• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2020 - Sakhir GP - 4-6th Dec, 2020

football forum

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Gutted for Russell but equally made up for Perez. Ocon too. Surely they have to put him (Perez) in the Red Bull next year? Albon had another utterly miserable race and I hope he gets another chance at Alpha Tauri alongside Gasly but his head has totally gone alongside Verstappen after a promising start, I don't see how he does any better next year.

Every aspect of Russell's performance today was Hamilton-esque. Really now would be the right time to replace Bottas with him but Valtteri already has the seat for another year. I think the move in 2022 is nailed on after this weekend. What an absolute kick in the teeth it is that Aitken, who had actually done a pretty impressive weekend up until that point, crashed Russell's normal car to spark the chain of events that cost him the win. It was probably the debris from that that gave him the puncture that caused him to lose the race for a second time. That move on Bottas though was absolutely brilliant.

Perez has been excellent over the last few races. Stroll did just enough earlier in the year to barely justify his place in the team alongside Vettel for next year. He'd obviously have kept the seat anyway but at least he put some results in that made it less embarrassing for the team to confirm they were keeping their clearly inferior driver. Since it was all confirmed, though, he's reverted to being an average driver who shows flashes of quality but no consistency.

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Albon had another utterly miserable race and I hope he gets another chance at Alpha Tauri alongside Gasly but his head has totally gone alongside Verstappen after a promising start, I don't see how he does any better next year.

I think Red Bull already confirmed that if (when?) Albon loses his RB seat, he will spend the next year on the sidelines; probably as a reserve/test driver. That Alpha Tauri seat has to be Tsunoda's surely, especially after he sealed his superlicense points yesterday and almost took the win today, missing out on the 2nd place in overall standings by just one point. 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

I think Red Bull already confirmed that if (when?) Albon loses his RB seat, he will spend the next year on the sidelines; probably as a reserve/test driver. That Alpha Tauri seat has to be Tsunoda's surely, especially after he sealed his superlicense points yesterday and almost took the win today, missing out on the 2nd place in overall standings by just one point. 

So you think a RB of Max and Checo, and AT of Tsunoda and Gasly? 

• Subscriber
Just now, Eco said:

So you think a RB of Max and Checo, and AT of Tsunoda and Gasly? 

I hope Max and Hülkenberg at RB, but yes, I do think that Perez getting a seat is more likely. Definitely Gasly and Tsunoda at Alpha Tauri.

45 minutes ago, nudge said:

I hope Max and Hülkenberg at RB, but yes, I do think that Perez getting a seat is more likely. Definitely Gasly and Tsunoda at Alpha Tauri.

I really still have a feeling that RB are going to stick with Albon. I love Hülkenberg, and I wish to see him back at F1, but Checo really made some solid arguments why it should be him in the last few weeks. xD

39 minutes ago, nudge said:

Russell gets to keep his points... Mercedes got a 20000€ fine for fitting Bottas' tyres to Russell's car.

Good. After all he's been through today, imagine if they scrapped him off his points. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I really still have a feeling that RB are going to stick with Albon. I love Hülkenberg, and I wish to see him back at F1, but Checo really made some solid arguments why it would be him in the last few weeks. xD

Good. After all he's been through today, imagine if they scrapped him off his points. 

I wouldn't be that surprised if they decided to stick with Albon either; especially for financial reasons. That would be a bad decision in my opinion, but anyway, my point was that Albon's definitely not going back to AT.

7 minutes ago, nudge said:

I wouldn't be that surprised if they decided to stick with Albon either; especially for financial reasons. That would be a bad decision in my opinion, but anyway, my point was that Albon's definitely not going back to AT.

Definitely agree about AT. Gasly has been the best thing since sliced bread in F1 this season, and Tsunoda was the same for F2. Just makes sense. 

Tsunoda is 1,59m btw. He's tiny. xD

• Subscriber

I feel for Albon. He actually looked as if he had potential in the first few races to be reasonably close enough to Verstappen to be an okay second driver. Things could have been very different I think if not for those collisions with Hamilton in Brazil and Austria. Not long after that he was really struggling and lost his confidence.

If Albon loses his seat in F1 altogether, then Perez goes into his car and he too is half a second off Verstappen all the time, just like Gasly who has been one of the standouts of this year was, then it's going to be hard to deny that Red Bull's problem with their second car is more down to them than the drivers they've put in it. Perhaps that's a factor in their decision making over whether to make the swap or not.

I don't think Gasly or Albon will return to the top team again apart from Albon possibly doing another year. Gasly could easily do a job for another midfield team, like Sainz has done after leaving the Red Bull stable. If Albon doesn't get another chance in the junior team you worry that he won't get the same opportunity to rebuild his reputation in that way.

But after letting Sainz slip through their fingers, and ruining Gasly, Albon and arguably Kvyat by promoting them too early, can't you just see them keeping Albon for 2021 and then swapping him for Tsunoda halfway through next year? 🙃

9 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

can't you just see them keeping Albon for 2021 and then swapping him for Tsunoda halfway through next year? 🙃

And then Tsunoda becomes the next Albon/Gasly. Red Bull gives you wings, and ruins your career. 

Anyway, deleted tweet from Mercedes. Kinda funny. xD

4q0nwvf2ym361.jpg

• The topic was unpinned

Archived