talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Beer

football forum

On 28/11/2020 at 07:34, nudge said:

Corona is a shitty beer to drink on its own, but it goes amazingly well with certain foods, and is very refreshing on a hot summer day. Throw a slice of lime in it, perfect. Just don't consider it a beer, it's more in line with radler or shandy and the likes.

Lime or lemon makes it somewhat okay and if it’s its 40 degrees or I’ve just finished playing football - then it’s maybe acceptable haha. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/11/2020 at 15:34, nudge said:

Corona is a shitty beer to drink on its own, but it goes amazingly well with certain foods, and is very refreshing on a hot summer day. Throw a slice of lime in it, perfect. Just don't consider it a beer, it's more in line with radler or shandy and the likes.

Can replace “Corona” with “Mexican lager” and I think that’s all still true

• Subscriber

These are quite nice. Had a couple last night, had been a while since i tried it.

5a5c772aaa5d2.jpg

When it comes to lager, i really can't just pick one. Or even a few.. whilst my favourites remain Hop House and Peroni. I feel drinking the same stuff over and over gets boring. I like to taste and try new things, it applies to anything i suppose though, not just beer.

I've got friends who swear by one drink and just drink that... but it's like... come on ffs broaden your horizons. 

• Administrator
On 25/11/2020 at 21:23, Stan said:

San Miguel
Peroni
Kronenbourg
Heineken
Camden Hells
Sol
Amstel
Corona
Kingfisher
Cobra
Tiger

They'd be my preferred beers or ones that I'd regularly enjoy. If I'm in a bar/pub I'd always want to go for whatever's on tap. 

I can't remember where I had it but I had a Samuel Adams Fresh as Helles somewhere and it was delightful. Never come across it again though.

Not sure if anyone has a Brewhouse & Kitchen near them (if in UK) but I like some beers from there, too - Krombacher and Asahi especially.

Also like some blonde beers - Duvel, Leffe, La Chouffe Soleil are quite nice but don't have them as regularly.

2 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

These are quite nice. Had a couple last night, had been a while since i tried it.

5a5c772aaa5d2.jpg

We may not agree on Turkish footballers but we certainly can enjoy a Japanese beer together :D 

35 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

This one’s alright

Most just are 'alright' unfortunately. Most of these American breweries can't use hops for shit, they just up in the ante in the typical American cultural headset of 'more is better', degrading into a pissing contest of who can jam the most hops into a brew. Instead of making a well balanced IPA they just fucking ramp it up Double or Triple, underneath you can tell there is a decent beer but it is unpalatable because it tastes like getting mouthfucked by a sentient vine of hops. I have a lot of respect for a lot of breweries for pushing boundaries but most gambits fail my taste test.

Or they just go the opposite direction and make a watered down clone of a style of beer to sell to the Bud Lite crowd. Anything by New Belgium or 'inspired' by Belgian beers is an offence to the breweries of Belgium. Imagine having the nerve calling your brewery New Belgium and selling it next to a Trappist Ale. The only foreign brewery that has the right to be stacked next to a Belgian brewery is Montreal's Unibroue, which may actually be the greatest brewery in the world (at least the new world). 

But the world of American beer soars the highest of highs and reaches pretty typical lows, but even shit like Budweiser isn't really that bad. I'd rather drink that than Corona, Peroni, Stella Artois, that one really cheap German beer, Heineken, and a few other shit common beers. Really the only nation that I would claim to have a truly exceptional culture of beers is Belgium, Germany close after but I feel like there are more terrible German beers than Belgium available internationally. I do like the cask ales of England but they are very difficult to find, and the Scotch Ale out of Scotland is a peach.

As far as American breweries go, I'm a fan of (off the top of my head)

• Pabst Blue Ribbon/Old Style (I swear it is the exact same beer)
  • Coors (not gonna lie that Banquet beer goes down like a charm on a hot summer day)
  • Pipeworks Brewing (they crank out so many varietals, it is beyond impressive even if most suck; though when they land it's a thing of beauty)
  • Hop Butcher For The World (guilty of the 'too hopped' sin a lot though)
  • Bell's Brewery
  • Lagunitas
  • Goose Island
  • Founder's

Most are midwest breweries so I'm not sure if you can find them in your neck of the woods.

Not into the sour fad at the moment either, liked it about six years ago but only fleeting. The only thing worse than sours are 'dry hopped' beers, why anyone goes for the taste of lawn clippings in beer is beyond me.

Just now, Danny said:

Gotta day love a bit of London Pride or Doombar too @Spike London Pride is very much the original in terms of taste when you see what a lot of these new Craft Ale drinks are trying to produce

What do you mean craft ale? There are a million different methods of making and varietals of ale. Ale is just beer that has been fermented at a warm temperature, stouts are technically a type of ale because they are top fermented at a warm temperature. Do you mean cask fermented ale?

27 minutes ago, Spike said:

Most just are 'alright' unfortunately. Most of these American breweries can't use hops for shit, they just up in the ante in the typical American cultural headset of 'more is better', degrading into a pissing contest of who can jam the most hops into a brew. Instead of making a well balanced IPA they just fucking ramp it up Double or Triple, underneath you can tell there is a decent beer but it is unpalatable because it tastes like getting mouthfucked by a sentient vine of hops. I have a lot of respect for a lot of breweries for pushing boundaries but most gambits fail my taste test.

Or they just go the opposite direction and make a watered down clone of a style of beer to sell to the Bud Lite crowd. Anything by New Belgium or 'inspired' by Belgian beers is an offence to the breweries of Belgium. Imagine having the nerve calling your brewery New Belgium and selling it next to a Trappist Ale. The only foreign brewery that has the right to be stacked next to a Belgian brewery is Montreal's Unibroue, which may actually be the greatest brewery in the world (at least the new world). 

But the world of American beer soars the highest of highs and reaches pretty typical lows, but even shit like Budweiser isn't really that bad. I'd rather drink that than Corona, Peroni, Stella Artois, that one really cheap German beer, Heineken, and a few other shit common beers. Really the only nation that I would claim to have a truly exceptional culture of beers is Belgium, Germany close after but I feel like there are more terrible German beers than Belgium available internationally. I do like the cask ales of England but they are very difficult to find, and the Scotch Ale out of Scotland is a peach.

As far as American breweries go, I'm a fan of (off the top of my head)

• Pabst Blue Ribbon/Old Style (I swear it is the exact same beer)
  • Coors (not gonna lie that Banquet beer goes down like a charm on a hot summer day)
  • Pipeworks Brewing (they crank out so many varietals, it is beyond impressive even if most suck; though when they land it's a thing of beauty)
  • Hop Butcher For The World (guilty of the 'too hopped' sin a lot though)
  • Bell's Brewery
  • Lagunitas
  • Goose Island
  • Founder's

Most are midwest breweries so I'm not sure if you can find them in your neck of the woods.

Not into the sour fad at the moment either, liked it about six years ago but only fleeting. The only thing worse than sours are 'dry hopped' beers, why anyone goes for the taste of lawn clippings in beer is beyond me.

The only one of those I like is Lagunitas.  I like more of the local breweries here more than most other US beers, by some distance. The worst offender in that shoving hops into everything for our breweries here is Stone, so be weary of their beers if you're trying a San Diego beer. I'd say Karl Strauss is my favourite brewery here. The next best, imo, have been from LA breweries. SF beer that I've had seems to be shite, and there's a few decent ones from Portland (which is where I think the one I posted is from).

I've got a theory that it means "craft" beer doesn't travel all that well, tbh. But I'm not sure about that at all, but I liked Goose Island when I had it in Chicago. I didn't like it very much the last time I bought a 6 pack and had it at home.

With Pabst/Coors/pretty much any American lager... I think those are pretty consistent anywhere you are in the world. But they're not great lagers, I'd rather go with pretty much any lager over any US lager tbh - pretty much the opposite of what you said.

I'm not really a fan of hazy IPAs and especially not sours. I mostly just like Ales and Lagers tbh.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The only one of those I like is Lagunitas.  I like more of the local breweries here more than most other US beers, by some distance. The worst offender in that shoving hops into everything for our breweries here is Stone, so be weary of their beers if you're trying a San Diego beer. I'd say Karl Strauss is my favourite brewery here. The next best, imo, have been from LA breweries. SF beer that I've had seems to be shite, and there's a few decent ones from Portland (which is where I think the one I posted is from).

I've got a theory that it means "craft" beer doesn't travel all that well, tbh. But I'm not sure about that at all, but I liked Goose Island when I had it in Chicago. I didn't like it very much the last time I bought a 6 pack and had it at home.

With Pabst/Coors/pretty much any American lager... I think those are pretty consistent anywhere you are in the world. But they're not great lagers, I'd rather go with pretty much any lager over any US lager tbh - pretty much the opposite of what you said. 

I'm not really a fan of hazy IPAs and especially not sours. I mostly just like Ales and Lagers tbh.

I don't know about that...Peroni, Corona, and Stella Artois are three of the worst beers I've ever had, because they are always skunked. Heineken is another terrible offender for skunkiness, but I used to really like Heineken. Newcastle Brown Ale always used to taste skunky as well, but I feel like they changed the recipe when they started brewing it in Chicago at Lagunitas. Perhaps you are onto something with the travelling, but German and Belgian beers never taste bad or skunky.

You say you like ales but there are a million different ales, Hazy IPAs are ales. Lagers also have differentiation, most people think of Lagers they are just thinking of Pilsners, but there are difference styles like Marzen, Dunken and Bock. Ale and Lager really isn't a 'type' it's more of two different methods of brewing. Essentially when you say 'I like lager and ale', you are saying 'I like every single beer ever'. xD

I've read books on beer

12 minutes ago, Spike said:

I don't know about that...Peroni, Corona, and Stella Artois are three of the worst beers I've ever had, because they are always skunked. Heineken is another terrible offender for skunkiness, but I used to really like Heineken. Newcastle Brown Ale always used to taste skunky as well, but I feel like they changed the recipe when they started brewing it in Chicago at Lagunitas. Perhaps you are onto something with the travelling, but German and Belgian beers never taste bad or skunky.

You say you like ales but there are a million different ales, Hazy IPAs are ales. Lagers also have differentiation, most people think of Lagers they are just thinking of Pilsners, but there are difference styles like Marzen, Dunken and Bock. Ale and Lager really isn't a 'type' it's more of two different methods of brewing. Essentially when you say 'I like lager and ale', you are saying 'I like every single beer ever'. xD

I've read books on beer

I mean in terms of styles of beers... I do like almost every single beer ever... except sours. And stouts if stouts are even beer, because stouts are shite imo.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

What do you mean craft ale? There are a million different methods of making and varietals of ale. Ale is just beer that has been fermented at a warm temperature, stouts are technically a type of ale because they are top fermented at a warm temperature. Do you mean cask fermented ale?

I’m using random words to describe the new fad of “craft beer” where everyone makes a soft tasting bubbly beer, even though it’s an incorrect term craft beer is generally used to describe that

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean in terms of styles of beers... I do like almost every single beer ever... except sours. And stouts if stouts are even beer, because stouts are shite imo.

Used to think the same about stout, but my god I’ve had some nice ones in recent years. I can only have one though. A chocolatey stout. 

1 minute ago, Toinho said:

Budweiser is rubbish!!!

Pabst is popular at my old football club here. Mainly because it’s cheap and in a tin. 

I notice most Australians call it Pabst for some reason, when it is nearly always referred to as PBR in the USA. I refuse to believe it's cheap as well, when a tin goes for $10 in Brisbane. $10 is over halfway to a slab of them in the USA.

10 minutes ago, Danny said:

I’m using random words to describe the new fad of “craft beer” where everyone makes a soft tasting bubbly beer, even though it’s an incorrect term craft beer is generally used to describe that

I still don't really understand what you mean, mate. Craft beer just means a beer made by a small independent brewery, it's interchangeable with microbrewery.

15 minutes ago, Spike said:

I still don't really understand what you mean, mate. Craft beer just means a beer made by a small independent brewery, it's interchangeable with microbrewery.

Yeah but it’s largely all the same type of beers with a couple of different ones thrown in, but mostly pale ales

34 minutes ago, Spike said:

I notice most Australians call it Pabst for some reason, when it is nearly always referred to as PBR in the USA. I refuse to believe it's cheap as well, when a tin goes for $10 in Brisbane. $10 is over halfway to a slab of them in the USA.

About $60 for 24.. while not as cheap as corona and aussie mainstream stuff - for the size of the can it’s not bad value I suppose (here). But we know we pay heaps for alcohol. 

• 1 month later...

Been on this lager from Love Lane recently. Really nice. Tried their Baltic Haze V3, like them, but too strong for me xD. Started to get a headache after a couple!

Started drinking Hazy Jane from Brewdog at some point last year and do keep going back to that too 

PXL_20210108_225158134.jpg

Archived