talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Would you buy your club?

football forum

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it depends really, would you try and buy a controlling stake in your club if you were happy with your current owners? Probably not. Would you try and gain a controlling stake in your club if your chairman was Francesco Becchetti, Massimo Cellino, The Oystons, The Venky's, SISU or Roland Duchelet? You probably would but you'd know that the reason you were doing it were because of the emotional attachment you had to your club, rather than thinking it would be a profitable business.

If I had the money and wanted to get involved in Football, I think I'd probably buy a very small non-league club and run it as a labour of love but run it sensibly and sustainably, rather than seeing it as a bit of fun. The first things I'd do would be bringing in an artificial pitch and upgrading the club's bar and catering facilities with the idea in mind that this would, hopefully, make the club operable 365 days of the year and would generate streams of income throughout the year, not just on matchdays. 

I'd rather invest money in youth sports (not just football) across Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire. Giving kids access to free facilities, coaching and enjoyable exercise. I'd rather trying to help as many people's lives rather than a select few. Obviously this may indirectly help Aberdeen Football Club, but that wouldn't be the aim.

• Subscriber
On 5/26/2017 at 6:22 AM, Berserker said:

Definitely, i would and firstly i would give the promising youngsters life contracts and then i would only sell the average players, no more selling wonderkinds, not for peanuts not for 100 fucking million.

That could knacker their long-term motivation though.

• Subscriber
On 5/27/2017 at 11:15 AM, Smiley Culture said:

I think it depends really, would you try and buy a controlling stake in your club if you were happy with your current owners? Probably not. Would you try and gain a controlling stake in your club if your chairman was Francesco Becchetti, Massimo Cellino, The Oystons, The Venky's, SISU or Roland Duchelet? You probably would but you'd know that the reason you were doing it were because of the emotional attachment you had to your club, rather than thinking it would be a profitable business.

If I had the money and wanted to get involved in Football, I think I'd probably buy a very small non-league club and run it as a labour of love but run it sensibly and sustainably, rather than seeing it as a bit of fun. The first things I'd do would be bringing in an artificial pitch and upgrading the club's bar and catering facilities with the idea in mind that this would, hopefully, make the club operable 365 days of the year and would generate streams of income throughout the year, not just on matchdays. 

I like your thinking. That's probably what I'd do with a local club as well. Been thinking lately about non-league in Leicestershire and it's actually appalling. Baffles me how bad Loughborough are.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Is either that or be frozen out/kicked out of the academy, university and all that comes attached to it.

I think based on that there's probably more to your academy than I realise.

Just now, Dan said:

I think based on that there's probably more to your academy than I realise.

Yeah we were the first club in the world to have it's own university (and museum), we bring lots of kids from poorer provinces and give them a place to stay, which otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford.

Archived