Atletico Madrid
Porto
Sevilla
Gladbach
Atalanta
RB Leipzig
Barcelona
Lazio

Draw on Monday 14th December 2021 at 11am (GMT)

Ties take place on 16-17/23-24th Feb (1st Legs) and 9-10/16-17 March (2nd Legs)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Sevilla vs Bayern Munich
RB Leipzig vs Real Madrid
Barcelona vs Man City
Porto vs Liverpool
Atalanta vs PSG
Atletico Madrid vs Borussia Dortmund
Gladbach vs Juventus
Lazio vs Chelsea

Heard it here first :ph34r:

• Administrator

Draw:

Borussia Monchengladbach vs Man City
Lazio vs Bayern Munich
Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea
RB Leipzig vs Liverpool
Porto vs Juventus
Barcelona vs PSG
Sevilla vs Borussia Dortmund
Atalanta vs Real Madrid

To be totally frank, I think Bayern are another level and then there's everyone else.

It's pretty open. The powerhouses of Real, Barca, Juve, PSG etc are no longer intimidating in this competition.

Long as you can avoid Bayern, you've as good a chance as any to progress.

1 hour ago, Rick said:

I’m just glad we avoided Atletico. Fuck them bastards. Still not good mind. 

You will be up against a team that will actually play some attacking football, as opposed to team that just parks the bus a lot of the time. It will be a tough test for Liverpool against last season's semi-finalists and an interesting challenge.  Certainly for the neutral, Liverpool against RB Leipzig promises to be a couple of entertaining games.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Michael said:

You will be up against a team that will actually play some attacking football, as opposed to team that just parks the bus a lot of the time. It will be a tough test for Liverpool against last season's semi-finalists and an interesting challenge.  Certainly for the neutral, Liverpool against RB Leipzig promises to be a couple of entertaining games.

One could argue that Liverpool do better against attacking football sides - leaving space in behind for the likes of Salah/Mane/Firmino to counter on.

I can see Liverpool going through as by Feb they might have been rid of their injuries and back to a near-full squad. Might still concede but might be too strong going forward for Leipzig.

Lazio are no mugs, but I would expect Bayern to comfortably beat them over two legs.

Chelsea against Atletico Madrid, Man City against Gladbach, Liverpool against RB Leipzig and Dortmund against Seville are all pretty evenly balanced in my opinion. PSG should overcome Barcelona, if they have all their players fit and ready. Real Madrid should also have too much for Atalanta over two legs. While Juventus were probably handed the easiest draw of all against Porto and they should edge past the Portuguese side.

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

One could argue that Liverpool do better against attacking football sides - leaving space in behind for the likes of Salah/Mane/Firmino to counter on.

I can see Liverpool going through as by Feb they might have been rid of their injuries and back to a near-full squad. Might still concede but might be too strong going forward for Leipzig.

Yes, I was thinking about the key injuries that Liverpool have had in defence so far this season. van Dijk should be back by then and so should Gomez. But then again, RB Leipzig have been hampered by some injuries in defence as well this season. They've gotten some players back now, but Klostermann is still out and he too should also be back in February.

I would definitely agree with the idea that Liverpool prefer playing against more attacking sides such as RB Leipzig, however, Leipzig have proven their credentials and this does look like a close matched encounter if both teams have their best players available. Liverpool will go in as favourites as they won the Champions League the year before last, but I still think that it should be quite a close affair.

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Yes, I was thinking about the key injuries that Liverpool have had in defence so far this season. van Dijk should be back by then and so should Gomez. But then again, RB Leipzig have been hampered by some injuries in defence as well this season. They've gotten some players back now, but Klostermann is still out and he too should also be back in February.

I would definitely agree with the idea that Liverpool prefer playing against more attacking sides such as RB Leipzig, however, Leipzig have proven their credentials and this does look like a close matched encounter if both teams have their best players available. Liverpool will go in as favourites as they won the Champions League the year before last, but I still think that it should be quite a close affair.

No way are Van Dijk or Gomez back for these games. By the sounds of everything, they’ll be lucky to play any part at all. But if we have Thiago back (I’d hope so) we won’t miss Fabinho as much in the midfield. Jota will be back by then as well I hope. 

27 minutes ago, Rick said:

No way are Van Dijk or Gomez back for these games. By the sounds of everything, they’ll be lucky to play any part at all. But if we have Thiago back (I’d hope so) we won’t miss Fabinho as much in the midfield. Jota will be back by then as well I hope. 

Yeah, my bad, I saw a headline saying van Dijk was back in training recently, so I assumed he wouldn't be out for too long. But having just read the extent of his injury, it seems like he won't be back playing by February. Thiago returning should be a huge boost to the Liverpool team though and Jota's return will also be welcomed with open arms. Those two were shrewd signings by Klopp this summer and they have both improved an already impressive Liverpool squad.

• 2 months later...
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived