talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Southampton 1-0 Liverpool - Monday 4th January, 2021

football forum

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

This is obviously a Liverpool biased thread but that young lad Diallo has had a brilliant game for Saints.

What a game to come in and perform.

Add Walker-Peters. 

England are blessed with young Right Backs. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same shit, different game. What else is there to say? Just so so poor, we just don’t look like putting any teams away right now.

The last five games against Fulham, Palace, West Brom, Newcastle & Saints has given us 6 points...just abysmal. 

• Subscriber

Bit tinpot there from Hassenhuttl. Does he think they've won the league because they've beaten the champions? Is that how it works in Germany or something? They'll get 2 points from their next four after that.

Rubbish performance in a long run of rubbish performances. Need to adjust our tactics ASAP because we’ve been a bit too shite to call ourselves legit contenders. We’ve just been fortunate everyone in the league has experienced similar substandardness this season.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Bit tinpot there from Hassenhuttl. Does he think they've won the league because they've beaten the champions? Is that how it works in Germany or something? They'll get 2 points from their next four after that.

Are they releasing a DVD?

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Hold on, we have no idea what he's going through personally. Let's face it he's not usually the guy to get so emotional so I'm guessing it's something beyond football causing that reaction. 

It’s bizarre how indecisive Liverpool are recently, especially when in the second half tonight they got into a few quite good positions. Even at the end after scheduled time, they’re trying to play out from a corner.

The obsession with cutting it back close to goal is the most obvious thing. I’m sure that, statistically, cutting it back is the most effective option, but against a side which is obviously prepared to defend against those kinds of balls, surely it wouldn’t hurt to take some shots, even if from slightly tight angles.

You don’t need to make a open goal chance to score. Robertson can blast it at the goalie from a tight angle, it can spill into a crowded box, anything can happen.

Sometimes you just need the make some chaos and hope for the ball to go into the net somehow. Liverpool used to stand out in a way that they were quite good at that, they seemed to score scrappy or unusual goals: they forced an OG, somebody controlled and turned on an iffy pass, someone fizzed it in from the edge of the box, someone pounced on a loose ball, somebody made a run from deep that nobody saw coming. 

16 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I think that's a bit harsh to be fair.

When you've lost Romeu, McCarthy, Adams and Vestergaard as a smaller club, with all the things that go on behind the scenes, and you have to take on Liverpool, all the preparation you do as a coach, I think it's understandable to pour out a bit of emotion. 

He showed a glimpse of that last year when they beat Man City in similar fashion. Fair play to him anyway, he's fast making a name for himself and so is his team.

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Stan said:

Hold on, we have no idea what he's going through personally. Let's face it he's not usually the guy to get so emotional so I'm guessing it's something beyond football causing that reaction. 

Players and managers go through stuff all the time and don't react like that very often over winning a league game in the middle of the season. Fair play to him for the win tonight whether there is more going on there or not, but it's still comment worthy.

11 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I think that's a bit harsh to be fair.

When you've lost Romeu, McCarthy, Adams and Vestergaard as a smaller club, with all the things that go on behind the scenes, and you have to take on Liverpool, all the preparation you do as a coach, I think it's understandable to pour out a bit of emotion. 

He showed a glimpse of that last year when they beat Man City in similar fashion. Fair play to him anyway, he's fast making a name for himself and so is his team.

Likewise, you could apply the middle paragraph here to literally any Premier League game where the winning manager doesn't collapse on the sideline and tear up as if he's just won a trophy or qualified for Europe. Teams have injuries all the time, have to play difficult opponents all the time and have to prepare for those games all the time.

I'm not slating him for it but it's not normal. If he has lost a family member or something then I'll take it back and admit that it's understandable, but that's pure speculation so I'm jumping to the Occam's razor here and assuming he either looks up to Klopp so much or idolises this Liverpool side so much that that fixture was like winning a trophy to him. In both of those cases, it isn't a normal reaction. Lampard didn't react like that when he beat Ancelotti (or Mourinho if he has), Arteta didn't react like that when his side beat Guardiola's, Dean Smith didn't react like that when his side beat the same Liverpool team.

Unless we have context to add to that reaction beyond what we've seen, I think it's a normal reaction to see a manager get that emotional over a regular league game, admittedly against the league champions and his managerial idol, and find it a bit weird. I certainly find it a bit weird.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Players and managers go through stuff all the time and don't react like that very often over winning a league game in the middle of the season. Fair play to him for the win tonight whether there is more going on there or not, but it's still comment worthy.

Likewise, you could apply the middle paragraph here to literally any Premier League game where the winning manager doesn't collapse on the sideline and tear up as if he's just won a trophy or qualified for Europe. Teams have injuries all the time, have to play difficult opponents all the time and have to prepare for those games all the time.

I'm not slating him for it but it's not normal. If he has lost a family member or something then I'll take it back and admit that it's understandable, but that's pure speculation so I'm jumping to the Occam's razor here and assuming he either looks up to Klopp so much or idolises this Liverpool side so much that that fixture was like winning a trophy to him. In both of those cases, it isn't a normal reaction. Lampard didn't react like that when he beat Ancelotti (or Mourinho if he has), Arteta didn't react like that when his side beat Guardiola's, Dean Smith didn't react like that when his side beat the same Liverpool team.

Unless we have context to add to that reaction beyond what we've seen, I think it's a normal reaction to see a manager get that emotional over a regular league game, admittedly against the league champions and his managerial idol, and find it a bit weird. I certainly find it a bit weird.

It's hardly tin-pot as you said though.

I mentioned something beyond football as a reaction and then you say that could be a reason to @Lucas :what:

The fact it's not normal reaction makes me think it's something very personal. That's not tinpot. He is human in a very tough time i.e. COVID...

injuries have ruined liverpool this season and not just because they have had world class players missing but not having the same team out for 5-6 games in a row means they cant get any consistency going. if you are changing players week in week out how can you get any consistency in your game. forget the title thats gone a top 4 finish is whats needed. 

Just now, Mpache said:

Why would you slate me for making an unpopular opinion then go on to say things like this?

because ings is a better striker than firmino. firmino is a top class player but he is a piss poor striker. 

3 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

injuries have ruined liverpool this season and not just because they have had world class players missing but not having the same team out for 5-6 games in a row means they cant get any consistency going. if you are changing players week in week out how can you get any consistency in your game. forget the title thats gone a top 4 finish is whats needed. 

The title is gone for Liverpool as they sit top of the leaguexD

Just now, Mpache said:

Why would you slate me for making an unpopular opinion then go on to say things like this?

Tbf Ings is more clinical, so if you're just going off goals - I don't think his view is all that controversial.

But if you put Ings back into this Liverpool side and ask him to do Firmino's job... well... we've already seen how that goes xD

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

It's hardly tin-pot as you said though.

I mentioned something beyond football as a reaction and then you say that could be a reason to @Lucas :what:

The fact it's not normal reaction makes me think it's something very personal. That's not tinpot. He is human in a very tough time i.e. COVID...

My response is to you both though.

You're dealing in speculation. I'm dealing in what we know. I just found it weird and I do think it's really tin pot actually for one relatively normal league game to evoke that emotional response in the absence of a different explanation.

Like I said if we find out that he lost his Mum last night or something then there's your explanation so I'll take it back if it emerges.

It was only a passing observation rather than me trying to dig the guy out massively, I'd have forgotten about it by now if you guys hadn't quoted my post xD.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived