talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ronaldo Suspected of Tax Fraud

• Administrator

xDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxD

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40048229

Messi got so much shit from Ronaldo/Madridistas so would love to know their thoughts on this. Defrauded more than Messi as well...

Cristiano Ronaldo is facing possible charges of tax fraud in Spain.

Prosecutors have passed a file to the country's tax office, which will decide whether to press charges against the Portuguese Real Madrid striker.

Reports in Spain say Ronaldo, 32, is suspected of defrauding 15m euros(£13m) between 2011 and 2014.

In December, leaked documents suggested Ronaldo had avoided tax on income from image rights allegedly held in offshore accounts. He denied the claims.

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho was also implicated in those claims - published after an international consortium of journalists obtained a trove of about 18 million documents. He also denied the claims.

On Wednesday, Spain's Supreme Court confirmed a 21-month jail term handed down last year to Lionel Messi - but the Barcelona and Argentina forward is unlikely to go to prison.

Messi and his father Jorge, who manages his finances, were both convicted in 2016 of defrauding Spain of 4.1m euros (£3.5m) in taxes.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite surprising, actually. We've heard rumours that he does have tax issues in the past, so in that regard I wasn't surprised, but it's surprising that they would go after a Real Madrid player, and not just any Real Madrid player, but Cristiano Ronaldo. 

Will be interesting to see how this one plays out. 

• Subscriber

Can someone remind me how the laws for tax fraud got sorted in the Messi incident with no jail time. Was it that he agreed to pay the remainder and that let it all basically go under the rug as a slap on the wrist or was that the Spanish PC doing what the law actually states? If that's the case then Ronaldo has absolutely nothing to worry about just like Messi didn't. Its just pointing out that tax fraud has been committed and paying the amount lets you go on with your life like nothing ever happened.

Spain's weird 'less than two years' and you don't go to prison laws are part of the problem, but I do like the way they go after tax frauds unlike the piddling efforts of our government. Seeing them do some time would set a good example but at least we have the convictions, criminals like any common thief.

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Can someone remind me how the laws for tax fraud got sorted in the Messi incident with no jail time. Was it that he agreed to pay the remainder and that let it all basically go under the rug as a slap on the wrist or was that the Spanish PC doing what the law actually states? If that's the case then Ronaldo has absolutely nothing to worry about just like Messi didn't. Its just pointing out that tax fraud has been committed and paying the amount lets you go on with your life like nothing ever happened.

In Spain first time offenders who are sentenced for less than 2 years can serve it without jail time via probation. 

So Ronaldo doesn't have anything to worry about unless he's sentenced for two years or over. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Messiesta said:

In Spain first time offenders who are sentenced for less than 2 years can serve it without jail time via probation. 

So Ronaldo doesn't have anything to worry about unless he's sentenced for two years or over. 

Thank you for that I couldn't remember the specifics of why jail-time wasn't warranted in the first case and you're right Ronaldo has nothing to worry about either. 

26 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

With Cristiano I have no idea how that will finish because he's been running from the situation for a while now with parts of the government being hesitant to act (that's Spain for you).

Messi from the moment he was questioned (this before it even became public) paid what he owed (like many everywhere have done) and plus the possible fine (and some).  Still doesn't take away what Messi done, but for those that have been following these things for a while (the Cristiano detail has been going on for over a year) they'll know it's very different.

I've just read a piece in one of Spain's more prestigious newspapers 'El Mundo' which says that Cristiano defrauded the Spanish State of more than €15m and that's going big time.  There are also reports saying he's tried to cover it up by paying as much of it as possible (I have no idea what that means with what he earns) so as it wasn't to come out as international news (Messi done the same there to be honest although with a much lesser amount but none the less unforgivable).

The usual applies where if he manages to prove he personally knew nothing about it and is trying to right a wrong (as Messi done), then it will be harsh to give him anything over the 2 years which would then mean a prison sentence.  But there are massive differences between the two cases where Messi paid up even before he received his first warning and Cristiano running from the situation even embezzling money by putting it in his mother's name.  This could get nasty actually and Cristiano should've known better than to involve his own mother.  But then again he bought his son from its biological mother.

Hacienda ve indicios de delito en el caso de Cristiano ... - El Mundo

Archived