talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Erdoğan accuses Germany of 'Nazi practices' over blocked political rallies

football forum

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/05/erdogan-accuses-germany-of-nazi-practices-over-blocked-election-rallies

Erdoğan accuses Germany of 'Nazi practices' over blocked political rallies

Turkish president campaigning for more powers says Germany is not respecting opinion and thought after stopping events

The Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has lashed out at Germany for blocking several rallies on its soil in the run-up to a referendum in Turkey, likening its stance to Nazi practices.

“Your practices are not different from the Nazi practices of the past,” he said of Germany at a women’s rally in Istanbul before the referendum on changes to the constitution that would bolster his powers as president.

“I thought it’s been a long time since Germany left [Nazi practices]. We are mistaken,” he added.

Last week federal authorities in two German states withdrew permission for political rallies targeted at Turkish residents in Germany amid growing public outrage over Ankara’s arrest of a Turkish-German journalist.

Authorities in Cologne, in North-Rhine Westphalia, and Gaggenau, in Baden-Württemberg, cited security concerns for the cancellations. An appearance at a Cologne hotel by Turkey’s minister for the economy, Nihat Zeybekci, was scheduled to go ahead with increased police security.

Last week Angela Merkel rejected calls for a general ban on Erdoğan or his ministers campaigning in Germany, with her spokesperson arguing that it was important to respect freedom of speech.

“The German government deplores the fact that freedom of speech and freedom of the press are currently limited in Turkey to an unacceptable degree,” Steffen Seibert said. “If we deplore this in another country, then we should be even more alert to make sure that freedom of speech is respected, within the framework of the law, in our own country. We should demonstrate what we demand from others.”

The cancellations have infuriated the Turkish government, which accused Berlin of working against the yes campaign in next month’s referendum and summoned the German ambassador to the foreign ministry in protest.

“You will lecture us about democracy and then you will not let this country’s ministers speak there,” said Erdoğan, adding that Germany was not “respecting opinion and thought”.

The Nazi comparison represents a major escalation of diplomatic relations between the two countries. Last summer a number of Turkish newspapers allied to the ruling AK party likened Merkel to Hitler after a German court banned Erdoğan from addressing a crowd in Cologne via a live videolink.

“Germany, which has never escaped its Nazi past, has let slip its mask,” the Takvim newspaper wrote at the time. “It has shown once again that it is no friend and ally.” Another newspaper, Akşam, ran a photomontage on its front page showing the German chancellor with a toothbrush moustache, along with the words “Heil Hitler”.

Similar photomontages have appeared in Greek and Polish newspapers in the past, but for a head of state to use the same rhetoric is almost without precedent. In 2013 Hungary’s prime minister, Viktor Orbán, compared Merkel’s policy towards his country to 1944 Nazi occupation, stating in a radio interview that “the Germans have already sent cavalry to Hungary – they came in the form of tanks … It didn’t work out.”

The German government press office said it would not be making a statement on Erdoğan’s comments. But some German politicians criticised the Nazi comparison. The Green MP Volker Beck, who was arrested at a gay pride event in Istanbul in June 2016, tweeted: “Now he [Erdoğan] has lost it.”
On Saturday Merkel called Turkey’s prime minister, Binali Yıldırım, to try to defuse the row. The two countries’ foreign ministers are scheduled to meet in Germany on Wednesday.

In an op-ed in Bild am Sonntag newspaper, Germany’s foreign minister, Sigmar Gabriel, described the war of words as a “difficult stress test” and warned that “the basis for friendship between our two countries must not be allowed to be destroyed”.

Relations between Turkey and Germany lurched into crisis after the arrest last week of Deniz Yücel, a correspondent for Die Welt, pending a trial on charges of propaganda and incitement to hatred. Erdoğan claimed the journalist was a German spy and a representative of the outlawed Kurdish rebel group PKK.

Erdoğan accused Berlin of harbouring him for a month at the German consulate in Istanbul before agreeing to hand him over to authorities. “They need to be put on trial for aiding and abetting terrorism,” Erdoğan said during a speech on Friday.

Turkish-German relations have been repeatedly put to the test since Merkel acted as one of the key architects of a refugee deal between Turkey and the European Union. Originally designed to put an end to chaotic people-smuggling practices on the Mediterranean, critics say it has allowed Erdoğan to blackmail Merkel’s government by threatening to cancel the agreement.

Merkel was accused of kowtowing to the Turkish leader last April after acceding to a request from Ankara to prosecute a comedian, Jan Böhmermann, who had read out an offensive poem about Erdoğan on his TV show. Charges against Böhmermann were later dropped.

During the current diplomatic crisis, the German chancellor is again being accused of acting too passively, and the weekly Der Spiegel called for an alternative to the Turkey deal. “It is high time to free ourselves from Erdoğan’s chains,” an op-ed in its latest edition argued.

This is like satire :D The guy who keeps arresting journalists and politicians who oppose him, who potentially staged a coup to gain more power, who wants to bring a so to say dictatorship to Turkey, accuses another country of Nazi-Methods xD

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

The guy is practically a terrorist in today's terminology.  He is one of the dodgiest "big" leaders in the world today.

I have been to Turkey a few times but you can see now it is getting more islamic,  a lot of the areas that are western will be probably islamic very soon.  

1 minute ago, VanPanna said:

I have been to Turkey a few times but you can see now it is getting more islamic,  a lot of the areas that are western will be probably islamic very soon.  

I've been a few times to from Istanbul to the northern Black Sea regions.  You're right that it has been "Islamified" in a bad way but that's not even the issue.  It's the harbouring in all fashions and the blatant disregard for decency.  His direction as a governmental leader is disgusting and it's almost dictatorial (actually it is and makes Trump look like a chump.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

I've been a few times to from Istanbul to the northern Black Sea regions.  You're right that it has been "Islamified" in a bad way but that's not even the issue.  It's the harbouring in all fashions and the blatant disregard for decency.  His direction as a governmental leader is disgusting and it's almost dictatorial (actually it is and makes Trump look like a chump.

He is up there with one of the worst leaders but while he lets America use their positions in Turkey so they and other countries turn a blind eye on his leadership,  even though America did indirectly organise the Coup on him last year.

1 minute ago, VanPanna said:

He is up there with one of the worst leaders but while he lets America use their positions in Turkey so they and other countries turn a blind eye on his leadership,  even though America did indirectly organise the Coup on him last year.

I would say he organised the coup on himself (maybe with the help of the Americans)...  He hasn't got any standards and is like a loose missile.  Infact I would say he is one of the most dangerous men in power anywhere right now.

What's laughable is his statement on Naziism.  It's absurd!

15 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Which is why his statement probably has a double meaning and some kind of madness behind it.  Something dangerous!

Thats the problem the same as in Holland, Turks live like Turks plus they have dual nationality which is forbidden with any other nation otherwise you have to give up your Dutch citizenship but Turkey and Morocco are the only countries that can have a dual since 2014.   This is another reason because Erdogan has a hold on them as he sees them part of his Army of support and spreading the Islamic rule across Europe to become another Ottoman Empire, that is why he is trying to get this EU Free travel for Turks.

Turkey and Greece is going a bit out of control, Turkish Army planes flew over 100 times in Greek airspace within a day, Turkey also have warships near a Greek island, unless Greece hand over the service men who fled to Turkey after the failed coup.

It'll be interesting to see how that pans out!

I don't see Greece standing back continuously and they've probably been told by the EU to stand back and not react.  Turkey is a key piece for the EU for so many reasons and the Greeks just keep on being used by them in all sorts of humiliating manners.  I only wish Greece had've had the balls to go the whole hog a couple of years back.

What Greece should do is send a missile through the cockpit of one of those planes and penetrate the arse of the pilot flying it.

On 3/5/2017 at 6:33 PM, VanPanna said:

I've heard that from others too.  I really struggle to understand why other religions are stagnating while Islam continues to gather followers like flies on a turd.

20 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

I want to request opinion on which are the scenarios predicted if Cerdogan actually loses the Would you like Turkey to become a dictatorship? referendum.

Thanks and best regards.

Is this the real Kowabunga? 

Portsmouth???

18 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Is this the real Kowabunga? 

Portsmouth???

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

15 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

O.o

What about blueberry crumble... What about that! Can you make some? :x

28 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

Una cerveza por favor.

• 5 years later...
  • Subscriber
On 05/03/2017 at 21:41, SirBalon said:

The guy is practically a terrorist in today's terminology.  He is one of the dodgiest "big" leaders in the world today.

So true.

Archived