talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

West Ham Sign Pablo Zabaleta

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

90k a week for an ageing full back - West Ham never change.

If they were a couple of players away from challenging and needed some experience with a young squad then fine - but they're not.

Should be focusing on youth not this sort of signing.

It wouldn't surprise me if West Ham's transfer policy will be to sign well known experienced players no longer in their prime on big money this summer as a way to try and attract more people to there new stadium on match day. Odd really as given the success of Antonio and Cresswell you'd think they'd try and exploit the talent in The Championship.

• Subscriber

I don't think this is that good a signing. I don't look at it and think I wish we'd gotten him. We need another right back as well.

He seems a great character but best days well behind him.

4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

It looks as though we dodged a bullet with Sam Byram too, he's had a pretty shit start to life in London and he's now having has-been's signed in his position. 

He should return to Leeds.

He's really not got going yet. Injuries, lack of confidence, West Ham struggling have all contributed to his form. Definitely hasn't shown anything like the player we brought through and developed into a decent prospect. That said, I think it would be premature for West Ham to bin him off. Still convinced he's a decent little player.

11 hours ago, Dan said:

With the greatest respect I can't see a right back Man City released attracting many more through the gates.

I agree, but the guy can be portrayed as a world cup finalist who has won multiple major trophies. West Ham will be in for those sort of players.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I agree, but the guy can be portrayed as a world cup finalist who has won multiple major trophies. West Ham will be in for those sort of players.

exactly. west ham have won World Cups before so maybe they just want to go back to basics. 

On 2017-5-26 at 6:22 PM, Storts said:

90k a week for an ageing full back - West Ham never change.

If they were a couple of players away from challenging and needed some experience with a young squad then fine - but they're not.

Should be focusing on youth not this sort of signing.

Totally agree mate, I'm surprised people are regarding this as a good signing. He's not the same player he once was and he has had injury issues in the past 2 seasons.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Totally agree mate, I'm surprised people are regarding this as a good signing. He's not the same player he once was and he has had injury issues in the past 2 seasons.

Yeah so am I, but people see the names and don't really think about the wider picture. 

6 minutes ago, Storts said:

Yeah so am I, but people see the names and don't really think about the wider picture. 

It's definitely not a business model that should be followed. It's when mid table teams fall in to the 'marquee' signing trap they find themselves in trouble.

1 hour ago, Storts said:

I totally agree that West ham are notorious for this approach and I'm not a fan of building. team that way but they don't have the foundations of a good side already.

West Ham have just come off the back of a shocking season. They leaked goals with ease. Maybe experience is what they need for the short term. Bilic is on thin ice now, if the first 6-10 games don't go to plan, he's gone. I don't know if he has time to take gamble's on younger players in established in the league when he has someone like Zabaleta available. And they can't afford to get relegated whatsoever now.

He may not be what he was but it's a different kettle of fish playing for City and West Ham. It will suit his game better to be more contained at West Ham, where as at City, Pep wants wing backs to press high and that exploits Zabaleta's weakness. Hense why he wants a Kyle Walker who can provide that energy.

Archived