• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2020 - Bahrain GP - 27-29th Nov, 2020

football forum

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Always gonna finish with safety car wasn't it?! 

Can't really analyse that too much given the conditions but the main thing is that Grosjean is okay in what could have had horrific consequences. 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think given the fact he walked away from it, it was okay to show it? Almost to celebrate the fact he is alive and okay. I think it would have been a totally different story if he didn’t make it or had severe life changing major injuries.

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

I think given the fact he walked away from it, it was okay to show it? Almost to celebrate the fact he is alive and okay. I think it would have been a totally different story if he didn’t make it or had severe life changing major injuries.

That couldn't really be determined straight away though. Pretty sure there was footage and replays without knowing the full details or extent of his injuries. Don't get me wrong fully relieved he is okay in the end, but I can see Ricciardo's point, especially replaying it to everyone while the drivers had to race and the teams were still unaware of his condition even if he did walk away.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Stan said:

That couldn't really be determined straight away though. Pretty sure there was footage and replays without knowing the full details or extent of his injuries. Don't get me wrong fully relieved he is okay in the end, but I can see Ricciardo's point, especially replaying it to everyone while the drivers had to race and the teams were still unaware of his condition even if he did walk away.

Yeah I can definitely see his point. Just trying to understand why they did what they did. As to be fair I shared things myself and that was my thought process. I shared it as a..”it’s amazing he’s alive” kind of thing. 

• Subscriber

I'm with @JOSHBRFC here. There were no replays until they were able to show him in the medical car, sitting there talking to the medics while they were applying gel on his hand burns. After that, they showed him limping to the car with the help of the medical staff, clearly conscious, and with his body intact. Only after that they started actually showing the replays of the crash, and I think that's perfectly fine. In fact, I was relieved, because they never show footage of crashes if the driver is dead or in a serious condition, so for me it was just another confirmation that he was ok. When Hubert died after the crash in F2 last year, no replays have been shown and you just knew he didn't make it...

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, nudge said:

I'm with @JOSHBRFC here. There were no replays until they were able to show him in the medical car, sitting there talking to the medics while they were applying gel on his hand burns. After that, they showed him limping to the car with the help of the medical staff, clearly conscious, and with his body intact. Only after that they started actually showing the replays of the crash, and I think that's perfectly fine. In fact, I was relieved, because they never show footage of crashes if the driver is dead or in a serious condition, so for me it was just another confirmation that he was ok. When Hubert died after the crash in F2 last year, no replays have been shown and you just knew he didn't make it...

Do you think it should have been shown to the drivers? Even if Grosjean was okay, was it right to show a car impacting like that and bursting in to flames? Could it have been communicated differently? I don't know if all drivers saw the crash as it happened so that's where Ricciardo might be coming from?

As a fan/viewer, it was great to see him walking out and clearly conscious so I get the point about not seeing other crashes where driver dies. But what Ricciardo was saying is that they have to go back out and drive soon after - does it help them mentally seeing the footage? I'm not sure it does - they could have just said he's fine, is being treated and is conscious and alert etc to reassure them.

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

Do you think it should have been shown to the drivers? Even if Grosjean was okay, was it right to show a car impacting like that and bursting in to flames? Could it have been communicated differently? I don't know if all drivers saw the crash as it happened so that's where Ricciardo might be coming from?

As a fan/viewer, it was great to see him walking out and clearly conscious so I get the point about not seeing other crashes where driver dies. But what Ricciardo was saying is that they have to go back out and drive soon after - does it help them mentally seeing the footage? I'm not sure it does - they could have just said he's fine, is being treated and is conscious and alert etc to reassure them.

I understand that drivers would be shocked watching replays of a crash like that, but then again, at that point it was confirmed Grosjean was OK and nobody else was injured, so I don't see the problem with it, really? It's not as if the drivers are forced to watch it on the screens either... As a racing driver, you should be aware of the risks you are taking every time you get into the car; even with all safety improvements, danger will always be a part of motorsports. FOM has clear broadcast procedures regarding showing footage of crashes, I'm sure the teams and the drivers are aware of them. If watching a replay of a bad crash like that, even knowing that the fellow driver is ok, makes you reconsider your life and career choices, then it's perfectly understandable, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it. 

Ricciardo's mom is always worried watching him race, so I'm sure she had her in mind when he said those things. She must have been mortified seeing that on TV and thinking that this, or worse, could happen to her son. 

• The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, Tommy said:

The part where he talks about his body relaxing and being at peace with himself because he accepted that he's going to die gave me chills. 

Then it makes you feel amazing just listening to him explain it knowing he survived it and will be fit and healthy. 

Everyone who acted to help him and so fast deserve some sort of award. Amazing stuff. Getting  there within 10 seconds.  :congrats:

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Tommy said:

The part where he talks about his body relaxing and being at peace with himself because he accepted that he's going to die gave me chills. 

Same. Spine tingling as I just saw a bit of it. Also the same feeling when he said he needs to gather his thoughts and get out for his children. That period of relaxation was precious to realise he needed to get out. 

Archived