talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Your Favourite Movie of All Time?

football forum

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Your Favourite Movie of All Time?
  • Subscriber

Probably Ridley's original Alien (1979). Fresh concept, I was very young and impressionable and it was very good considering the budget they were working on. Still gives me chills. 

Might even throw Carpenter's The Thing (1982) in there because apart from the animatronics the very fact that you have no idea what the ending could have been is great director/writing work. 

In Germany in 1984 I met a young guy named Riener - he was taking part in a film soon to be released for German TV and which almost documented the problems cause by the Wall and young guys coping with what has since become the LGBT movement.  I was also lucky to see The Waltons who sing the old Toni Fisher hit 'West Of The Wall' in the film (great version) and this will not be everyone's type of story, but WESTLER is worth a watch!

• Subscriber

Bloody hell, it would be a toss-up between the WWII movie The Longest Day or Clint Eastwood in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, but it has to be The Longest Day as that was an actual part of world history that actually happened, I can't say how many times I have watched that and (the b&w version when it was first released was the best), but it must be well over 100 times since it was released in 1962. 

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, nudge said:

This is impossible, but if I had to choose, I'd probably go for The Thin Red Line.

Thats a good shout, fantastic movie. Ive still yet to watch the redux though just cus of time xD

Real tough choice. Off the top maybe Gladiator? Absolutely love that film but ive always had an affection for the history of that era too. If not that maybe Hero, just stylistically and storywise a perfect film. 

13 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Thats a good shout, fantastic movie. Ive still yet to watch the redux though just cus of time xD

Real tough choice. Off the top maybe Gladiator? Absolutely love that film but ive always had an affection for the history of that era too. If not that maybe Hero, just stylistically and storywise a perfect film. 

Gladiator is up there for me. I studied Classical Civilisation and the way Rome was digitally recreated is stunning. Russel Crowe with a powerhouse performance as well. Truly glorious.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Viva la FCB said:

Yeah, it left such a huge impression on me back then; a masterpiece. Visually stunning, contemplative, poetic, existentialist, epic, intimate but not sentimental, and, as expected from Malick, delves deep into exploring the human condition. But it was probably the contrast of the beauty in nature and the ugliness of war, death, and destruction that completely blew me away, and also some parts of the dialogue (and monologue) by Jim Caviezel's and Sean Penn's characters which has stuck with me for years. The cinematography, the casting and acting, the score - everything about it is superb and, frankly, close to perfection. 

It's either The Thin Red Line or 2001: A Space Odyssey for me, but if I had to choose just one, The Thin Red Line just edges it... 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Gladiator is up there for me. I studied Classical Civilisation and the way Rome was digitally recreated is stunning. Russel Crowe with a powerhouse performance as well. Truly glorious.

A man of culture I see. Too many great things about it, Joaquin Phoenix was a really really good caesar, Russel Crowe of course as you say. That first battle scene against the Germanic tribe was an amazing set up. 

Looks like I got some movie rewatching to do over the holidays. 

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah, it left such a huge impression on me back then; a masterpiece. Visually stunning, contemplative, poetic, existentialist, epic, intimate but not sentimental, and, as expected from Malick, delves deep into exploring the human condition. But it was probably the contrast of the beauty in nature and the ugliness of war, death, and destruction that completely blew me away, and also some parts of the dialogue (and monologue) by Jim Caviezel's and Sean Penn's characters which has stuck with me for years. The cinematography, the casting and acting, the score - everything about it is superb and, frankly, close to perfection. 

Thats what I really remembering sticking out to me and what seperated it from the other war films, Shaving Ryans Privates was one thing but just doesnt compare to what Malick put together. Maybe the closest comparison i can come up with would be Dunkirk. I really owe it a rewatch and I do need to do the redux thats at the top of my list for the holiday rewatch now :D 

"The Best Years of Our Lives" for me. 

I just love the optimism that film brings. It shows that it's possible to have hope and start afresh. 

The message really resonates to me, especially considering it comes from generation that faced the Depression and then WWII.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Thats what I really remembering sticking out to me and what seperated it from the other war films, Shaving Ryans Privates was one thing but just doesnt compare to what Malick put together. Maybe the closest comparison i can come up with would be Dunkirk. I really owe it a rewatch and I do need to do the redux thats at the top of my list for the holiday rewatch now :D 

Shaving Ryans Privates xD The only good thing about that movie was the D-Day landing sequence anyway. 

For me, the only war movie that comes close to The Thin Red Line is probably Letters from Iwo Jima... 

11 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

A man of culture I see. Too many great things about it, Joaquin Phoenix was a really really good caesar, Russel Crowe of course as you say. That first battle scene against the Germanic tribe was an amazing set up. 

Looks like I got some movie rewatching to do over the holidays. 

I need my PS5 so I can buy the 4K digitally remastered version. That first scene is haunting.  I believe it was filmed in the UK somewhere. The part where they light the arrows and fire the catapults is genuinely astonishing.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

"The Best Years of Our Lives" for me. 

I just love the optimism that film brings. It shows that it's possible to have hope and start afresh. 

The message really resonates to me, especially considering it comes from generation that faced the Depression and then WWII.

A brilliant film that, first watched it when I was a wee nipper sitting beside my mum, dad & sisters and have watched it again many a time over the years but now with the wife as my mum & dad have passed away years ago.

The performance of Harold Russell as ex Petty Officer Homer Parish who actually lost both of his hands during WWII and he was one of only two non-professional actors to win an Academy Award for acting the part of the latter, the film was funny yet sad how life went on after WWII, and whenever I see that film I think back to my old man when he was alive and the stories he would tell about his service in the submarines during the war.

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I need my PS5 so I can buy the 4K digitally remastered version. That first scene is haunting.  I believe it was filmed in the UK somewhere. The part where they light the arrows and fire the catapults is genuinely astonishing.

Unleash Hell! I cant think of a better demonstration of the superior strats and tech they had.

30 minutes ago, nudge said:

Also @Viva la FCB where do I find the redux? Would love to watch it myself...

I know I have it with the dvd copy I bought  a billion years ago, not sure if you can find it for free online or not. Also Iwo Jima is a good shout too actually that was really well done. I think weve talked about this before cus it was funny in comparison how big a steaming pile o shit Flags was. 

Archived