 we're likely to see some appearances from a midfielder or a goalkeeper but not a winger or a striker. 

The problem for a GK is that the day-to-day training is really tough for the body. Matchday is the easiest part of a GK job. 

I think for wingers, midfielders and full-backs the process of aging is tougher. Central defenders and strikers tend to age better. Joaquin is the exception, 39 years old and still going strong for Betis as a winger. 

• Subscriber

Googled and found the 10 oldest players still playing or retired.

1. Kazuyoshi Miura (February 26, 1967 – Present) - 53
 2. Stanley Matthews (February 1, 1915 – February 23, 2000) - 50
 3. Essam El-Hadary (January 15, 1973 – Present) - 47

The Rest... 

https://www.oldest.org/sports/soccer-players/

4 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

I bet Yakubu was actually about 50 when he played for us.

Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if we see it in our lifetime. Zlatan is rolling back the years at 40 and it's great to see.

Will Buffon attempt it?

Better be careful saying stuff like that! Might be misconstrued.

Rodrigo Palacio's pretty old - I think he's nearly 40. But I can't see him going until he's 50... at least at the top level. Isn't there a Brazilian defender in France that's over 40? Hilton?

It's probably doable for very good players if they move to shittier top flights.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Rodrigo Palacio's pretty old - I think he's nearly 40. But I can't see him going until he's 50... at least at the top level. Isn't there a Brazilian defender in France that's over 40? Hilton?

It's probably doable for very good players if they move to shittier top flights.

Yes, Hilton is a central-defender at Montpellier. He´s 43 and is still a vital member of the team. 

And Palacio is 38. 

23 hours ago, Tommy said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazuyoshi_Miura

Not top flight per se, but still impressive. 

Had totally forgotten about Kazu. He played here in Brazil. A legend. 

Archived