talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Celtic & Rangers in England?

football forum

Would Celtic and Rangers find success in England?   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would Celtic and Rangers find success in England?

• Yes - They're both winning machines
    • No - The only thing Scotland has ever done right is Haggis
    • Only Celtic would have success, Rangers have fallen too far

football forum

"Could we play in the Premier League? Yes we could," he said. "This is one of the great iconic clubs in the world so there is no doubt that with this group we could go in. Imagine the backing then. Celtic would be one of the minimum top four, top six clubs in the English Premier League and then that puts you on a different level altogether." - Brendan Rodgers

Yes, yes, yes I know we've been over it a million times but we've not done it on this forum. For the past 20 years or so there have been a handful of whispers and a fair few shouts about Glasgow Celtic and Glasgow Rangers making the move down South into the greatest country in the world. The question is how would they do? Some believe that they would continue their dominance and fight for the Premier League whilst others think that they would struggle to avoid relegation. 

Just how would Celtic and Rangers fare if they moved to England and do you think it would benefit them? 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Celtic have benefited from Rangers' problems over the last few years so at the moment I reckon they could be around Everton's level but "top 4, top 6 minimum"? No.

Rangers would struggle to get near the top half.

I think Celtic would be competing for a Europa League qualification place through the league. 

They are a huge club with a large global fanbase. They have supporters clubs in many different countries from Japan to Honduras to Kenya, and of course they are very popular in the USA and Australia. Put them in the Premier League and their TV revenue would transform from peanuts in Scotland to huge riches year after year, their sponsorship and merchandising revenue would shoot up, as would their gates receipts as they could charge higher ticket prices. They would quickly become one of the richest clubs in Europe. They might lose of fraction of their fanbase who only root for them because they keep winning trophies in Scotland, but I still don't think they would have much trouble filling Parkhead for Premier League games. 

Celtic in the Premier League would become an attractive proposition for potential signings in my opinion. 

I have traditionally thought of Celtic as being the third biggest club in the UK behind Man Utd and Liverpool, with the size of their global fanbase and the European Cup in their trophy cabinet. Obviously Arsenal in particular and also Chelsea might have something to say about that. 

• Subscriber

If Celtic and Rangers, particularly the former, were in the league then they would become very powerful clubs. Celtic in particular I think could become one of the biggest in Europe.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

Atletico got farther than Barcelona, does that mean they had a better season overall?:34_rolling_eyes: lmao, you probably think the "coach of the year" had a better year than Rodgers too huh? xD

Well, they got further in Europe and neither won the league.

Absolutely not one bit of evidence they're a better side than us. I'd love to see Celtic beat Sevilla over two legs.

They're a decent side but they've walked a shocking league. I've no doubt we'd do similar.

As they are, no they wouldn't. But it wouldn't take long for them to use the resources available in England to work their way up the leagues and it wouldn't take long for two gigantic clubs like themselves to be at the top of English football.

The Old Firm derby would be the most watched derby in the Premier League without a doubt.

They'd be able to attract better players and better players than West Brom.

However Celtic and Rangers are not bigger than the likes of Leeds United and Aston Villa so it can go any way.

They obviously wouldn't be top 4 unless they had a super rich backer giving them more money than they make. If they are going to be top 4 then that means they have to displace someone in the top 4, and displace Man Utd and Arsenal as well. That would be near impossible without extra funds or the luck of the right manager.

11 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Prem would be too much for them  ..if they joined they should start at the bottom and work there why up

Agreed. But with the increased exposure and the huge brand they already have they would definitely be capable of top half finishes with time. They would enhance the English leagues competitiveness. 

There are 6 big clubs already though so would become very tough to finish to 4 consistently. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Agreed. But with the increased exposure and the huge brand they already have they would definitely be capable of top half finishes with time. They would enhance the English leagues competitiveness. 

There are 6 big clubs already though so would become very tough to finish to 4 consistently. 

How many Celtic players would get in a top half team?  ..Patrick Roberts aside who's a City player, don't think any of them would

Celtic would probably be around mid-table but they wouldn't be top 6 like Rodgers reckons, yet more delusion from him.

Rangers would be near the bottom, if not at the bottom

1 hour ago, Happy Blue said:

How many Celtic players would get in a top half team?  ..Patrick Roberts aside who's a City player, don't think any of them would

I'm saying they are relegation/championship level teams right now. With time though they would improve.

Given the funding and royalties the current Premier League sides get, Celtic and Rangers, less so Rangers due to their issues, would both be relatively successful in England. 

Celtic have massive potential in the Premier League. They're a global side already and that would only grow if in the Premier League. 

Rangers need to be ran far better but you could say exactly the same as what I've said above. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Given the funding and royalties the current Premier League sides get, Celtic and Rangers, less so Rangers due to their issues, would both be relatively successful in England. 

Celtic have massive potential in the Premier League. They're a global side already and that would only grow if in the Premier League. 

Rangers need to be ran far better but you could say exactly the same as what I've said above. 

The TV money would help them build a team  ...if they made it to the Prem from divison 2

Celtic were only ranked in the top 60 of the latest football richest list, but if they were in the Premier League they quickly soar into the top 20 without any trouble at all. Of course they would lose their Champions League revenue as they currently qualify every year, but that they would enjoy so many other revenue increases in other areas for that to not be an important factor. The move would also re-energise a lot of their fans in the UK and worldwide, many of whom have grown bored of the SPL and facing teams 4 times a season, since the Strachan or even the O'Neill days. 

And they would probably become an attractive proposition for foreign investment as well, given their size, appeal and global fanbase. They are quite well know in Mexico because of their links with Santos Laguna, and I've seen Celtic tops in Panama as well. 

At this minute in time, I think it would still be laughable to claim that any Premier League club other than Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea are a bigger club than them, and it's still debatable with Chelsea. 

Of course the Premier League is congested at the top these days with a lot of competition and similarly matched teams, so it would be a very tough task to finish in the top 6 let alone the top 4. 

Only Manchester United and Liverpool are bigger clubs than Celtic in English football, Chelsea-Arsenal have nowhere near the prestige and history of such a European giant that contributed such a great deal to football history. Rangers too are a huge club, that would be easily capable of being around the top 5-6 within a few years.

16 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Only Manchester United and Liverpool are bigger clubs than Celtic in English football, Chelsea-Arsenal have nowhere near the prestige and history of such a European giant that contributed such a great deal to football history. Rangers too are a huge club, that would be easily capable of being around the top 5-6 within a few years.

Yeah you're right actually.

I guess Arsenal's global fanbase has grown tremendously in the 21st century (I think they are the most popular Premier League club in Africa) as has Chelsea's in recent years, and of course they generate huge revenues and just the fact that they are based in London carries a lot of weight. But I would still find it difficult to rank either one of them as bigger clubs than Celtic, especially Chelsea. Obviously Man Utd and Liverpool are clearly bigger. 

Beyond that no other English clubs come close. 

I've always thought of Celtic as being bigger than Rangers as they won the European Cup in 1967 and reached another final in 1970. That outweighs Rangers's additional league titles. And they do appear to have more fans worldwide. I know that Rangers cannot compete with Celtic in North America, which one of their directors publicly admitted once, of course helped by the Irish american factor. That's why Celtic have traditionally played far more pre-season friendlies in the USA than Rangers have.

Plus Celtic have traditionally signed players from further afield than Rangers, i.e. Nakamura from Japan, Juarez from Mexico, Ki from South Korea etc, increasing their popularity and brand in those large and lucrative markets. Rangers from memory (which could easily be wrong) traditionally haven't signed played from outside European or English speaking countries 

The current Celtic squad would probably be able to to stay up, and from there one could imagine the insane boost to revenue could lead to Celtic settling around the top-6 within some years. The lack of a sugar daddy, as well as the gap in terms of marketing presence in the American and Asian markets would make it extremely hard to become one of the very top clubs without possibly decades of development. 

As for Rangers, considering the budget they're operating on, it wouldn't be fair to even discuss their prospects in the PL in terms of current competitive ability. They're for sure a bigger club than most of the PL, but their current squad is atrocious. 

Archived