talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ray Wilkins Slams Clubs For Not Appointing Sherwood, Giggs and McCleish

"We’re not getting a lot of respect from the clubs to be perfectly honest,” Wilkins told

talkSPORT. “You’ve got Ryan Giggs sitting out there, you’ve got Tim Sherwood sitting out there, Garry Monk now without a job.

“We’ve got Alex McLeish, just sitting out there waiting for jobs. This is very sad, we’re bringing in a reserve coach (Daniel Farke at Norwich). Our guys don’t get employed through Europe, which is quite sad.

“We’re bringing in coaches we don’t know about – and this is a tough old league, the Championship. When you’re walking into that 46 games a season…I just wish we’d start using some of our young bloke"

:clown:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

'we're bringing in coahes we don't know about'.

well maybe the ones we do know about aren't that good. Sherwood is a wreck for starters. 

Maybe the young blokes just aren't good enough? It's like when people like Sol Campbell say there aren't enough black coaches/managers about. Well, maybe they're just not good enough! You don't hire someone because of the colour of their skin. 

Maybe some prospective managers, in their interviews with the club, have more in common and match the ambition of the owners. 

If they wanted a job that badly, they would step down to a much lower level and actually build up a track record as a manger rather than expect a Championship team to just appoint them. Maybe even try and work in a country other than England. 

I hate stuff like this.

If they're good enough, they'll be appointed. Sean Dyche didn't have any trouble getting another job when he left Watford, Neil Warnock gets plenty of offers, Eddie Howe, Tony Pulis etc. 

And that rubbish about black managers never getting jobs, Chris Hughton has never had any problem.

Garry Monk has just quit his job, he had one.

What is he expecting? Sherwood hasn't proven himself and tbh I wouldn't want him at Brentford.

Ryan Giggs, Im sure there's plenty of League 1 & 2 clubs willing to have him, he was offered the Swansea role.

• Administrator

Ray Wilkins is a thoroughly decent, likeable and respected man ... but he's blinded by unfounded loyalty to shit managers simply because of their nationality. When he makes remarks such as these it just makes him look completely at odds with the modern game and a 'little Ingerlander'.

The reality is British managers with the exception of a minority do not know enough of the basics. McClaren, found some of what he learned in Holland during his time with Twente a revelation. Tactics and training that is considered obvious there. This from a man who had previously coached England. It sums up why there is a dearth of good British managers

It's just fashionable to appoint foreign coaches from nowhere at the moment. Just as once upon a time everyone wanted to appoint Mick McCarthy, Paul Jewell types because that was deemed how you get promoted.

Wagner, Stam, Jokanovic, Carvahal all in the top 6. There will be a lot more copycat behaviour until some start getting it wrong.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

It's just fashionable to appoint foreign coaches from nowhere at the moment. Just as once upon a time everyone wanted to appoint Mick McCarthy, Paul Jewell types because that was deemed how you get promoted.

Wagner, Stam, Jokanovic, Carvahal all in the top 6. There will be a lot more copycat behaviour until some start getting it wrong.

I wouldn't call it fashionable, I would class it clubs looking for new approaches and alternative training methods something sorely lacking in British managers 

Foreign coaches generally have an attitude to self-development, and a seriousness about how they go about preparing their teams, that is simply hard to find in Britain. 

The culture here is still dominated by traditional wisdom, and successful players, or coaches who have blown 10 chances already, feeling like they have a divine right to coach without developing their skills at all. Coaches in Germany, and elsewhere, study hard and build up real experience wherever they can get it. They know how hard being a manager is, and they take nothing for granted.  

Ray Wilkins votes UKIP and voted Leave.

There's a simple reason that teams in the Championship are now tending to look abroad rather than looking at 'home grown' managers, they're simply better than what we produce in the UK. 

Our coaches don't go abroad because they're lazy IMO. 

7 minutes ago, Batard said:

I wouldn't call it fashionable, I would class it clubs looking for new approaches and alternative training methods something sorely lacking in British managers 

I don't think club directors are that smart. xD 

Norwich in particular are just mimicking Huddersfield and expecting the same results. They're too dumb to come up with that idea off the top of their head.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Norwich in particular are just mimicking Huddersfield and expecting the same results. They're too dumb to come up with that idea off the top of their head.

Well, when you put it like that 😂

20 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Or Norwich have seen the success at Huddersfield, looked further afield as a result and realised that there are better choices out there than the same handful of managers who get job after job, despite not being all that good. 

18 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Or Norwich have seen the success at Huddersfield, looked further afield as a result and realised that there are better choices out there than the same handful of managers who get job after job, despite not being all that good. 

eh, the first part is exactly what copying is. The second part is illogical as their judgement as to whether a choice is better or not in this situation cannot be separated from the desire to copy.

1 hour ago, HoneyNUFC said:

The director of football left Huddersfield to join Norwich which would explain this.

It is a gamble, but there's very few good proven options out there, if any.

• Subscriber

Fed up of entitlement culture. It's precisely that mentality that makes people avoid said managers.

Where has this myth that Ryan Giggs is a great manager come from? Clubs get stick for not appointing him but what has he done to justify getting a Premier League job, or even Championship?

They bang the British managers drum yet I bet they won't say a word if we hand it to Shakespeare. Only matters if it's the medias mates.

Not that this has anything to do with the topic being discussed, but that spat between Ray Wilkins and that journalist Neil Custis on talksport a few weeks ago was very funny:

Custis is just a complete clown (and symbolises the poor standard of football journalism in this country), while Wilkins is one of those dinosaurs who has the mentality that to truly understand the sport you need to have played it at a professional level. Robbie Savage is another one who fits that category. 

I read the following comment by a user on a you-tube video, and I think it hits the nail on the head regarding the likes of Sherwood and Stuart Pearce and their managerial deficiencies: 

'You will hear the same from Tim Sherwood re: Tottenham (search). This is why English managers fail hard in modern football. Blood and Guts, pride, leadershp, 'manning up' etc. That is pub/80's psychology. Its actually a pretty good example of Generation Gap. You need to understand the psychology of  modern footballers to get the best out of them. None of the things Pearce talks about matter to modern athletes' 

Archived