talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Game of the Year - 2020 Edition

football forum

• Subscriber

What a year its been. Locked in due to a pandemic and you'd also think that game developers would have gotten shorter on their releases but they didn't and we got a slew of superb games this year that were across so many genres it really was hard to pick one that I really enjoyed. The good news is that most of the top contenders even on award sites are games that were cross-platform. These are some games I played this year (and finished more importantly) and what I think were actually super titles to try.

The Good

1. Doom Eternal (Cross-Platform) - Lets just call this what it is, an exercise in how good your eye-hand co-ordination is. If you think that this iteration of Doom was in the same lines as the previous one you'd be sadly mistaken. Enemies horde up and  you have to know and use all your weapons very wisely to get things done.
  2. Ghost of Tsushima (PS4) - My contender for GOTY when I first played it is such a rich game even with some repetitive mechanics. The story of how a guy helps retake Japan from the Mongols is a compelling story and added with small micro-components to add to an already stellar environment make this such a great game for anyone who just wants to either save Tsushima or just roam the land and gut Mongols. 
  3. Last of Us: Part II (PS4) - I really want this to win an award but not GOTY. It's a good game and as a story its great but I think they could have done so much more in terms of gameplay here that it falls short behind some other GOTY contenders. Even with all the hype and controversy surrounding the game I think this was a good game by ND and if you get the chance to play it don't skip out because they tell a great story even if it falls short in certain places.
  4. Hades (Cross-Platform) - If anyone can point me to a single SuperGiant game they've played which they didn't like I'd be surprised. This is one of my favorite dev shops for games and they didnt disappoint with Hades. I got this in its EA stage and what's truly fun about a rogue-platformer is that the levels keep changing every time you try and play the game. This little mechanic can cause so much pandamonium in game-play and also forces players to stay sharp and pick the right weapons everytime you start a run. This imo is the GOTY but I don't think we'll see them win it. 
  5. Ori and The Will of the Wisps (PC/XBX) - I didn't know what to really expect when I played this game but I did and it turned out to be a super journey and I really enjoyed it. In a year that hasn't had much in terms of Nintendo releasing any platformers of note this was a welcome addition.
  6. NiOh 2 (PS4) - How do you top an existing franchise game? You simply make things harder to do and make the bosses a nightmare. NiOh 2 continues where its predecessor leaves us and yes, like any Team Ninja game, it really is an exercise of the fingers.
  7. Animal Crossing (Switch) - Crack. Just pure crack. 

The Fun to Play

1. Fall Guys (Cross-Platform) - When it came out it was novel and I suppose it still is but then the shine wears off and with all the cheating going on I think over time this game has lost a bit of its shine. 
  2. Streets of Rage 4 (Cross-Platform) - I think the nostalgia factor added a lot to how good this game turned out to be. Its cheap right now on Steam and if you like a good beat-em-up game this is a good one to try. And if you can play with a friend I think its really a great buy.
  3. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Cross-Platform) - EA built something good here and my only real gripe was they didn't give us enough time in it to really enjoy it. The planets, the weapons system and the skill tree were all well made but I felt like they skimped out on some variety in enemy combat and I never ever felt like I was overwhelmed at any point.
  4. Granblue Fantasy: Versus - Combat is complicated (unnecessarily I may add) and if you like any of the older Arc Systems games give this a try. Its not like Guilty Gear or BlazBlue but it does have some of the best artwork out and plays solidly well to give you some hours of fun trying to figure things out. 
  5. Raji: An Ancient Epic (Cross-Platform) - For a first time entry from an Indian Studio I found this game to be quite pleasant. Shame they didn't really stretch it and you can finish it in a single 4 hr sitting if you really want to.
  6. Valorant (PC) - With Overwatch slowly dying away I was pleased to see RIOT try to build something of a hybrid between Overwatch and CS:GO. It had such a promising start but like anything that tends to compensate a lot from its competition its fallen a bit short in gameplay mechanics. Still, if you can get a squad its good fun to be had. 
  7. Among Us (Cross-Platform) - Enough said
  8. Star Wars: Squadrons - My initial thoughts were ... cool. Then I  played it more and the more I played the more I think this game was specifically designed with VR in mind and it really does deserve to be played that way. If you get migraines from a lot of screen shifting dont play this because it is a test in knowing how to control your space very well. 
  9. Dark Light (PC - Early Access) - Fun game and its actually a really hard one too. Side-scrolling adventure that will keep you on your toes while you try and navigate the bio-hazard wasteland they've created.
  10. Helltaker (PC) - This overhead puzzle game is just plain stupid fun. Give it a look into and its cheap on Steam as well. 
  11. RE3: Remake (PC) - With the glowing success behind Capcom redoing RE2 I wanted this game to shine. Sadly it didn't and while it is a totally fun game to play I feel like Nemesis never really got upgraded well enough to be considered a nuisance like he was in the original RE3. 
  12. Spiritfarer (Cross-Platform) - At first this game seems rather mundane. Ferry some dead souls across to their end but then they start giving you tasks and missions and it really does come to a nice ending when its all done. It's great as a time-pass.

Yet to Try

1. Genshin Impact
  2. Microsoft Flight Simulator
  3. Crash Bandicoot 4
  4. SFV: Championship Edition
  5. AC: Valhalla (If I can get past the rest of my backlog I'll give this a try)
  6. Half-Life: Alyx
  7. Ghostrunner

What games did you get playing during the Pandemic and what are you looking forward to in 2021? 

Oh my GOTY 2020 is Hades. 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll have to check games I played were actually made this year as I've been trying to finish off the Yakuza series with the remastered collection (which was this year), while playing RE3 and Streets of Rage 4 before that. 

Think it'll have to be between those three really for me as I haven't played too much due to being able to work from home since March and assignment work. 

I'll have to have a think about these three really. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I'll have to check games I played were actually made this year as I've been trying to finish off the Yakuza series with the remastered collection (which was this year), while playing RE3 and Streets of Rage 4 before that. 

Think it'll have to be between those three really for me as I haven't played too much due to being able to work from home since March and assignment work. 

I'll have to have a think about these three really. 

Because of you I now have Yakuza queued haha. Not that its a bad thing mind you as I have wanted to play the games for a long time my backlog just hasn't let me and once I am done with Hyrule Warriors I might take a crack at that. My PS5 comes in a week and I really want to try the new Spiderman but it can wait.

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Because of you I now have Yakuza queued haha. Not that its a bad thing mind you as I have wanted to play the games for a long time my backlog just hasn't let me and once I am done with Hyrule Warriors I might take a crack at that. My PS5 comes in a week and I really want to try the new Spiderman but it can wait.

Great stuff. :D

Just remember to play them in order. 

• Subscriber

I have yet to play Ghosts (someone is gifting it to me for xmas :D) but hands down my favourite game was The Last of Us 2 and Its not even close. I am a massive TLOU fan but this game went to a whole new level and not only do I think it would be 100% deserving but it would be so great for it to win and shut up the hordes of morons and the backlash of so many people hating on the game for the countless hollow criticisms. I like the game so much I would venture to have it with the best PS4 games to date... maybe a toss up with God of War for #1.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Machado said:

I haven't been a gamer since I was like 19 but this post almost makes me want to buy a PS5 that I know I'll only use for a few months.

The only ones I've played are Fall Guys and Among Us, ahah.

I think those two were the best social games of the pandemic honestly. I can't think of any game with such widespread online love. The only other one is Animal Crossing. 

I'd probably go with Doom: Eternal as my game of the year. It was a very very good game and probably my standout game of the year.

I was going to say Jedi Fallen Order as an honourable mention... but it's a 2019 game so I won't. But it was one of the better games I'd played this year. 2019 seemed to have a lot more good games than this year - I imagine covid delaying/rushing many games I'd wanted to come out plays a part.

I'll give a special mention to a game I started playing this week but am enjoying a lot - Journey to the Savage Planet. It's a fun little adventure game on this weird planet. I tried it on gamepass because it looked fun and it doesn't take up much space on the hard drive... and I've been pleasantly surprised.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

AC Valhalla for me, i like a game with a good story, got bored of doom real fast, Jedi fallen order was not bad, started off great then went down hill  ..not played Cyber Punk yet, its next on the list after star wars squadrons 

I've been apprehensive about getting into AC at all just havent seen the lure yet. Might give it a try as a lot of people I know have been saying its really good. 

37 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I've been apprehensive about getting into AC at all just havent seen the lure yet. Might give it a try as a lot of people I know have been saying its really good. 

It's the 2nd best AC game after Odyssey for me, one of the best open world game's ever made 

Archived