talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Worst Games You've Ever Played

football forum

• Subscriber

I was thinking about this today as I read more venom spewed at Cyberpunk. What are some of the worst games I have ever played? I think most of us on here have at some point paid for something and thought god this is so horrible what were they thinking when they made this?

Growing up in the 90s I did play some horrendous shit but the one I think stands out for me is Hotel Mario because it really strayed from everything that Nintendo had so carefully crafted with all the success it had just had.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funnily enough, I think I played Hotel Mario as well and wondered what the fuck I was actually doing. xD

One of the worst I played was Cybersled. It looked wank from what I remember and there wasn't much to it overall. You can also add Battle Arena Toshinden and that Star Wars fighting game as well. Both awful games from what I remember, especially the latter. 

I think I've mentioned on here as well that I really didn't like Resident Evil 6 either. Looked very good but other than that, it was a slog. Completed Leon's campaign in co-op but the save got corrupted near the beginning of Chris's campaign, which was the best thing to happen to the game really. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Funnily enough, I think I played Hotel Mario as well and wondered what the fuck I was actually doing. xD

One of the worst I played was Cybersled. It looked wank from what I remember and there wasn't much to it overall. You can also add Battle Arena Toshinden and that Star Wars fighting game as well. Both awful games from what I remember, especially the latter. 

I think I've mentioned on here as well that I really didn't like Resident Evil 6 either. Looked very good but other than that, it was a slog. Completed Leon's campaign in co-op but the save got corrupted near the beginning of Chris's campaign, which was the best thing to happen to the game really. 

Ah Battle Arena Toshinden what a trip down memory lane. As for RE6 yeah it was terribly cumbersome even if it tried to properly close out a big phase of RE.

In terms of personal disappointment, I'll go with the Thief reboot.

For some context - I am a massive fan of the original Thief games. Imo Dishonored was the true spiritual successor to Thief (even though there was a lot more to the game than in Thief). And to the game's credit, I thought the graphics were brilliant. And I thought it had very good stealth mechanics on the surface of it. And getting around the city felt... nice.

But that's about where the game met expectations. The storytelling is pretty rubbish for a game that was in development for so long. If you remember the first games, Garrett (who is voiced by the same person who does Corvo's voice in Dishonored 2 in the original games) had some pretty decent character development for a game where you just sneak around by yourself... because of the personality the voice actor imparted onto him. None of that shite at all in the game either.

They take storytelling to the approach of finding lore scattered around the world, like Elders Scrolls or Fallout. But unlike those games, which give you enough taste of a story to feel compelled to hunt out the lore and explore the game's world... Thief did none of that. I didn't feel compelled at all to learn more about the story other than by just completing my missions. The story itself doesn't focus on any of the mystical steampunk backdrop of The City, which the other games used to tell their story either.

Narrative-wise, the game just isn't interesting. Which is a shame considering Thief I and II.

Then gameplay wise... I've got mixed feelings on them - but they're mostly bad. The movement and stealth mechanics, as I said, are pretty nice for a stealth game. Early on, I had some very fun stealthy moments in the game that made me think "aw yeah, this series has still got it!" But where the game falls short compared to other Thief games, and other superior stealth games, is they've taken some of the "choice" in how you play the game.

The worst of it: the forced combat sequences. Thief games have always dissuaded brute force over stealth - and honestly in games like Thief/Dishonored, I enjoy the challenge of a run where I am completely stealthy and nobody sees me and I kill nobody (in Dishonored games this is done after several very violent playthroughs). While the stealth mechanics of the game are great, they could not have made combat more clunky. It seemed like a really shitty and lazy way of keeping combat weak, as is the case in most Thief games, but... by putting us in forced combat sequences with utterly shite combat gameplay... it made me really hate parts of the game.

Another reason why Thief/Dishonored games are so great is the brilliant map design. This reboot failed miserably in this regard, which was incredible because it's the "first open world Thief" game. The map design doesn't feel like there was a cohesive thought behind why/how certain areas were linked together. Trying to find vendors in between completing objectives was a pain in the arse at times.

All in all, it's a reboot that failed to live up to so many things that made the original games so great. As a fan of the originals and the genre that the originals were a part of creating... it was just a truly disappointing experience. A good Thief game should have loads of replayability, imo. This game I struggled to complete and once I did, I promptly uninstalled it and have no interest in ever playing it again.

• Subscriber
On 08/01/2021 at 00:40, Cicero said:

Those that are claiming Cyberpunk is a bad game are genuine vaginas. xD

After playing it for 3 hrs I can safely say this is 100% true (but I did play it only on PC)

I remember a few years back on the PS4. Pro-Evo was flying, each year it was released it was immense. One of the releases was just horrendous, they even admitted themselves it was some sort of stop-gap. Going to find out which year it was, seriously was fucking dire. 

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

How you liking it so far?

I like it a lot. I cant believe I'll be done soon haha. The camera angles and the movements are a bit shifty but overall I cant see why anyone would rate this poorly unless they were playing it on a console then I kind of get it.

20 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I like it a lot. I cant believe I'll be done soon haha. The camera angles and the movements are a bit shifty but overall I cant see why anyone would rate this poorly unless they were playing it on a console then I kind of get it.

Aye main story line far too quick. 

There's different endings but after you beat the game it just leaves a dark cloud kind of feeling when you continue to play. You'll know what I mean. 

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Aren’t most of its criticisms about the state of the launch rather than the quality of the game?

I have it on PS4 and those claiming it’s ‘unplayable’ and deem it a bad game as a result are pansies. 

26 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I have it on PS4 and those claiming it’s ‘unplayable’ and deem it a bad game as a result are pansies. 

Mine was unplayable... because I had a physical copy and disc 2 was a blank Blu-ray with no data on it xD - a digital copy probably would have done the trick, but after returning it I figure I’ll just wait til they’ve ironed everything out.

From what I’ve seen it’s just very buggy and if you’ve got an original Xbox One it looks like dogshit...

I can forgive bugs, it’s just a bit shit after a game that’s been in development for so long. I’m sure they’ll fix it and they’re just unlucky to be releasing in the middle of a pandemic. But it’s still weird for a game so long in the making.

9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Mine was unplayable... because I had a physical copy and disc 2 was a blank Blu-ray with no data on it xD - a digital copy probably would have done the trick, but after returning it I figure I’ll just wait til they’ve ironed everything out.

From what I’ve seen it’s just very buggy and if you’ve got an original Xbox One it looks like dogshit...

I can forgive bugs, it’s just a bit shit after a game that’s been in development for so long. I’m sure they’ll fix it and they’re just unlucky to be releasing in the middle of a pandemic. But it’s still weird for a game so long in the making.

I stopped buying disks after FIFA 18 when my PS4 kept spitting out my disk mid game for no reason what so ever. 

I have it on PS4 which received just as much criticism as on Xbox One, and I reiterate that some criticisms are well over the top. It is still a great game to play.  People tend to forget Skyrim was a buggy game when it first launched. 

29 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I stopped buying disks after FIFA 18 when my PS4 kept spitting out my disk mid game for no reason what so ever. 

I have it on PS4 which received just as much criticism as on Xbox One, and I reiterate that some criticisms are well over the top. It is still a great game to play.  People tend to forget Skyrim was a buggy game when it first launched. 

Skyrim is still buggy tbh

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to The Worst Games You've Ever Played

Archived