Liverpool - DDWWD

Last 3 Meetings
01/02/2020 - Liverpool 4-0 Southampton
17/08/2019 - Southampton 1-2 Liverpool
05/04/2019 - Southampton 1-3 Liverpool

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Southampton vs Liverpool - Monday 4th January, 2021
  • Administrator
13 minutes ago, N U F C said:

Thought you'd maybe been on the :hh: last night xD

Drank enough over the past week or so to give it a break for one or two nights now xD 

• Subscriber

This one is a difficult one to call. Liverpool have only managed draws against two of the weakest teams in the league and now have United breathing down their necks so 3 points is a must for them. Southampton won't be an easy opposition though as they're in great form. 

3 hours ago, Pyfish said:

This one is a difficult one to call. Liverpool have only managed draws against two of the weakest teams in the league and now have United breathing down their necks so 3 points is a must for them. Southampton won't be an easy opposition though as they're in great form. 

We’ve been pretty poor for a while and it’s easy to beat us imo. Just defend deep as fuck and attack our defense at Nat Phillips or Rhys Williams and you’ll get good chances.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We’ve been pretty poor for a while and it’s easy to beat us imo. Just defend deep as fuck and attack our defense at Nat Phillips or Rhys Williams and you’ll get good chances.

I can't accept this sort of negativity. We were poor against Fulham and West Brom. The Newcastle result was annoying and our finishing wasn't good enough on the night. Our overall play was much better than it was in the other two games I mentioned though. I'd also say that losing one game in the league so far this season and that being thirteen games ago suggests we're not easy to beat despite the injury problems.

This is a game where a draw would be acceptable in isolation. I think the last two results makes it must win at this stage though

• Subscriber

We'll win this one. Its these kinds of teams that we will beat and thats no slight on Southampton who are in very good form right now. Our attack flourishes when teams actually try and attack us so I expect this to be a game we win. 

2 hours ago, Rick said:

I’m confident that we will beat these lot. Be interested to see if Thiago starts or if he’s given more than 15 mins a bit later on.  I think it’s an absolute must win though. 

It's not an absolute must win really is it? I mean, even if we lose our second game of the season when we are only half way through it, we will still be there or there abouts at the top of the table.

Unless you think we are out of it if we don't win? Which would be absolutely ludicrous to be honest. 

I think Liverpool are catching Saints just at the right time.

Southampton seem to have lost momentum, going 4 games without a win, just lost McCarthy to Covid, Vestegaard out and Adams looks like he's struggling too. Strong vibes Liverpool will take advantage of that.

After two draws and both their main rivals from Manchester winning the weekend, you do feel its important they respond psychologically.

6 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I'm weirdly apathetic about this and the rest of our matches in January because they're the least important days in the month as far as I'm concrned

If we sign a CB we'll win the league; if not, we won't. Results in Jan won't change that

What if we sign a CB that takes time to settle or takes time to learn our system?

Very simplistic point of view that. 

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

It's not an absolute must win really is it? I mean, even if we lose our second game of the season when we are only half way through it, we will still be there or there abouts at the top of the table.

Unless you think we are out of it if we don't win? Which would be absolutely ludicrous to be honest. 

It is, because the next league game is Utd and if they beat us and we lose this then it’ll be a big confidence zapper seeing those rats above. Not beating West Brom & Newcastle has made a win here very important for us. 

7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

What if we sign a CB that takes time to settle or takes time to learn our system?

Very simplistic point of view that. 

I honestly think you're underestimating how much of an upgrade any Premier League standard defender would be over Phillips and Williams, and how much they'd improve our midfield by allowing us to play Fabinho there from time to time. Obviously any centre back we sign needs to be able to slot in quickly, but that should be how we identify targets

9 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

I honestly think you're underestimating how much of an upgrade any Premier League standard defender would be over Phillips and Williams, and how much they'd improve our midfield by allowing us to play Fabinho there from time to time. Obviously any centre back we sign needs to be able to slot in quickly, but that should be how we identify targets

But then you have the problem of convincing such a player to come, knowing that when VVD etc are fit it will be a real fight to be first choice. 

Then you have the problem of convincing a club to sell you a CB that is well adapted to the Premier League, weakening them half way through a season. 

All easier said than done im afraid.

I was quite relaxed about the CB situation but you can see how it's affecting us not just defensively but offensively now too. It would be nice to have a player that would allow the team to push a bit further up and keep teams under the constant pressure they'd be under if our usual CBs were there. That means you can't just get any old Premier League plodder though just because they're 'experienced'. Thiago will help offensively if he stays fit

I think any signing from abroad would mean that we'd have to get one out too as we're currently at the limit? So you'd need to find a buyer for Origi for example

• Administrator
Just now, MUFC said:

Saints are missing missing Vestergaard, Redmond and McCarthy.

McCarthy probably the biggest miss out of those 3. Vestergaard is massive but slow, so against players like Salah and Mane, he'd struggle. Redmond can be very hit and miss.

Liverpool win 2-0 I reckon.

8 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

But then you have the problem of convincing such a player to come, knowing that when VVD etc are fit it will be a real fight to be first choice. 

Then you have the problem of convincing a club to sell you a CB that is well adapted to the Premier League, weakening them half way through a season. 

All easier said than done im afraid.

This is all true, but doesn't change my view that we need to sign a centre back in January to win the league.

7 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I was quite relaxed about the CB situation but you can see how it's affecting us not just defensively but offensively now too. It would be nice to have a player that would allow the team to push a bit further up and keep teams under the constant pressure they'd be under if our usual CBs were there. That means you can't just get any old Premier League plodder though just because they're 'experienced'. Thiago will help offensively if he stays fit

I think any signing from abroad would mean that we'd have to get one out too as we're currently at the limit? So you'd need to find a buyer for Origi for example

Doesn't Van Dijk count as non-HG? Take him out of the squad for the rest of the season. Alternatively, there will be financial implications, but I wouldn't be opposed to simply leaving out someone like Origi, Adrian or Minamino

30 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

This is all true, but doesn't change my view that we need to sign a centre back in January to win the league.

Doesn't Van Dijk count as non-HG? Take him out of the squad for the rest of the season. Alternatively, there will be financial implications, but I wouldn't be opposed to simply leaving out someone like Origi, Adrian or Minamino

None of those options would be popular in terms of keeping players in the squad happy either. Just take them out so they can't play another league game this season? I can't see Klopp ever going for that

• The topic was unpinned

Archived