talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Celtic & Rangers in England?

football forum

Would Celtic and Rangers find success in England?   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would Celtic and Rangers find success in England?

• Yes - They're both winning machines
    • No - The only thing Scotland has ever done right is Haggis
    • Only Celtic would have success, Rangers have fallen too far

The problem would be advancing within the Premier League. Even Liverpool can't attract players as good as some of the others. Money does not guarantee you good enough players. You can easily become trapped like Everton where they have money to buy better than what is behind them but the players to go beyond that won't join them.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

The problem would be advancing within the Premier League. Even Liverpool can't attract players as good as some of the others. Money does not guarantee you good enough players. You can easily become trapped like Everton where they have money to buy better than what is behind them but the players to go beyond that won't join them.

My thoughts exactly. As much as they'll get access to much more money the fact they will not initially be guaranteed qualifying for European football will become an issue in getting players in.

22 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Spurs were in that mound and look to have broken out of it, for now. I think there is room for manoeuvre now, the boundaries aren't as clear cut as they were even 5 years ago.

• Subscriber

Spurs have succeeded because they've spent years actually having some common sense in the transfer market, buying young, quality players like Bale and Modric, and then when they lose them for big money, don't splash out massive transfer fees on high risk "star" players to replace them, instead spend the money on improving the squad as a whole. It's actually remarkably simple. While Man Utd spend £30m on a 30 year old van Persie because they *HAVE* to win the title this season before letting him go for peanuts after 2 years, and Man City splash £50m on players like Sterling and Stones who will never be more than quite good, start most games players for them, Tottenham make shrewd acquisitions at the right time.

It's an absolute myth that people spout now that you have to pay £30m for any player good enough to compete in the top half of the Premier League. The value is still there overseas and in investing and nurturing young English talent from the lower leagues. In the last three years they're still finding Wanyama £12m, Alli £6m, Davies £11m, Trippier £4m, Alderweireld £14m. That's why it pisses me off that people think £28m for Bolasie is a good deal, or Enner Valencia for £10m would be a reasonable price.

David Moyes was a genius for us following the "Spurs model" for a while to be fair to him, the club was just too riddled with debt for us to reinvest enough of the money each time for us to push on and do what Tottenham have done.

Obviously, Spurs have had to get the right manager at the right time to make the most of the opportunity they've given themselves and it doesn't do any harm when you bring a 30 goal a season striker through your youth system just at the right time either. I don't like them but credit to them for what they've done in making a lot of those running "bigger" clubs look stupid.

• Subscriber

Great post above. The blind eye turned to the money totally blown is frightening and it's indicative of the complacency that's crept into English football. If £15mil is spent on a player it is reasonable to assume that they will deliver at this level and if they don't it's abject failure in my eyes.

4 hours ago, Dan said:

Great post above. The blind eye turned to the money totally blown is frightening and it's indicative of the complacency that's crept into English football. If £15mil is spent on a player it is reasonable to assume that they will deliver at this level and if they don't it's abject failure in my eyes.

£15m gets you a top Championship striker mate, definitely not reasonable to expect that they'll perform at Prem standards. Which is a bad thing.

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Danny said:

£15m gets you a top Championship striker mate, definitely not reasonable to expect that they'll perform at Prem standards. Which is a bad thing.

£15mil gets you a top Championship striker if you're not scouting properly.

We signed Ndidi for £15mil in January. I confidently say he's someone who'll spend the bulk of his career, of which there are years left, playing at this level.

1 minute ago, Dan said:

£15mil gets you a top Championship striker if you're not scouting properly.

We signed Ndidi for £15mil in January. I confidently say he's someone who'll spend the bulk of his career playing at this level.

Who scouts properly in the Championship if they can afford £15m on a striker? xD

Archived