talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Southampton 1-0 Liverpool - Monday 4th January, 2021

football forum

2 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Hid from the ball in buildup all day and made pointless forward runs which pinned both Trent and Salah back. You better be fucking good if you're going to hinder those two xD

I'm certain I've said it before, but he just doesn't fit in this team anymore, either in terms of style or ability

Yeah I disagreed with you before... but I agree now. I don’t think he fits in really.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Last week we were denied a stonewall penalty just because Mane wasn’t “clever” and stayed up with a keeper holding his legs back.

Why make players guess when they have to dive or not, and just have VAR properly review? Might actually discouraging diving if they could... get it right consistently?

The question there should be for players not to dive at all :what:

5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

A lot of huff and puff from Liverpool but what are they generally creating?

I don't even think they have had a shot on target and over an hour has been played.

The front three have all forgot how to do their jobs all at the same time. Brilliant isn’t it? 

I mean, it’s all well and good saying we have the ball and are controlling the game but it’s meaningless if we aren’t properly testing them, which we are not. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Last week we were denied a stonewall penalty just because Mane wasn’t “clever” and stayed up with a keeper holding his legs back.

Why make players guess when they have to dive or not, and just have VAR properly review? Might actually discouraging diving if they could... get it right consistently?

Let captains or managers send decisions to VAR. No need to dive if you think you've been fouled, just tell the captain.

Players know better than anyone what's happened on the pitch. Why not use that to make VAR more effective?

• Administrator

Southampton do very well to get a lot of players behind the ball when needed and block any attempts towards goal. 

Don't think Liverpool have had a shot on target yet. 

Just now, Burning Gold said:

Let captains or managers send decisions to VAR. No need to dive if you think you've been fouled, just tell the captain.

Players know better than anyone what's happened on the pitch. Why not use that to make VAR more effective?

I think step one with fixing the officiating and VAR is sacking Mike Riley. Idk how one of the most shit refs ever is now king of the referees.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it’s pretty clear why players go down easy - refs don’t call fouls when players are fouled too frequently.

But what Mane did is take another step and then fall. So he dived. Arms sprawling and everything. 

Regarding last week, not even Mane or other players even appealed for a penalty. That wasn't dependant on him falling over or not. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Rick said:

Trent off for Milner? Wtf is that about? 

No idea what that's all about. Alexander-Arnold definitely wasn't happy either! 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

But what Mane did is take another step and then fall. So he dived. Arms sprawling and everything. 

Regarding last week, not even Mane or other players even appealed for a penalty. That wasn't dependant on him falling over or not. 

Yeah I’ve seen penalties given for the other dye and fall, this season, with VAR. So VAR had rewarded diving before... and I’m sure it will do it again.

I think last week he 100% gets a penalty if he falls down.

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Just said on sky that Trent gave the ball away 38 times, which is a new record. 

But for Milner? When we have Jones & Minamino on the bench and we are desperate for some creativity, 

I’m also not having anybody burying their heads in the sand over this centre back situation anymore. It’s clear as day that we are desperate for one, having to take Henderson out of the midfield now to deputise? Fuck that, get and centre back in and let’s stop pissing about. 

None of us who want one are calling for a makeshift signing either, if we have to spend some money then so be it. 

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Jones and Minamino can't play RB

Saints are hardly piling on us are they? I think we can figure out a way around that. Or just don’t take Trent off? Milner is hardly going to do any better going forward even if Trent has given the ball away plenty. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived