talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Christmas 2020

football forum

• Administrator

Less than a month to go so it's acceptable. A very different Christmas this year, no doubt, for all of us in some ways. 

What won't change, is the amount of food and drink consumed... 

This typifies 2020, mind. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Toinho said:

It’s still November. Calm down! 

Our Xmas will be business as usual at this rate, very lucky. 

I'm usually like that, don't put a tree up too early etc but I don't begrudge anyone this year who uses Christmas as their bit of positivity to get over what's been a bollocks year.

Just feel really sorry for the people who have lost loved one's this year along the way, or who will be alone for it, especially the latter.

• Subscriber

It'll be a weird one for sure. Really want to go see family but I really don't think it's worth putting them at risk at the moment as tough as it is. I'm lucky that I live with my girlfriend so at least we've got each other really. As @Lucas said, I really do feel for those who've lost people this year. It's bad enough spending Christmas or special occasions without loved ones but even more so this year. There is going to be a lot of lonely feeling people.

I’m quite grateful to be able to at least go to a pub, I know a lot of people won’t. To me the best bit of Christmas is the build up, drinks with friends and colleagues, getting ripped off for a pint and freezing cold outside a Christmas market etc. I haven’t seen my Mother since February so it will be great to see everybody at Christmas itself. 

Hopefully the only Christmas we experience like this. Makes you appreciate what you have.

• Subscriber

Just put the tree up and got done with Xmas shopping too (all online). It's going to be weird this Xmas as we can't really go home but I'll go see my folks in Feb so not too bad. Bars are open here but I have no idea what the Xmas protocols are going to be like if any.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Christmas AND Tom Cruise? Ugh.

Thanks for the warning, I'll be sure not to click on it!

I would say that both of those combined would be enough to drive you to drink but knowing you I suspect you have turned for a lot less... B|

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I would say that both of those combined would be enough to drive you to drink but knowing you I suspect you have turned for a lot less... B|

I fear for her liver over the Xmas period.

Gonna be a tough one this year. Probably my Grandma's final Christmas and I wont be able to see her.

This is the thing what annoys me about the regulations, surely in a situation like that it should be down to the family to decide what they want to do? Anyway, my Christmas usually involves a lot of drinking and that'll be no different this year.

• Subscriber
On 28/11/2020 at 11:31, Lucas said:

I'm usually like that, don't put a tree up too early

Ditto here, xmas tree not up yet or decorations, that's always been the wife's way and we both stick by it and I wait until Liz says "Time for the tree and decos dear" and cupboard doors get opened up.

This year a wee bit different, now my health has improved since I quit the cancer sticks it's whisk(e)y time this year and hogmanay and I am fucking looking forward to that. :hh:

1 hour ago, N U F C said:

Gonna be a tough one this year. Probably my Grandma's final Christmas and I wont be able to see her.

This is the thing what annoys me about the regulations, surely in a situation like that it should be down to the family to decide what they want to do? Anyway, my Christmas usually involves a lot of drinking and that'll be no different this year.

If I was in your situation, I'd gladly hold my hands up and say I'd defy the rules depending on the circumstances of your Grandma. 100% I know I would if she was happy for me to do so.

As long as the immediate family had no issue with it also, fuck it, for sure I'd do it.

10 hours ago, Lucas said:

If I was in your situation, I'd gladly hold my hands up and say I'd defy the rules depending on the circumstances of your Grandma. 100% I know I would if she was happy for me to do so.

As long as the immediate family had no issue with it also, fuck it, for sure I'd do it.

Yeah just with her being in a carehome and they're weird fuckers. She's 92, she knows what she wants and it's not like getting a vaccine is going to make any difference to her. Think when the time comes I wont be able to help myself anyway.

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, N U F C said:

Yeah just with her being in a carehome and they're weird fuckers. She's 92, she knows what she wants and it's not like getting a vaccine is going to make any difference to her. Think when the time comes I wont be able to help myself anyway.

I agree with @Lucas - if you and family are comfortable, and she herself is happy for it, then I'd go. Given it could be the last Xmas you spend with her, it's worth it.

In addition to that though, not sure if you saw this update about seeing people in care homes?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55152413

People living in care homes in England will be able to have visits from family and friends by Christmas if the visitors test negative for Covid-19, the government has said.

More than a million coronavirus tests will be sent to care homes over the next month to allow safe indoor visits.

Visits will be allowed across all tiers of coronavirus restrictions.

In new guidance, the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) says the "default position" is now that visits should be enabled to go ahead in all tiers - unless there is an outbreak in the care home.

It adds that hand holding and hugging may be possible if other infection control measures are followed.

It stresses the importance of visitors minimising contact as much as possible and wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) to help protect their loved ones.

Care homes will manage the number of visits that take place, which must be arranged in advance, with visitors urged to be mindful of the additional workload for the care home.

Each care home is responsible for setting the visiting policy in that home, it says.

8 hours ago, Stan said:

I agree with @Lucas - if you and family are comfortable, and she herself is happy for it, then I'd go. Given it could be the last Xmas you spend with her, it's worth it.

In addition to that though, not sure if you saw this update about seeing people in care homes?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55152413

Cheers for that Stan.

Fingers crossed then, hopefully we'll be able to go in safely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

The trip to the cemetery is earlier this year for the wife and her big sis to lay flowers on loved one's graves at Christmas time, the gates open around 9 ish so we are going up there just in case any restrictions happen because of the Coronavirus.

Hopefully, there won't be any restrictions as we will be back up there to lay some more flowers for the new year, the 14 day isolation period for our daughter and wee Kaiden is nearly finished so we will be able to see them both and over Xmas, we are looking forward to the family get together and it will be Christmas dinner around our daughters with the 3 grandsons, our son will be doing his taxi bit until around tea-time and then he will join us. :hh:  :drunk:

Doing things a bit differently this time around. I probably should have said a while ago but it’s taken quite a while to come to terms with this year but my girlfriends Dad is dying. He had all the symptoms for Corona in April sort of time and 111 said it sounded like Corona and that he’d probably recover in a couple of weeks but a few cases have lasted longer. It went on and on and then he seemed to take a turn for the worse and just wasn’t shaking it off. He eventually got scanned, which was a battle in itself given his temperature at the time but it was cancer and it was terminal. It was a blow to all of us. He turned 50 in July so it all just seems to have happened at once. Basically, Chemo made it worse and they eventually stopped that and it would like we’d lose him much sooner than the original timeframe we’d been given, so he chose to go home for a week and then would go into a hospice. 

I’m not sure what’s happened and I can’t really explain it but he’s now been at home for about 7-8 weeks now and all things considered, he’s okay. He’s got nurses who go out and see him and they’re happy with him. He has a physio who goes out to see him and they’ve had him stand up and even do a couple of steps (it sounds like nothing but after probably 6-9 weeks in bed at hospital or at home, it’s huge). 
We (myself, my girlfriend, her sister and her boyfriend) have self isolated as much as we physically can, I’ve worked from home for the past 8 weeks and we really isolate for a few days before we’re due to see him. 

Usually, we spend Christmas Eve with my family and then around lunchtime on Christmas Day, we head to her parents. This time we’re going to her parents on Christmas Eve, staying over in an Air B&B, having Christmas Day with them and then going to my family on Boxing Day. 

Sorry to put a shit spin on what should be a happy thread and sorry for not really being around/saying anything about it since we found out in July but I hope everyone has a good time and enjoys themselves because things change so quickly so appreciate it. 

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Doing things a bit differently this time around. I probably should have said a while ago but it’s taken quite a while to come to terms with this year but my girlfriends Dad is dying. He had all the symptoms for Corona in April sort of time and 111 said it sounded like Corona and that he’d probably recover in a couple of weeks but a few cases have lasted longer. It went on and on and then he seemed to take a turn for the worse and just wasn’t shaking it off. He eventually got scanned, which was a battle in itself given his temperature at the time but it was cancer and it was terminal. It was a blow to all of us. He turned 50 in July so it all just seems to have happened at once. Basically, Chemo made it worse and they eventually stopped that and it would like we’d lose him much sooner than the original timeframe we’d been given, so he chose to go home for a week and then would go into a hospice. 

I’m not sure what’s happened and I can’t really explain it but he’s now been at home for about 7-8 weeks now and all things considered, he’s okay. He’s got nurses who go out and see him and they’re happy with him. He has a physio who goes out to see him and they’ve had him stand up and even do a couple of steps (it sounds like nothing but after probably 6-9 weeks in bed at hospital or at home, it’s huge). 
We (myself, my girlfriend, her sister and her boyfriend) have self isolated as much as we physically can, I’ve worked from home for the past 8 weeks and we really isolate for a few days before we’re due to see him. 

Usually, we spend Christmas Eve with my family and then around lunchtime on Christmas Day, we head to her parents. This time we’re going to her parents on Christmas Eve, staying over in an Air B&B, having Christmas Day with them and then going to my family on Boxing Day. 

Sorry to put a shit spin on what should be a happy thread and sorry for not really being around/saying anything about it since we found out in July but I hope everyone has a good time and enjoys themselves because things change so quickly so appreciate it. 

I don't think you need or should be sorry. I hope you're able to have a good Christmas with him under the circumstances and are able to enjoy it together :)

Seems like he's a fighter though!

18 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

This has been a tough year for a lot of people, some have had it worse than others and some have been ok and sorry to hear about your particular situation, That must be difficult to deal with under normal circumstances let alone during this year and everything else that has gone on... Despite what was initially pretty bad news it seems a little more upbeat in recent days.. obviously a fighter, All you can do is make the most of the time while you have the chance and be pleased that he is surrounded by friends and family.. 

Archived